Six Actions Sonny Perdue Can Take Today to Save the U.S. Cattle Market

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence said:
bball said:
callmefence said:
By people like me I reckon you mean people who question things even if they benefit me.
I reckon we got about the same size outfit, if my memory serves me. I like messing with cows. But honestly, if they all died tonight I'd be alright. It would definitely put me in a be nice of a bind. But it's not my real living. I'm not so full of myself to think world policy should revolve around my side job.

Maybe them sick hogs will pan out and there won't be enough meat to feed world. When there's not enough supply those boys that have been colluding will turn on each other. Free market....but for that to work you gotta keep the government out of it.
Very true statement Fence. The problem is the govt is already in it and not in a fair and balanced manner either. I would welcome a free market and let the chips fall and see who makes it, but the market isn't free or balanced. It's controlled by folks with no skin in the game.
And I agree with that. But imo. You don't deal with a water leak by hauling water.. You shut the water off , dig up the line and fix it right. at Least if you're concerned about more than yourself, right now.

The is government has no place in any business. Be it cattle, health care, or even utilities, and that's a fact. The fact that they do and people accept it and look for work-arounds is the root of most of our problems. You have to break some eggs to make a omelette. Nobody's got the nutts to break a few of their eggs... :hat:

callmefence said:
callmefence said:
bball said:
Very true statement Fence. The problem is the govt is already in it and not in a fair and balanced manner either. I would welcome a free market and let the chips fall and see who makes it, but the market isn't free or balanced. It's controlled by folks with no skin in the game.
And I agree with that. But imo. You don't deal with a water leak by hauling water.. You shut the water off , dig up the line and fix it right. at Least if you're concerned about more than yourself, right now.

The is government has no place in any business. Be it cattle, health care, or even utilities, and that's a fact. The fact that they do and people accept it and look for work-arounds is the root of most of our problems. You have to break some eggs to make a omelette. Nobody's got the nutts to break a few of their eggs... :hat:

I am inclined to agree with your line of thinking about govt involvement in business. Unfortunately, the board is already set, the pieces are in motion. Government has it's sticky fingers in almost every aspect of business today. This has been going on for almost 100 years now. You're correct people accept it readily and even embrace it. I work healthcare and witness how totally screwed our healthcare system is and agree that a great deal of it is because of govt involvment combined with a real lack of personal responsibility from the majority of people with regards to managing their own health and well being.
So, we both see the problem clearly. How do you repair this? Where is the shut off? I have a shovel and ain't afraid to dig. Where are the eggs that need broken?

I viewed several of the 6 solutions listed as pretty common sense solutions to help balance the playingfield with pretty limited govt intrusion.
I appreciate and respect your thoughts on the matter. :tiphat:

Dave is right. NCBA is as full of sheet as a Christmas turkey.. Not that I think they are perfect either, but R-Calf is about the only "bigger" organization that is on the side of the "little guy". There are a few groups trying to get going out in Kansas and areas out there to be more on the independent side. Co-op type groups. Maybe it will help. I don't hold much faith in Sonny Perdue either.

A couple of news sources are now saying that the swine flu has definitely been found in Korea.... it is going to continue spreading. It will eventually hit here in the US and the thing that scares me about it is if it gets into the feral hog population.

Not because I don't think it would be good to thin that bunch out alot, but because it will spread and infect "far and wide"...

Our hog industry is like the poultry industry....captive.....controlled.... and as susceptible as anything to infection and total destruction. But the only possible upside for a bit would be as Corbitt Wall says. China and other country's are going to have to get protein from other sources, and cattle will be one. Doing a little checking on what he said out of curiosity; there is no way, if we totally manage to keep this swine flu out, that we can begin to supply the pork usage of China. I had no idea that they produced as much as they do, or that they used all they produced. So our beef, as a protein source, may not feel this downturn too terribly long.

And this may also make the packers have to compete with outside forces for the cattle.

I don't know how many paid attention, but back in the 80's there was an "outbreak of an avian flu strain" here in Va and maybe surrounding states. It was thought at the time that it was "contrived" because all of a sudden there were "sick flocks" and it just happened to coincide with some country that banned our poultry (maybe Russia?) and the over abundance of frozen on hand. I am pretty sure it was turkeys. Farmers took it on the chin, houses were depopulated although it was stated that humans could not "catch it" or get sick from eating birds; houses sat empty and then they started putting out birds and the prices of turkey was up because there wasn't alot around for awhile.
I don't think this swine flu is contrived, and there is alot of poultry around for protein also. However, there is not near enough to make more of a dent in the usage over there and beef will be able to fill the bill better than more chicken.

If this is the case, the independent producer will be able to see some PROFIT, because all the ones that are already dedicated to feedlots will not be in the equation. Plus, the packers are still buying on the "open cash market" so there will be competition for the cattle that are out there. I had said that I thought that we would see prices weak and stagnant this fall, and then I thought maybe they would improve some in the spring. Maybe there will be more improvement than I thought.
We had already talked about holding as many of ours through the first of the year, that we can, and only sell what we have to to make what payments that are essential this fall and cannot be deferred. I think now that might be an even better reason to try to hold for a bit. We have some corn silage, and there is a fair amount of hay. Add a little concentrate to balance out the feed and get some gain and I hope it will be a smart move. We will be watching the markets closely. We are maybe a little better off than some, that we don't have to sell due to no grass or anything right now even though it has gotten VERY DRY for this area.

It will be an interesting next few weeks.

3. Stop foreign meat from being labeled "Product of U.S.A." by taking up the OCM and American Grassfed Association petition to USDA's Federal Safety Inspection Service, and rule favorably on behalf of America's family farmers.

4. Withdraw the United States Mexico Canada Agreement (USMCA) until such time as Country of Origin Labeling (COOL) is included in the USMCA.

5. Reduce the amount of foreign beef imported into the United States and cease all efforts to reopen the U.S. to Brazilian beef.

Someone please explain to me how items 3, 4, and 5 do not benefit the small producer. How they do not benefit any producer in this country really? Not being a wise azz, I really want to know. Looks to me like those are very clear measures to actually protect producers in this country that require very minimal intrusion and effort by the govt; perhaps finding the shut off valve? Actually leveling the playing field between producer and packer somewhat in this country. If anything, it looks to me, like those are steps to keep the govt from meddling behind the scenes to benefit(and receive their under the table contributions)packers in this country and/or globally(think JBS).

Here is my reality. I have 25-35 cows at any given time. This is a hobby for me. I enjoy it. However, I do try to pay attention and am concerned for the future of the industry. I would sell all my stuff today if I thought for a second it would help preserve the cattle industy for future generations. I can't imagine the pressure some folks (young or old) are under who have financed themselves heavily to make a go at this, only to find themselves jammed up. There is a reason Corbitt Wall has looked pretty glum lately.

callmefence said:

It will be difficult if not impossible now, to reverse the trend.
There are just too many people making $$$$$$$$ with the govt's assistance & hand in the dough bowl.

callmefence said:
HDRider said:
Caustic Burno said:
Don't look for any of that to happen.
I am convinced they want the small producers gone.

Me too. I am just dumb enough to fight it

Do you really want the government ?
We are the government and we're hear to help.

Maybe some producers need to fail. In any business when profits get to low the weak die off. When the dust clears the ones still there prosper.

I agree.

It's funny how all these so called conservatives talk about every one else and their govt programs, bail outs, etc but what happens when there is a little dip in the market... Save us big govt! Save us!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/the-global-economy-is-slowing-much-faster-than-expected/ar-AAHxoJX?ocid=spartandhp

I will refer this to the experts on this board for discussion. I think that the world economy affects everyone with what ever they produce.

hurleyjd said:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/the-global-economy-is-slowing-much-faster-than-expected/ar-AAHxoJX?ocid=spartandhp

I will refer this to the experts on this board for discussion. I think that the world economy affects everyone with what ever they produce.

Don't you think the world is bound to slow down if China slows.

hurleyjd said:

I wouldn't believe anything that comes from MSN

StarKist Tuna fined $100 million, is wholly owned by Dongwon Industries of South Korea.

Dongwon is a $255 billion dollar company

Maybe we could o like the Beef Promotional Board did and double what we get because of deflation.

The Beef Checkoff Program is funded through a $1 per head assessment each time cattle are sold. Due to inflation, the $1.00 per head checkoff which was implemented in 1986 has deflated to $.47.

hurleyjd said:
Maybe we could o like the Beef Promotional Board did and double what we get because of deflation.

The Beef Checkoff Program is funded through a $1 per head assessment each time cattle are sold. Due to inflation, the $1.00 per head checkoff which was implemented in 1986 has deflated to $.47.
That sounds like a tax

76 Bar said:
The Beef Checkoff Program is funded through a $1 per head assessment each time cattle are sold.
Don't recall the number but some state associations have bumped it to $2.00/hd. :frowns: :roll:

Yep, and I ain't seen no benefits to the cattle producers from it.

Ky hills said:
76 Bar said:
The Beef Checkoff Program is funded through a $1 per head assessment each time cattle are sold.
Don't recall the number but some state associations have bumped it to $2.00/hd. :frowns: :roll:

The opposite actually. NBCA is our biggest obstacle to COOL

HDRider said:
Ky hills said:
76 Bar said:

The opposite actually. NBCA is our biggest obstacle to COOL

That's the way I see it too, the associations from the national down to the state and local, are just collecting dues and preaching to the choir so to speak and a lot of their positions don't even make logical sense. The check off seems more like a rip off.

Latest posts