On different note, setting hen.

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
We have 20 some chickens, really enjoy the fresh eggs. Have had chickens for most years for over 20 years. I'd always just buy a few every other spring. When the pandemic hit, we hadn't had chickens for a while and had already decided to start some new ones that spring. Got a few, then saw how people were hoarding chickens and decided to get some more and get a few of a breed that would set so we could raise our own if need be. Got some Orpingtons a couple pullets and roosters of that breed, most of our other hens are from breeds not likely to set. Was beginning to think that none were going to turn broody but a few days ago this one did. Only the second time I've ever let a hen set, since I was a child and had bantams that would sit literally everywhere you could imagine. 0325502B-1F48-42B7-B5CD-DF00ED3C80C5.jpeg

My wife raised bannys for years, amazing the chicks they would raise and bring out of the woods.
She had an elaborate coop I had made to prevent them from turning into some kind of varmit turd. She walked in one day chicken snake fell out of the rafters landed on her shoulder full of bidies.
She emptied a 38 on it still moving came back to the house got a 9 shot 22 and emptied that in it cause it was still moving.
Her laying hens were on Valium for six months.

Those little bantams will set on any thing once they make up their mind to. Never added anything bigger than a couple duck eggs, but I bet they would.

My wife raised bannys for years, amazing the chicks they would raise and bring out of the woods.
She had an elaborate coop I had made to prevent them from turning into some kind of varmit turd. She walked in one day chicken snake fell out of the rafters landed on her shoulder full of bidies.
She emptied a 38 on it still moving came back to the house got a 9 shot 22 and emptied that in it cause it was still moving.
Her laying hens were on Valium for six months.

Darn better not mess with your wife you may end up on I.d. t.v.

We have 20 some chickens, really enjoy the fresh eggs. Have had chickens for most years for over 20 years. I'd always just buy a few every other spring. When the pandemic hit, we hadn't had chickens for a while and had already decided to start some new ones that spring. Got a few, then saw how people were hoarding chickens and decided to get some more and get a few of a breed that would set so we could raise our own if need be. Got some Orpingtons a couple pullets and roosters of that breed, most of our other hens are from breeds not likely to set. Was beginning to think that none were going to turn broody but a few days ago this one did. Only the second time I've ever let a hen set, since I was a child and had bantams that would sit literally everywhere you could imagine. View attachment 5324

Is she mean? I miss our chickens. They were hard to keep...ours keep getting killed.

Is she mean? I miss our chickens. They were hard to keep...ours keep getting killed.
Some setting hens can be mean, this one isn't. Had one years ago that tried to go to setting and she was mean as could be. We keep ours in an enclosed pen with a wire top and a coop at night if don't forget to I fasten them in a coop. Fortunately on the times I forget we have 3 big mean roosters that may be some help.

Once a year i let one of our barnevelder chooks hatch some chicks for the kids. Seemed so much simpler when i was a kid, they laid, sat and hatched. Now i have to fuss over them.