Swamp Logger--> Ask me a Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Bobby, have you ever logged in Wooly Swamp at night? I hear theres things in the middle of them woods that would make a grown man run from fright. Things that crawl, things that fly and things that creep around on the ground. They say that the ghost of Lucious Clay gets up and he walks around. Have you ever found any mason jars with Lucious's money in it buried anywhere in there? Inquiring minds want to know??????

talldog":1z4n8d7j said:
I've known the Goodson family for years. They live about 40miles from me. There's 4 or 5 brothers and all tough as a lighter knot ! 2 have gone bankrupt after 50 years in the buisness---Several kids still trying, but timber buisness gone to pot around here. Bobby has probably done the best in pulp ! The rest in pine and some pulp.
Corbetts are a old family around here with VAST holdings of timber, farming land and CASH !!! The swamps around here are something to see !! :)

Interesting. I sure wouldn't want to tangle with Bobby. I think the show will hit it big time next year. They are already filming for next season. This could be bigger than the deadliest catch show.

HOSS":1hajs0cz said:
Bobby, have you ever logged in Wooly Swamp at night? I hear theres things in the middle of them woods that would make a grown man run from fright. Things that crawl, things that fly and things that creep around on the ground. They say that the ghost of Lucious Clay gets up and he walks around. Have you ever found any mason jars with Lucious's money in it buried anywhere in there? Inquiring minds want to know??????

No, but I was thinking about drinking some shine to Charlie Daniels music tonight. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

http://www.charliedaniels.com/lyrics/swamp.html

Gators can't warm their bodies so they won't make it here in Carolina. We have some water moccasin about as big around as my biceps though.

About the only thing we have to watch out for besides the obvious is running up on people parking and the guys the own the stills.

Are you serious about you liking to hep people? If so, I needs me a job. I want to run that loader thingy majig or even the cut-down machine. My doctor said I was allergic to chainsaws so I can't run one of these. But I can run about anything that has a cab and aircondtioning. I know a lot about equipment. Worked on a farm for three years an I bet I wore out a tractor a year.

I can start Monday if you want. How do you pay? I'd prefer cash cause I don't want to mess up my disability check. Will you furnish me a cell phone too? I'm a little behind on my payments on mine so this will be a big plus in my decision as to whether or not I'll work for you. BTW - I need the text messaging too. And don't worry, I can text with one hand so it won't get in the way of my work at all. I will have to take a few phone calls throughout the day though. See the girl I stay with is pregnant and we are expecting our fifth child. (she got three more children but I claim them as codepenants on my tax return) If you pay me enough money and if I like the job I'll even name the baby after you whether its a girl or a boy. I'll even do this if it twins. Twins. Man just the thought of it makes me all jittery inside. That'd be like getting a bonus before Christmas. Speaking of bonuses. You give them? Are they cash? You know I think its a new law that you gotta give bonuses. Pretty sure that's right. You ought to do this just to be sure.

You said you find moonshine stills in those swamps. More I think about the more I wanna run that track thingy ma bobber that cuts down trees. What about pot patches. Find many of these? Reason I ask is that I'm allergic to pot an if I run across any I'll probably have to take the rest of the day off so I can go home an take my medicine. I'll be back the next day though. Just need a few hours is all. I can even take your truck so you won't have to miss any work. You do give paid sick leave don't you? I think that's a federal law too. Yep. Pretty sure it is.

Man I'm looking forward to being a logger. I'll be ready to go to work Monday morning bright and early. Ya'll just come on by the place I stay at and pick me up around 10 or 10:30. You might just want to stay in the truck and blow the horn cause I got some pit bulls and they don't like strangers to much. Oh BTW - if I don't come out right away you may need to just keep blowing the horn. See we don't get the party going really good till Sunday and sometimes the poker games will run into the wee hours of the morning but I'll be there so just keep on blowing the horn. See you Monday morning bright and early!

Jogeephus":1j9d08t7 said:
Are you serious about you liking to hep people? If so, I needs me a job. I want to run that loader thingy majig or even the cut-down machine. My doctor said I was allergic to chainsaws so I can't run one of these. But I can run about anything that has a cab and aircondtioning. I know a lot about equipment. Worked on a farm for three years an I bet I wore out a tractor a year.

I can start Monday if you want. How do you pay? I'd prefer cash cause I don't want to mess up my disability check. Will you furnish me a cell phone too? I'm a little behind on my payments on mine so this will be a big plus in my decision as to whether or not I'll work for you. BTW - I need the text messaging too. And don't worry, I can text with one hand so it won't get in the way of my work at all. I will have to take a few phone calls throughout the day though. See the girl I stay with is pregnant and we are expecting our fifth child. (she got three more children but I claim them as codepenants on my tax return) If you pay me enough money and if I like the job I'll even name the baby after you whether its a girl or a boy. I'll even do this if it twins. Twins. Man just the thought of it makes me all jittery inside. That'd be like getting a bonus before Christmas. Speaking of bonuses. You give them? Are they cash? You know I think its a new law that you gotta give bonuses. Pretty sure that's right. You ought to do this just to be sure.

You said you find moonshine stills in those swamps. More I think about the more I wanna run that track thingy ma bobber that cuts down trees. What about pot patches. Find many of these? Reason I ask is that I'm allergic to pot an if I run across any I'll probably have to take the rest of the day off so I can go home an take my medicine. I'll be back the next day though. Just need a few hours is all. I can even take your truck so you won't have to miss any work. You do give paid sick leave don't you? I think that's a federal law too. Yep. Pretty sure it is.

Man I'm looking forward to being a logger. I'll be ready to go to work Monday morning bright and early. Ya'll just come on by the place I stay at and pick me up around 10 or 10:30. You might just want to stay in the truck and blow the horn cause I got some pit bulls and they don't like strangers to much. Oh BTW - if I don't come out right away you may need to just keep blowing the horn. See we don't get the party going really good till Sunday and sometimes the poker games will run into the wee hours of the morning but I'll be there so just keep on blowing the horn. See you Monday morning bright and early!

You know, it is easy to help people that don't need help. Anyone can help someone that is a buddy to a buddy and nothing usually changes in the person's life. I prefer to help those that society has cast off. You won't find many that will provide a job to a person that hasn't has a bath in a week because people have a tendency to think they are better.

You and I know though, that helping someone to provide a meal for their child is much more important than the new parking lot pavement the church may provide. The congregation donates their hard earned money in the form of tithing for the spanking new pavement at the church, while I am out in the swamps feeding guys than hadn't eaten in a week because they spend all their pocket change on moonshine and meth.

Since you seem to be an honest man, instead of hiding your true nature, I will gladly help you. I can trust you more than my pastor.

HerefordSire":3w1a4a51 said:
Since you seem to be an honest man, instead of hiding your true nature, I will gladly help you. I can trust you more than my pastor.

So that's what that means. See we got a little saying around here that you should "never trust anyone with sawdust on their clothes and a Bible on their dashboard." Makes sense now. Ya see, I learn fast. :banana:

Jogeephus":3hdlpp4v said:
HerefordSire":3hdlpp4v said:

So that's what that means. See we got a little saying around here that you should "never trust anyone with sawdust on their clothes and a Bible on their dashboard." Makes sense now. Ya see, I learn fast. :banana:

I figure we are all players in the same game. Some of us look like we can be trusted. Some of us look like we can't be trusted. In my experience, the opposite is usually the case. The ones that appear to live by the good book, are many time the ones to be most cautious of. I would rather work with a man that can look me into the eye and tell me he is a cheat and a liar because I can give him an opportunity to improve himself. This the type of man I choose to bump elbows with.

HerefordSire":2i6vpga8 said:
You may have seen my crew on Discovery Channel. We are swamp loggers in North Carolina. We specialize cutting swamp hardwood and pulp wood in frozen swamps. Go ahead...Ask me a question.

Bet a lot of that swamp hardwood is hollow...what do you do with those??

alacattleman":1fycvpnr said:
me and ol' riechear lookin' for work dragging logs

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Bammy, my daddy showed me how to use draft horses to pull logs. When the horses got stuck in the swamp, most of the time we can get 'em out but not all the time. How long does it take your crew to pay off a good draft horse?

TexasBred":1i29t9nc said:
HerefordSire":1i29t9nc said:
You may have seen my crew on Discovery Channel. We are swamp loggers in North Carolina. We specialize cutting swamp hardwood and pulp wood in frozen swamps. Go ahead...Ask me a question.

Pulp, usually for cardboard boxes. Once the ole chipper gets done with 'em, the holes don't exist. Most of our swamp timber is not hollow though. I have seen timber buyers tell landowners that before.... to buy timber at below market prices. There is no need to get the better end of any deal. Around these parts, word gets around pretty fast. It is always better to get the raw end of a deal as long as we can stay in business.

alacattleman":j5h1p0lo said:
all summer, good pair of mules set you back

One of your animals might find a patch of quicksand and disappear. That would be the same as your summer wages disappearing. It would be less expansive for me to feed your animals all day long and teach you how to run one of these skidders.

HerefordSire":1mrtinhl said:
TexasBred":1mrtinhl said:
HerefordSire":1mrtinhl said:

Pulp, usually for cardboard boxes. Once the ole chipper gets done with 'em, the holes don't exist. Most of our swamp timber is not hollow though. I have seen timber buyers tell landowners that before.... to buy timber at below market prices. There is no need to get the better end of any deal. Around these parts, word gets around pretty fast. It is always better to get the raw end of a deal as long as we can stay in business.

Sold a tract of timber about 30 years ago....about 80 acres was bottomland that held water..a lot of redoaks and pin oaks....big old trees....90% of them were hollow...as soon as the logger cut about 4-5 inches into them they could hear the hollow sound and pull the saw out and leave them....within a year 90% of them blew down and it looked like a bomb went off....but they were all hollow as well. I had sold it by the acre so it didn't cost me anything and they had to pile it and burn it.

HerefordSire":t58la9iw said:
alacattleman":t58la9iw said:
all summer, good pair of mules set you back

One of your animals might find a patch of quicksand and disappear. That would be the same as your summer wages disappearing. It would be less expansive for me to feed your animals all day long and teach you how to run one of these skidders.
i don't know, them mule's eat a right smart.. plus richear is plum skeered of skidders,,, his brother got throwed out of one and kilt, busted his head open like a melon

TexasBred":2j3nefte said:
Sold a tract of timber about 30 years ago....about 80 acres was bottomland that held water..a lot of redoaks and pin oaks....big old trees....90% of them were hollow...as soon as the logger cut about 4-5 inches into them they could hear the hollow sound and pull the saw out and leave them....within a year 90% of them blew down and it looked like a bomb went off....but they were all hollow as well. I had sold it by the acre so it didn't cost me anything and they had to pile it and burn it.

The real big ones are usually the hollow ones. But they make many cardboard boxes as long as you have access to equipment that can handle 'em. If you get the medium size about 2' in diameter, you can take a baseball bat and hit one real hard in the sweet spot of the bat, like a baseball player, and you will know real quick if you hit a homerun.

alacattleman":2hab73i0 said:
i don't know, them mule's eat a right smart.. plus richear is plum skeered of skidders,,, his brother got throwed out of one and kilt, busted his head open like a melon

The only way I know how to conquer fear is to not have any choice. Do your boys have a choice?

HerefordSire":1qtn766a said:
alacattleman":1qtn766a said:

The only way I know how to conquer fear is to not have any choice. Do your boys have a choice?
don't know,, see if we can round one up

HerefordSire":j5eo7z3m said:
You know, it is easy to help people that don't need help. Anyone can help someone that is a buddy to a buddy and nothing usually changes in the person's life. I prefer to help those that society has cast off. You won't find many that will provide a job to a person that hasn't has a bath in a week because people have a tendency to think they are better.

A mexican guy approached me a few years ago hunting work. He said he was wanting to earn enough money to buy some food. On a hunch I hired him and gave him $20 for a food and told him to meet me there at 8 in the morning and I'd help get him started. Next morning he was a no show. I'm pi$$ed. About 11 oclock I hear some banging in the woods and I go back there and find he has already put down half the posts. Long story short, he fenced the whole thing in half the time 3 of the regular guys would have done it in and boy did he do it right. Better than me. I made a few phone calls and found him a full time job putting in fiber optic cable. Pay for this was way more than I could afford to pay him doing farm work. Oh, I also paid him what I thought the value of his fencing work was as a total job rather than an hourly price. While he wasn't much to look at he was one helluva worker.

Jogeephus":1451mhjj said:
HerefordSire":1451mhjj said:

A mexican guy approached me a few years ago hunting work. He said he was wanting to earn enough money to buy some food. On a hunch I hired him and gave him $20 for a food and told him to meet me there at 8 in the morning and I'd help get him started. Next morning he was a no show. I'm pi$$ed. About 11 oclock I hear some banging in the woods and I go back there and find he has already put down half the posts. Long story short, he fenced the whole thing in half the time 3 of the regular guys would have done it in and boy did he do it right. Better than me. I made a few phone calls and found him a full time job putting in fiber optic cable. Pay for this was way more than I could afford to pay him doing farm work. Oh, I also paid him what I thought the value of his fencing work was as a total job rather than an hourly price. While he wasn't much to look at he was one helluva worker.

In a way I hate to say it but-----That's been my experience also !!!! :roll: :roll:

Latest posts