Will this affect farmers?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest":zyfgycvs said:
sim.-ang.king":zyfgycvs said:
It will be good for scrap prices, they are pitiful right now.

I thought of that this morning. I have a neighbor that's got really cruddy fence between us. He said I could have it if I pulled it down. It's scrap, but it might be worth the work at this point.
I'm setting on a gold mine , told my wife last week when she was complaining about my junk pile that some day prices will go up and she ain't getting none of it.

Last I took was $3/hundred. No short and long just a straight 3. Chinese steel is crap anyway. We buy from all over the world. Maybe I'll start seeing made in USA stamped on it again.

Craig Miller":1h2fvi44 said:
Last I took was $3/hundred. No short and long just a straight 3. Chinese steel is crap anyway. We buy from all over the world. Maybe I'll start seeing made in USA stamped on it again.
You know who was buying the scrap when it was 10-12 cents a pound? China.

callmefence":1yx04s58 said:
sim.-ang.king":1yx04s58 said:
If they would of never removed the tariffs, we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Surprising how everything is caught off guard......by a man doing exactly what he said he was going to do.

It is so refreshing to see America being a leader again. This whole issue just brings out the countries who have no real net worth, but just grab wealth from others by peddling their wares. Keep tightening the screws on them.

Everyone wants an even playing field even if it takes tariffs to achieve it...right up to the point they find out it affects their job or how much they have to pay for consumer products. Always a down side to relying on less expensive foreign goods. For decades, one of our supposed best allies was the worst economic dumper..South Korea. That's changed now and we import more steel from Canada, arch rival Russia, Brazil and India than anyone else.

greybeard":2imw0spj said:
Everyone wants an even playing field even if it takes tariffs to achieve it...right up to the point they find out it affects their job or how much they have to pay for consumer products. Always a down side to relying on less expensive foreign goods. For decades, one of our supposed best allies was the worst economic dumper..South Korea. That's changed now and we import more steel from Canada, arch rival Russia, Brazil and India than anyone else.

Looks like the fake news networks are making something out of nothing. Looks like all the hoopla is only going to raise the prices of metal.

It must really suck being a Trump advisor, he doesn't take advice. The only reason he's in favor of tariffs is because he got some steelworker's votes in Pennsylvania.

Not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but I'm thinking one of the big reasons we started importing so much steel was because Americans got greedy and caused the price to skyrocket with the unions and such. This make me wonder if we are not setting our self up for rinse and repeat situation.

slick4591":z8g9jtii said:
Not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but I'm thinking one of the big reasons we started importing so much steel was because Americans got greedy and caused the price to skyrocket with the unions and such. This make me wonder if we are not setting our self up for rinse and repeat situation.

When we had good wages being paid to union workers producing something we did not have the national debt at the level it is now.

slick4591":1122i7kd said:

Bush 2002 steel tariffs. We were paying 2.50a foot at one point for used drill pipe. I've recently been paying .75 for new pipe. .. simangus hit the nail on the head. If the tariffs had never been removed everything would have stabilized.
Yesterday morning my steel guys wouldn't talk prices. Buy the end of the day they told me to come on. We're heading to San Saba this morning with two trucks and floats. Buying it at the same price I bought it Last week.
I've got plenty of material in stock as well. The way I see it. Let it go up. If it goes up 25percent I'll make 25 percent on my stock. Everyone is playing in the Same arena. Those prepared will do just fine. Those that aren't will be subject to extreme price gouging by companies using the tariffs as a excuse.

Craig Miller":1mj40iof said:

A few weeks ago, we got $6/hundred.

Latest posts