• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Swamp Logger--> Ask me a Question

Help Support CattleToday:

HerefordSire

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 2, 2006
Messages
5,212
Reaction score
0
Location
Arkansas
You may have seen my crew on Discovery Channel. We are swamp loggers in North Carolina. We specialize cutting swamp hardwood and pulp wood in frozen swamps. Go ahead...Ask me a question.
 

john250

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 27, 2006
Messages
8,301
Reaction score
0
Location
Holton, IN elevation 768 ft
HerefordSire":1ykqkjvl said:
You may have seen my crew on Discovery Channel. We are swamp loggers in North Carolina. We specialize cutting swamp hardwood and pulp wood in frozen swamps. Go ahead...Ask me a question.

You must get a job every 10 yrs or so, since a swamp in NC isn't going to freeze hard very many years. What do you do between jobs?
 
OP
H

HerefordSire

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 2, 2006
Messages
5,212
Reaction score
0
Location
Arkansas
Red Bull Breeder":3mojz54g said:
I think you better head north NC ain't cold enough to log on froze ground more than a month a year.

Call me Bobby if you don't mind.

I had to put my boys on unemployment for a couple of weeks. Every job we get now is high ground pine saw timber and pulp which doesn't pay the bills. I have to mortgage one of my houses to keep my crew going. Daddy says when times get tough never to give up. That is what I am doing.
 
OP
H

HerefordSire

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 2, 2006
Messages
5,212
Reaction score
0
Location
Arkansas
john250":1hgp0wb1 said:
HerefordSire":1hgp0wb1 said:
You may have seen my crew on Discovery Channel. We are swamp loggers in North Carolina. We specialize cutting swamp hardwood and pulp wood in frozen swamps. Go ahead...Ask me a question.

You must get a job every 10 yrs or so, since a swamp in NC isn't going to freeze hard very many years. What do you do between jobs?

It gets pretty darn cold in NC in winter time. One time I spit on the gound and it bounced. I hadn't seen too many swamps not freeze over. My skidders got huge tires just in case. That is why we get the extra business as long as the mill is running. If I have to, I will throw metal bridges over wet parts. In between jobs, we try to buy timber around the old moonshine stills. Since the economy is so slow, the mills are shut down most of the time so we just stack the logs up until they open. These landowners around here need the money so there is plenty of virgin hardwood by swamps.
 
OP
H

HerefordSire

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 2, 2006
Messages
5,212
Reaction score
0
Location
Arkansas
Red Bull Breeder":1x8l9pjg said:
You been watching to much TV HS I been a logging since i was a pup never was the road to riches.

How do you think I got my nice house and all the acreage? Do you watch the show? Besides cutting the hard to get swamp timber, the main way I make the most money is I fix all the stuff that breaks down. I figure if a man can put the stuff together, I can put it back together.
 

Jogeephus

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
24,228
Reaction score
0
Location
South Georgia
Bobby, how much are your payments on your clam bunk or is it paid for? I've been meaning to ask you why you cut over my property line too. You owe me a lot of money cause the tree you cut down ... well its priceless. I wouldn't of taken a million dollars for it since i got my first kiss under it from Betty Sue McGallister. I know you had to see the corner. Heck, it was oblivious. It was the brown lightered knot next to that bush next to the tree just about six foot on inside the highwater mark by the creek. You know. I'm sure you seen it. How much you gonna gimme for my tree. I know you got insurance so it ain't know skin off your teeth only bizness.
 

Red Bull Breeder

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
7,621
Reaction score
1
Location
North Arkansas
Don't try to give me any of that bull i have crawled in one end of the mainline and come out the dipstick in the motor of more than one skidder. Log loaders and semis. Pole trailers bunk trailers. I have seen Log trucks in places that very few mortal men could even think about getting them there much less hauling a load back out agin. Them TV loggers don't impress me none just more hollywood bull Shi$.
 
OP
H

HerefordSire

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 2, 2006
Messages
5,212
Reaction score
0
Location
Arkansas
Jogeephus":1e5illqf said:
Bobby, how much are your payments on your clam bunk or is it paid for? I've been meaning to ask you why you cut over my property line too. You owe me a lot of money cause the tree you cut down ... well its priceless. I wouldn't of taken a million dollars for it since i got my first kiss under it from Betty Sue McGallister. I know you had to see the corner. Heck, it was oblivious. It was the brown lightered knot next to that bush next to the tree just about six foot on inside the highwater mark by the creek. You know. I'm sure you seen it. How much you gonna gimme for my tree. I know you got insurance so it ain't know skin off your teeth only bizness.


All my clam bunks are paid for. Daddy always told me to not borrow money but he don't understand how it is nowadays



How do you know I cut that tree down? The feds picked up my son. I will visit him and see if he cut it down.
 
OP
H

HerefordSire

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 2, 2006
Messages
5,212
Reaction score
0
Location
Arkansas
Red Bull Breeder":33pxqup5 said:
Don't try to give me any of that bull i have crawled in one end of the mainline and come out the dipstick in the motor of more than one skidder. Log loaders and semis. Pole trailers bunk trailers. I have seen Log trucks in places that very few mortal men could even think about getting them there much less hauling a load back out agin. Them TV loggers don't impress me none just more hollywood bull Shi$.

Call around Corbett Swamp and ask if anyone has ever talked to me the way you just talked. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
 

Arnold Ziffle

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 30, 2003
Messages
1,174
Reaction score
0
Location
southwest of Houston, Texas
OK, "Bobby" -- here's a question for you: Why don't you tell your truck driver "Bo" to take the marbles out of his mouth and to at least try to annunciate when he speaks, so we can understand what in tarnation he's saying without having to read the captions? :)
 
OP
H

HerefordSire

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 2, 2006
Messages
5,212
Reaction score
0
Location
Arkansas
Arnold Ziffle":nc8v5o6n said:
OK, "Bobby" -- here's a question for you: Why don't you tell your truck driver "Bo" to take the marbles out of his mouth and to at least try to annunciate when he speaks, so we can understand what in tarnation he's saying without having to read the captions? :)


LOL!

Bo likes to dip while eating rock candy. I told him to spit it out while the camera were on him. I tried to teach Bo how to read when we were growing up. He can drive a truck, I'll vouch for that. He has been know to blow out tires though. You may have seen him screw up my trailer wheel the other day. When we move our equipment to new tracts, ole Bo knows he is going to get all the cameras. He gets excited and goofey.
 

Lammie

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 2, 2006
Messages
7,287
Reaction score
0
Location
TX
How much wood can a wood chuck chuck if wood chuck could chuck wood?
 
OP
H

HerefordSire

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 2, 2006
Messages
5,212
Reaction score
0
Location
Arkansas
Lammie":3l3rajqc said:
How much wood can a wood chuck chuck if wood chuck could chuck wood?

"As much wood as a woodchuck would if a woodchuck could chuck wood."

"361.9237001 cubic centimeters of wood per day."

"A woodchuck would chuck all the wood he could, if a woodchuck could chuck wood."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundhog



We call 'em whistle pigs. They are good eating when times are short. We like the 9 pounders. They are quite tasty when the mills shut down. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
 
OP
H

HerefordSire

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 2, 2006
Messages
5,212
Reaction score
0
Location
Arkansas
Crowderfarms":13jfnhqq said:
Bobby, Why don't you employ more than one Meskin? OOps! I meant to say Hispanic.

The Hispanic I have right now has been at it for 20 years. I wish I have 50 just like him. Every now and then I will grab a couple of guys down at the employment center in Jacksonville (NC) and they seem to start whimpering around dinner time. Bobby this, Bobby that...what do I do now Bobby? I pay good money around these parts and it seems like no one wants a job because it will interfere with their government pay checks.


Edit: I should add that the fatailities in swamp logging are 20 times higher than regular logging.
 

Jogeephus

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
24,228
Reaction score
0
Location
South Georgia
Bobby, how much of that swamp weed do you have to smoke before you can muster up the nerve to put one of those guys you grab at the unemployment office on a hundred plus thousand dollar piece of equipment?
 
OP
H

HerefordSire

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 2, 2006
Messages
5,212
Reaction score
0
Location
Arkansas
Jogeephus":3tl2kez6 said:
Bobby, how much of that swamp weed do you have to smoke before you can muster up the nerve to put one of those guys you grab at the unemployment office on a hundred plus thousand dollar piece of equipment?

I don't ever put the worms on any equipment bought new over $1/4 million. I don't mind a couple of down hours as long as they learn. But if they screw equipment up and quit....that is when it gets to me. I like to help hungry people feed their families. Last year we grossed $3M. This year, we will be lucky to get close. I don't mind sharing. Sometimes, the ones that don't have a home are the best employees. They do exactly what I say and give me everything they got. Put $100K in someone's pocket, then they think they own the place.
 

talldog

Well-known member
Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
749
Reaction score
0
Location
Willard, North Carolina
I've known the Goodson family for years. They live about 40miles from me. There's 4 or 5 brothers and all tough as a lighter knot ! 2 have gone bankrupt after 50 years in the buisness---Several kids still trying, but timber buisness gone to pot around here. Bobby has probably done the best in pulp ! The rest in pine and some pulp.
Corbetts are a old family around here with VAST holdings of timber, farming land and CASH !!! The swamps around here are something to see !! :)
 

Latest posts

Top