Sudden deaths in five cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

benf

Reaction score
A friend of mine lost six of nine of his cattle in one of his pastures in a period of six days. They all weighed around 800 lbs. All the cattle had symptoms of troubled breathing and foaming at the mouth when near death. Seemed like they had trouble swallowing. They became weak and could not get up. Most of the cattle died within 12 hours from the first signs of a sickness. A few days ago he fed the calves and they all looked healthy and were all eating. He came home six hours later and one calf was dead and another died two hours later. The vet came at midnight one night and said a few may have pneumonia but blood tests were needed. He gave vaccinations and several antibiotics immediately but did not help. Two of them died after the antibiotics. The vet ruled out the possibility of rabies. Could it be anthrax? Any ideas on what would cause them to die so quick?

He uses the same feed at another place he has cattle. He hasn't had any problems with the cattle at the other place.

same feed but was it the same sack of feed? a dead animal in one sack is all it takes, may not be in the other feed...
i lost three this winter. back legs went out on them. they had pnuemonia like sypmtoms and were foaming at the mouth and having difficulty swallowing before they died. anyway, just an idea. who knows?

benf":jy5wc5q4 said:
What are the symptoms of fast acting silent pneumonia? could this be the problem?
could be. as far as i know the symptoms if present long enough to be noticed are the same as regular pnumonia, it is just...well, faster acting.

Years ago we had the same thing happen. 500 lb. calves on pasture, fine one day and then 7 dead within a day. Had the vet check into it a found it to be a fast acting strain of pneumonia. The rest of the calves were fine. Can't say this and that are the same thing, but the similarities are there.

Was a post done on any of them?
We lost three bred cows and numerous unborn calves this spring. Sounds about the same pasterella bacteria.
We vaccinated for it this spring. Too little too late for us.
As for nitrates test both feed and water ASAP.
If a post was not done it needs to be done as soon after the animal dies as possible.
What I saw was lungs that had a purplish black look to them on the lower lobes. A tissue sample sent to the lab will tell you what is in there. Sorry if it sounds gory, but it needs to be done.

The legs will make a cracking sound when flexed if it was blackleg. an 800 lb cow sounds a little old for it though. I think the odds of six 800 +or- cows going down with blackleg at the same time is pretty low.

I dont know about you guys, but our grass is growing fast. Lots of rain. Nitrate poisoning doesnt usually occur in fast growing forage.

If the feed was supplemental to forage I have a hard time with it being the cause as well. Grazing would have deluted any toxins. I understand I have no idea how much feed or forgae they actualy consumed.

Not meaning to dissagree with anybody or start any arguments. Im just speculating. I dont think we really have enough information for even an educated guess.

Grass tetany? I unfortunately know all about that, and it sounds like the symptoms are similar. Flush of new green grass in a pasture they were on?

Sounds like possibly Atypical Interstitial Pneumonia which is closer to a metabolic anaphalaxis, then lung infection.

FWIW Several years ago we lost several with some of the same symptoms. An additional symptom our had was the nose was very raw and began to peel. We finally traced it to wild Lantana plant. Not sure if you have that plant or not.

I believe that I'd take a walk out in the pasture and have a real colse look at what is growing or has grown. A few samples shipped to the lab would eliminate some of the possibilities.
I'd have blood and tissue samples sent to the state Vet.
Makes a fella wonder about what is his own pasture...may take a walk tomorrow.
DMc

looking at the variation of replies (any one of them could be right!) then I would say you need a vet to actually see the animals and the environment they are in before you will get an answer

Latest posts