Swamp Logger--> Ask me a Question

Help Support CattleToday:

alacattleman":1s45fgs4 said:
me and ol' riechear lookin' for work dragging logs

Alacattleman, do you know the story of the people in the pic you posted? This was the cover of the Ozark Mountain Daredevils, Men From Earth album in the mid-70's. This father and son lived less than 10 miles from me and they would come into town every so often in their mule drawn wagon. I used to see them once in awhile. This was exactly how they were. They were somehow related to one of the members of the band and after the release of the album, they got alot of attention. Some people thought they must have money hidden, so they went to their house, tied them up with barbed wire and tried to make them tell where the money was hidden. They went off and left them and they were found by neighbors later because they hadn't been seen. One of them died and the other had to go to the rest home and died a short time later. There are alot more details that others may know better than I, but that is the general way it went.
These were simple, hard working men, who were known around the area as good people. It is horrible what people will do to other human beings and the punishment cannot nearly fit this crime.

I remember them well and have been to their farm a few times when I was a kid my older brothers used to go down there and listen to the OMD play sometimes
I went there with a friend of ours that logged with mules and he would take his mules to these guys when they needed a rest from dragging logs and these guys would use them and get them freshened back up so he could log with them
it was like going back in time 50-100 yrs when you went to their place just real simple honest hardworking folks
I remember when they got attacked, there was a community uproar about it because everybody liked these guys
I don't remember who done it but it was basically some local lowlife druggies who thought these old men were rich and beleive me they weren't
Back when I was a kid there used to be several people like them around our neck of the woods
and the further south you got in Missouri the more there were especially in Douglas, Ozark, Howell, Oregon ,Shannon and Texas counties
i met a man a couple yrs ago that was in his early 90s who had only been to Springfield once in his life and that was by train when he was 13, There are several people in Ozark and Douglas county that have never been over 50 miles from home

Jogeephus":1v1vp80c said:
HerefordSire":1v1vp80c said:
You know, it is easy to help people that don't need help. Anyone can help someone that is a buddy to a buddy and nothing usually changes in the person's life. I prefer to help those that society has cast off. You won't find many that will provide a job to a person that hasn't has a bath in a week because people have a tendency to think they are better.

A mexican guy approached me a few years ago hunting work. He said he was wanting to earn enough money to buy some food. On a hunch I hired him and gave him $20 for a food and told him to meet me there at 8 in the morning and I'd help get him started. Next morning he was a no show. I'm pi$$ed. About 11 oclock I hear some banging in the woods and I go back there and find he has already put down half the posts. Long story short, he fenced the whole thing in half the time 3 of the regular guys would have done it in and boy did he do it right. Better than me. I made a few phone calls and found him a full time job putting in fiber optic cable. Pay for this was way more than I could afford to pay him doing farm work. Oh, I also paid him what I thought the value of his fencing work was as a total job rather than an hourly price. While he wasn't much to look at he was one helluva worker.

Exceptional story Joe. Thanks.

HerefordSire":3o9fwbvu said:
Jogeephus":3o9fwbvu said:
HerefordSire":3o9fwbvu said:
You know, it is easy to help people that don't need help. Anyone can help someone that is a buddy to a buddy and nothing usually changes in the person's life. I prefer to help those that society has cast off. You won't find many that will provide a job to a person that hasn't has a bath in a week because people have a tendency to think they are better.

A mexican guy approached me a few years ago hunting work. He said he was wanting to earn enough money to buy some food. On a hunch I hired him and gave him $20 for a food and told him to meet me there at 8 in the morning and I'd help get him started. Next morning he was a no show. I'm pi$$ed. About 11 oclock I hear some banging in the woods and I go back there and find he has already put down half the posts. Long story short, he fenced the whole thing in half the time 3 of the regular guys would have done it in and boy did he do it right. Better than me. I made a few phone calls and found him a full time job putting in fiber optic cable. Pay for this was way more than I could afford to pay him doing farm work. Oh, I also paid him what I thought the value of his fencing work was as a total job rather than an hourly price. While he wasn't much to look at he was one helluva worker.

Exceptional story Joe. Thanks.

I hear ya! Those "White Anglo-Saxon Protestants" (WASPs) boys either don't know how to work or don't want to work. It's like "Yeah...I need a job!" (Translation: Only long enough to have the flat fixed on my truck and buy a six pack).

Running Arrow Bill":170s3nvs said:
I hear ya! Those "White Anglo-Saxon Protestants" (WASPs) boys either don't know how to work or don't want to work. It's like "Yeah...I need a job!" (Translation: Only long enough to have the flat fixed on my truck and buy a six pack).

I think it was a mistake to pass regulations making it harder for school aged kids to work. When I was a kid most everyone I knew had some sort of job. Some even had more than one job. I hated my first job and would look at my watch continuously hoping the day would get over with. After awhile I learned if I stayed busy the day would fly by. Pretty smart thinking for an 8 year old. :nod:

Jogeephus":2zww507h said:
Running Arrow Bill":2zww507h said:

I think it was a mistake to pass regulations making it harder for school aged kids to work. When I was a kid most everyone I knew had some sort of job. Some even had more than one job. I hated my first job and would look at my watch continuously hoping the day would get over with. After awhile I learned if I stayed busy the day would fly by. Pretty smart thinking for an 8 year old. :nod:
I think you are right about kids working. Some do gooders without the wisdom of reality and a very narrow perspective came up with all these rules and laws. I don't like do gooders. :mad:
When kids actually had work to do it matured them and gave them a place of value. They were worth something.
Over time kids have had less and less worthwhile places in society and they stay immature children much too long. They have less and less self esteem and the idiot do gooders decided that social promotion and catering to them, saying that we are all equal, etc. would build their self esteem. Not so. It builds spoiled babies. So why would they not hang out in their gangs doing their dope and breathing up good air.

But in the society we live in there is no work for kids to do like there used to be. Taking out the garbage and feeding the dog for a 14 year old is not work.
Yet there are some really fine kids out there and I have been honored to know a few of them.
Just my opinion based on what I have lived and what I have seen. Now you do gooders can explain how wrong I am.

Thanks George W. Bush---Voted for him BOTH times and he was letting them in by the MILLIONS FOR HIS BIG TIME BUDDIES and look what we got !!1 All the Bast***s voting Democrat !! He and his cronies is what setup this MESS we've got now !!
This country needs a buisness man(or woman) to straighten this SH** out, not a politician !!! You'll have a NICE day !!!!! :tiphat:

Bobby, you reckon you could spot me a little fuel money till payday when you pick me up at 11:00? BTW - I need to be home by 4:30 at the latest. :mrgreen:

stocky":2m9di43m said:
alacattleman":2m9di43m said:
me and ol' riechear lookin' for work dragging logs

Alacattleman, do you know the story of the people in the pic you posted? This was the cover of the Ozark Mountain Daredevils, Men From Earth album in the mid-70's. This father and son lived less than 10 miles from me and they would come into town every so often in their mule drawn wagon. I used to see them once in awhile. This was exactly how they were. They were somehow related to one of the members of the band and after the release of the album, they got alot of attention. Some people thought they must have money hidden, so they went to their house, tied them up with barbed wire and tried to make them tell where the money was hidden. They went off and left them and they were found by neighbors later because they hadn't been seen. One of them died and the other had to go to the rest home and died a short time later. There are alot more details that others may know better than I, but that is the general way it went.
These were simple, hard working men, who were known around the area as good people. It is horrible what people will do to other human beings and the punishment cannot nearly fit this crime.
yep i knew about the album, but thats interesting story about em though,,,,we had fellers like them here too and still do too some degree. :p .but you'd be suprized at the ones that where in fact filty rich,, these folks rat holed their first nickle

Jogeephus":ncgo1myu said:
Bobby, you reckon you could spot me a little fuel money till payday when you pick me up at 11:00? BTW - I need to be home by 4:30 at the latest. :mrgreen:

Sure. Can you speak English? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

HerefordSire":2qsdstih said:
Jogeephus":2qsdstih said:

I thought your forman could. :???:

Jogeephus":nx1ncbv9 said:
HerefordSire":nx1ncbv9 said:
Jogeephus":nx1ncbv9 said:

I thought your forman could. :???:

One of my pet peeves is...no speakee de englis..no getee the workee. :santa: :santa: :santa:

Mine too. I also prefer someone who can read and write. Big difference between Velpar and Hyvar even though they sound kinda similar. :lol2:

So, Bobby. What do you do with all that "hard wood" like pine and Fir? Do they really use hard woods like Pine and Fir to make paper? Wonder what a soft wood might be, Balsa. No, wait. That won't work. They don't grow Balsa in the Carolina's. Shucks!

Jogeephus":zagus2py said:
HerefordSire":zagus2py said:

Been my experience with all them wets as well, Jogee. I don't have a problem with them.

lavacarancher":1hudr2jy said:
So, Bobby. What do you do with all that "hard wood" like pine and Fir? Do they really use hard woods like Pine and Fir to make paper? Wonder what a soft wood might be, Balsa. No, wait. That won't work. They don't grow Balsa in the Carolina's. Shucks!

Pine and Spruce for framing but mostly Spruce. It is very light weight wood and soft. Hickory will burn for years and very dense. Money is in hardwood now. Swamp hardwood. Camera crew just left but I had to get them out of some quicksand.

HerefordSire":1a9shvvw said:
Jogeephus":1a9shvvw said:
Bobby, what do you do with the leopard maple?

Ole yeller lays on it while I work my butt off then he eats as much as a horse when I get home at 9:00 PM at night. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/catal ... SSPProduct

Not exactly what I meant but kinda sortof close. Ole Yeller is just showing you how tiresome it is to holding the furniture in place around the house all day. Its a demanding job and requires many many people to do it. Just ain't right to force Yeller to handle such a big job by his lonesome. Look around a bit and you will agree this requires lots of help.

Latest posts