synchronization question

Help Support CattleToday:

sizmic":1yomgbbp said:
dun":1yomgbbp said:
A few years ago it was common poractice to use the CIDRs from mexico twice then throw them a way. You can;t do that with the ones from the US

Why not, I do? Actually got 3 out of some.

Sizmic

Some folks around here that got used to using the ones from mexico tried the multiple use deal with the US made ones. Never worked for them.
I asked the vet about it and he said that the magic juice (whatever it is) is much less in the US made ones.

Has anyone used MGA-Select? From what I've read on the internet, that GnRH shot sure tightens up the ovulation. Same protocol as CIDR-select but $8 less money per head.

dun":2xgrocge said:
If they're standing breed them 12 hours later. As someone else said, cows don;t read labels. They don;t know they're supposed to come into heat at a specific time.
Sounds like a real firm grasp of the Obvious to me -- good job

I've tried several programs including CIDR's and Co-Synch or Ova-Synch (all with timed AI) and haven't liked any of them. In talking to a lot of people that have tried them if you get 50% conception that is probably about average. I have heard some getting up to 60-65% but more that get 35-40%.

I simply use a one shot protoglandin (Lutalyse or Estrumate) system and breed on observed heats. The cows are only handled twice, which means only splitting calves twice as opposed to handling four times in the other systems. I have gotten pretty good at catching heats and when a large group is synched they are pretty easy to find. I check twice or three times a day for about an hour each time.
I think in the end I probably spend the same amount of time with the cattle, just more of it watching them and interacting with the herd and less handling, chasing, giving needles etc. I know which i enjoy more.

In Alberta my one shot system costs me $5/head; CIDRS system would cost about $30/head and Co-Synch about $15/head.

We get 70-80% conception with a one shot system and AI'ing 12 hours after observed stand. The drawback with this system is that if the cows have cycled within the last week before the shot they won't respond so you only ever breed about 65% of the cows. However i don't mind having a few calves close in age from my clean-up bulls to see how they stack-up.

The positives to this sytem are that I spend less money on drugs, less money on semen and spend less time working the cattle and in the end I still get close to 50% of my cows AI'ed.

To be fair I have had varying success with heifers; with cows it works great and with heifers it seems to be hit and miss.

Willow Springs":2rjem0qv said:
I've tried several programs including CIDR's and Co-Synch or Ova-Synch (all with timed AI) and haven't liked any of them. In talking to a lot of people that have tried them if you get 50% conception that is probably about average. I have heard some getting up to 60-65% but more that get 35-40%.

I simply use a one shot protoglandin (Lutalyse or Estrumate) system and breed on observed heats. The cows are only handled twice, which means only splitting calves twice as opposed to handling four times in the other systems. I have gotten pretty good at catching heats and when a large group is synched they are pretty easy to find. I check twice or three times a day for about an hour each time.
I think in the end I probably spend the same amount of time with the cattle, just more of it watching them and interacting with the herd and less handling, chasing, giving needles etc. I know which i enjoy more.

In Alberta my one shot system costs me $5/head; CIDRS system would cost about $30/head and Co-Synch about $15/head.

We get 70-80% conception with a one shot system and AI'ing 12 hours after observed stand. The drawback with this system is that if the cows have cycled within the last week before the shot they won't respond so you only ever breed about 65% of the cows. However i don't mind having a few calves close in age from my clean-up bulls to see how they stack-up.

The positives to this sytem are that I spend less money on drugs, less money on semen and spend less time working the cattle and in the end I still get close to 50% of my cows AI'ed.

To be fair I have had varying success with heifers; with cows it works great and with heifers it seems to be hit and miss.

My usual protocol that yields the best results for me is two shots of Estrumate, 11 days apart and heat observe for 5 days breeding 12 hours after the onset of standing heat and turn the clean up bull in two weeks later. A rising plane of condition from about 4 weeks prior to AI till 6 weeks after AI is the key to the success with this system.

KNERSIE":2etpkx6t said:
My usual protocol that yields the best results for me is two shots of Estrumate, 11 days apart and heat observe for 5 days breeding 12 hours after the onset of standing heat and turn the clean up bull in two weeks later. A rising plane of condition from about 4 weeks prior to AI till 6 weeks after AI is the key to the success with this system.

Here GnRH is cheaper then the various LPF2s so I use the GnRH follwed 7 days later by Lute (LPF2) and breed on observed heat. We don;t do many, maybe 1 or 2 every few years. Last year we tried to move up a copule of cows, one settled and one didn;t. That was the only time we've had one not settle from doing it that way

dun":20yoothr said:
A few years ago it was common poractice to use the CIDRs from mexico twice then throw them a way. You can;t do that with the ones from the US
This is incorrect information --- CIDR's can be used twice if you wash them with clean cold water, put them in a ziplock bag individually and seal them. The only problem I see with doing this (which I prefer not to do) is the possible and liklihood of Vibrio. A CIDR costs $8.95 a piece and if that is breaking the Bank maybe you should be doing something else?
Mc Donalds is Hiring!

:tiphat:

4CTophand":3jkr0cn8 said:
dun":3jkr0cn8 said:
This is incorrect information --- CIDR's can be used twice if you wash them with clean cold water, put them in a ziplock bag individually and seal them. The only problem I see with doing this (which I prefer not to do) is the possible and liklihood of Vibrio. A CIDR costs $8.95 a piece and if that is breaking the Bank maybe you should be doing something else?
Mc Donalds is Hiring!

If you're going to use the quote function at least get the right person associated with it

dun":1jctiezo said:
4CTophand":1jctiezo said:
dun":1jctiezo said:
Mc Donalds is Hiring!

If you're going to use the quote function at least get the right person associated with it
I DID

Keren":1p5fpit3 said:
dun":1p5fpit3 said:

4th post on the 2nd page of this thread.

Sorry dun :oops:

Yup, sure enough. I stand corrected. When we started using US available CIDRs you couldn;t, anyway the people that were trying them twice weren;t having much success.

I know when I started a thread about CIDRs a while back, and I said that I used em 3 times, most people on this board were like 'what, huh? you cant do that' and I was mighty confused until I think it was Jeanne Simm who pointed out that Oz CIDRs are stronger than US CIDRS.

Sigh, I have to buy more CIDRs this year, I've used em 3 times already. They go in the does in Feb, so I'd better get my arse into gear. I cant believe its almost time to join again.

Is there any way to tell if it still has potentcy, so a person could use it again. Or is everyone guessing.

Latest posts