Super Baldie

Help Support CattleToday:

Texas Ranch Man

Reaction score
Here is a good one to discuss. I currently own F-1 Tigerstripe Females.. these are 1/2 Bhraman 1/2 Hereford I am switching to a Black Bull this year and will be producing Black White Face Calves. I thought if I used a F-1 Brangus Bull 1/2 Bhraman 1/2 Angus I would get a real good Cross for replacment Females, these calves would be 1/2 Bhraman 1/4 Hereford 1/4 Angus. Last month I took some calves to the sale and all of the Charlois X F-1 calves brought an average of .95 lb. while I had one Black White Face Calf who brought 1.17 lb. Do you think the added ear and navel will work against me at sale time if I use a Brangus Bull instead of an Angus. Thoughts on the whole thing? Thanks TRM.

The half Angus/half Brahman will put an awful lot of leather on your calves.....buyers will dock the steers. I would look for an Angus bull with high weaning weight and let those tiger gals raise some big ole super baldies. Heifers and steers should both ring the bell at the sale barn. Going with an Angus bull will maximize your heterosis.

If you want replacement females, then I would use a Brangus bull. The heifers will be 7/16 Brahman and close to a 1/2 blood. Use as thick and meaty Brangus as you can find. The steers may recieve a small discount, but if you use a moderate framed, thick bull not as much as people would have you believe.

first off dont bet on all.. if any baldies on them F1s momas with a black bull of either one. go with the angus even if you retain heifers or not then go back with a brangus on the heifers then when you get your brangus females the way you want. get you a good hereford bull then you can start too see some good looking meaty super baldies

Latest posts