Tagging Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

We tag them all within 48 hours, usually within 24 hours of birth. They get the same # as mama, and we use white for heifers and orange for bulls/steers. We use Y-tex blank tags, calf size for calves and cow size for cows. I like to use the ink that comes in a bottle to write on the tags, it takes a bit longer to dry, but lasts forever. And, we reuse the tags, both for cows and calves. Ours also get an RFID tag if they are going to be sold, as it is mandatory here. Plus, we weigh, band, paste and tattoo them all at the same time as they are tagged.

We have calves all year long. (Not popular with everybody.) So we have started putting their year, month and birth order. For instance calf #723 is 3rd calf in Feb, 07 and #7310 is the 10th calf in March, 07. Sure helps when you're out in the pasture comparing the calves.

Cuz

we use agri tag and put them in as soon after birth as we can. the cows all are x-large red tags and the calf gets a numbers tag to match the cows number we use a different color each year, o6 yellow, 07 green, 08 blue. steers left ear heifers right ear. replacements get a cow tag when they have been confirmed safe in calf.
bulls are all #50 color changes by year they enter the herd, green #50 2006, blue #50 2008, you get the idea.

Bez+":35vyho44 said:
Soon as they hit the ground to as late as 30 seconds before they get on the truck.

Bez+

icon_nod.gif
icon_nod.gif
icon_nod.gif
icon_nod.gif
icon_nod.gif

We tag bulls in the right and heifers in the left also. When you are seperating it makes it ALOT easier.

every calf gets a tag in the same ear, bulls/steers are one color and heifers are another. i use laser printed Z-tags. they seem to work pretty good.

Heifers are white, steers are orange. One in each ear. One tag is pre-numbered, the other is marker pen. The marker pen I add the year number in front of the number matching the other ear. With two tags I still know who is who even if one gets lost or ripped out.

if we lose one we replace with a white blank and write the color and #. what marker works the best on the tags, last the longest.????

danl":3uc7smkz said:
msscamp":3uc7smkz said:
sewall":3uc7smkz said:
I was just wondering what the earliest time you can tag a calf is. Can you do it at a couple days?

You can tag them at birth, if you wanted to.
I usually prefer to wait til they at least hit the ground :D

I can understand that, but if you tag them as they are coming out you don't have to worry about Mom putting you on the fence, or in the hay ring! ;-) :lol: :lol:

ArrowHBrand":ttqdepw5 said:
Any bulls get banded when they are tagged and all of our calves get Scour Guard ASAP after birth.

I'm curious as to why you do this? A calf's immune system is undeveloped until about 3, maybe 4, months of age - hence the importance of colostrum - and he cannot utilize vaccines until his immune system is developed. Would it not be better to Scourguard the mothers prior to birth?