Sundog mini cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

poultryrancher

Reaction score
I've been e-mailing a breeder who posted goats (and cows) for sale on Craigslist. Out of curiosity I asked what breed of "mini cattle" she had. She has Sundog cattle? I googled them, but can't find out alot about them. They look really cute though! Does anyone out there have any experience with these petite bovines :lol: ?

COOOOL ! My husband & I had a conversation last night on our long drive home about mini horses. I said "what is the purpose of them?" My husband said,"Little ppl want critters too." I said,'wonder if there is a mini cow for those little ppl." Now I know. They are so cute. I want mini critters !!!!

TNMasterBeefProducer":ig1wb5jk said:
Mini critters aint worth pee. Get some real critters.
Even pee can save your life when it comes down to it. Mini critters are so cute. I Want all kinds of them in all sizes. I chase my friends cows around the pasture sometimes b/c they will not let me pet them. There is a little calf that loves to play chase with me. I am easily entertained :)

Hi poultryrancher--"Sundogs" are little cattle from a man named Ralph Sowers in California--they look mostly Dexter to me. If you like that look, I suggest you check into Dexters--feel free to email me offlist for breeders' names. Dexters are a good dual purpose cow; and a better size for today's small freezers. My mini zebu are for looks, pets, milk, lawn mowing, ag exemption, and free fertilizer. But mainly I just like to love on 'em. I don't know why "big" cattle raisers find that so incomprehensible--must be some macho thing. Dottie Love

dottielove":3bbthaf8 said:
... But mainly I just like to love on 'em. I don't know why "big" cattle raisers find that so incomprehensible--must be some macho thing. Dottie Love

I would say it is because, for the most part, "big" cattle raisers do not consider cattle as pets. Especially because of how dangerous they can be. It does not matter how "tame" or "loving" they are it does not take much for even a miniature to tear up a human. It is very common for the "giant puppy dog" bulls to be the ones that injure or kill its owner.

Ryan

Hi Ryan--thanks for posting. I can see your point, and certainly agree on some points. Yes, it is the big puppy dog bulls (usually a bottle baby) that hurt people. My Australian friend calls it "playing pushy pushy" when they're babies--sure is fun when they're 75 lbs., and NOT when they're 400! Cattle are cattle no matter what size, and they're motivated by the same things: food, fear, and sex. My Mini Zebu are more difficult--and easier at the same time--to understand. That's what fascinates me about cattle--they can be "whispered" just like horses (now--horses DO scare me, though--I think they're crazy).

I realize most of the folks on this board are commercial cattle raisers, and I expect to have tussles with them regarding the "purpose" of cattle, particularly minis. My cows are PETS; they go to shows and behave. They must stay calm; and I can maneuver even my wilder pasture mamas into a trailer if I work alone and patiently. I only sell calves and I get $2500 for a 75 lb. weaned heifer calf and $1000--$2000 for a bull calf. That's my marketing niche--mine are the tamest and calmest around. I don't compete w/ beef or dairy producers, so why is there such scorn? Why am I not a "bonafide" cattle rancher?

For the record, I love beef--but wrapped in plastic from the store--yes, I'm a hypocrite, and comfortable with it. I shoot feral cats and dogs, and would NEVER have a "pet" snake, raccoon, monkey, or exotic cat, and I don't name my goldfish or chickens. I never turn my back on a bull, but I'm more scared of new mamas--they're the ones that'll kill you.

I think the most vicious and untrustworthy "pet" animals are housecats, blonde cocker spaniels, ANY terrier--Yorkie to Pit Bull--and the most dangerous is a Chihuahua--but the lil tiny bites won't hurt ya! Dottie

I have a problem with animals being drawn to me. All animals, they like me & will seek me out & fight over me. I do not understand it nor do I always like it. I have had my ass kicked by a goat once & now I watch my ass very close. The other day I was down at the rodeo checking things out & they had some new bulls they just brought in. ! of them was the devil himself. I have never had a bull jump at me & that one did. I got back in the van real quick covered in mud he slung on me. I then got to see him break through the gates it had to be the devil bull from hell.

Latest posts