Supplementing with some form of alfalfa

Help Support CattleToday:

Ebenezer

Reaction score
Anybody ever limit feed alfalfa hay, cubes or pellets. With the drought in the SE USA we were looking at options other than short distance hay and wondered how limited alfalfa would stack up against commodities like CGP or SHP. Thanks.

Ebenezer":3u49q6m1 said:
Anybody ever limit feed alfalfa hay, cubes or pellets. With the drought in the SE USA we were looking at options other than short distance hay and wondered how limited alfalfa would stack up against commodities like CGP or SHP. Thanks.
Shouldn't be a problem. Personally I'd look for some a little "off grade" or mixed with grass rather than dairy qualtiy. The lower protein and TDN will better serve your beef cattle. Should be cheaper, you can feed a little more of it, and it will pass through the cattle slower while still maintaining body condition and rumen function.

I have been doing that exact thing for the last month. All the grass hay they want and feed them about 5-6 pounds each of alfalfa hay every day. Cost is about 100 dollars per ton for the alfalfa, so I figure it costs me about 50 cents a day per head for the alfalfa. A big round bale should last me about 3 months as I only have 2 head to feed.

I have been doing that. They have all the bent grass straw they want to eat and I supplement with alfalfa. I have been feeding 12 pounds a day. They get the alfalfa for 2 days and none on the third day. I wanted to feed 8 pounds a day but it didn't work to do that. These are big square bales that weigh 1,400 pounds. Feeding a third of a bale and getting in spread somewhat evenly through all the feeders so all 55 head had access just didn't work. Feeding half a bale does work. They complain on the no alfalfa day but they eat more bent grass on those days.

Did you try it Ebby?

My limited experience with Alfalfa was last winter feeding my bulls. I'm now of the mind that if your cows are used to Fescue, then Alfalfa is a big change for them. My bulls loved to eat it, but wouldn't eat near enough grain to do them any good.From a cheap sustenance standpoint it was doing a job, the whole group only got 1/2 a small square per day in the end. The problem with it was they would only eat that. I didn't think they could get enough nutrition or stay healthy from that. Even if you have real poor hay, I would think in SC anyway that the 24% protein tubs and low/poor hay would do a better job of keeping the cows healthy.

I think the cows have to be conditioned to alfalfa hay, bottom line. Similar deal as Fescue toxicity.I dont think you can feed a cow that is not used to alfalfa enough of it to do a good job for them without bloat and other problems. My 2 cents..

Best,
Cotton1

Latest posts