Subsidized farmers take note.

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Congress and the Senate are debating eliminating all farm subsidies and putting the money into the food stamp program.

well the thing is they can do away with all the farm subs.an let the chips fall where they may.but if they do that the gov is giving up some of their control.an everyone knows they enjoy controling the farm prices.

Dusty-Trails":3ozdbx04 said:
Congress and the Senate are debating eliminating all farm subsidies and putting the money into the food stamp program.

Broad as it is long. Do away with the subsidies and most of the farmers will qualify for food stamps. :cry2:

Like it or not subsidies affect anybody that is in the cattle indusrtry. Even if you don't directly get the money the programs affect market prices. :?

Frankie":3bv4614p said:
Dusty-Trails":3bv4614p said:

Wrong. The Farm Bill has been pretty well worked out and grain farmers will still get their subsidies.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 10DQ89.DTL

The news article I am refering to dealt with people becoming upset over ethanol subsidies and corn. Yes they have been hammering the farm bill out. THat given it has not been signed and they are considering doing away with and and all of the subsidies so as to increase food stamps. Watch and see.

My understanding is that they have already pulled several hundred million out of "farming" and put it toward helping all those people who refuse to work and are making us import labor from south of the border. Makes perfect sense to me. :roll:

Jogeephus":1fwrnnym said:
My understanding is that they have already pulled several hundred million out of "farming" and put it toward helping all those people who refuse to work and are making us import labor from south of the border. Makes perfect sense to me. :roll:

Jogeephus you got it posted before me. Agreeeeeeeee

Around here some farmers have been subsidized so long they have forgot how to farm. Kinda sad to drive down the road and see 200 acres of beans taken over by weeds because the farmer gona get his subsidy anyway. Dont get me wrong its good to help people that need help but if there not goning to work and try to help themselves it becomes another form of welfare. In my trucking biz you make a profit or go out of biz its hard but thats the bottom line. Should be the same for everyone no safty nets.

Subsidies were placed in affect to control prices and ensure an adequate food supply, and they have done just that. While ALL of our input costs have gone unchecked! Dont get me wrong there are plenty of insurance farmers out there that collect their CRP, base acre payments, subsidies, and crop insurance. I would gladly give up any subsidy if we were allowed to market and sell our commodities for a price as we saw fit(like most other buisnesses).

jbar":1nqrh6el said:
Around here some farmers have been subsidized so long they have forgot how to farm. Kinda sad to drive down the road and see 200 acres of beans taken over by weeds because the farmer gona get his subsidy anyway. Dont get me wrong its good to help people that need help but if there not goning to work and try to help themselves it becomes another form of welfare. In my trucking biz you make a profit or go out of biz its hard but thats the bottom line. Should be the same for everyone no safty nets.

jbar, what you are referring to is insurance farming. Subsidies have nothing to do with this. Subsidies only kick in to effect when the price falls below a certain bench mark and you got to produce to come out. Insurance farming is when you scatter seed on the ground and don't try to make a crop and the tax payer has to pay you for your disaster through the federal crop insurance. This problem could easily be solved if someone was only allowed to claim insurance once every five years or so and be required to have indepenent verification of the disaster. Having a bumper crop on one side of the road and a disaster on the other really doesn't make much sense. Enforcement of the law and prison terms would also make a good statement. But again, if we are not going to guard our borders what's the point in insuring that tax dollars are spent wisely.

I agree with 3fifty7, pay what the crop is really worth.
Back in the late 70's early 80's if there were no subsidies my father in law would have lost this place. They held on by the skin of their teeth. He told us before he died that we would see the price of wheat go up.

Now onto the farm bill. What I heard at the noon report was that any farmer making more then $450,000 would receive no subsidies and lower that amount down to $250,000 in a few more years.
Anybody making over that would receive none. How well that would work I don't know. There are too many ways to slip through that net. That is the changes in the farm that is being discussed right now.

Right now if the ranchers are against the farmers and the farmers are against the ranchers we are going nowhere but down. We need each other. Pouring gas on this fire is not a good idea.

And it's "check" time of the month. Go down to the local post office and look at them standing there with the boxes open. Just can't wait to get that check.

"And it's "check" time of the month."

granny you need to get your facts straight. There are two options to the subsidies. One is you get half of the payment in the spring and the balance in the fall. Option 2 is you get just one payment in that year. The payments are also direct deposit unless it is in the State matter.
Let's not forget that States that rent out crop land also get the subsidies on their share of the crop raised on that land.

Latest posts