Take Advantage

Help Support CattleToday:

My tank is down pretty low right now. Been thinking of digging it out more since it's only 4' deep right now when full. Hopefully you will get some rain soon to fill it back up.

My tank is down pretty low right now. Been thinking of digging it out more since it's only 4' deep right now when full. Hopefully you will get some rain soon to fill it back up.
That tank has never been dry since I put it decades ago.
It had silted in a couple of feet.
Got it to six feet again.
It covers a lot of surface area normally.

We redid several the last couple years. A good tank is hard to beat. It hasreally payed off. They were more like big holes with not a lot of designing. They have caught and held water significantly better through these dry spells than they use to.

What sort of machine was used to do the work CB?

Ken
I dug that originally with a track hoe and dressed it with a 25 Hp Kubota.
I cleaned it out with a 25 HP Kubota.
Handy little tractors almost as handy as a Bobcat and a lot cheaper.
I was going to rent a D-4 bottom wouldn't have held it.
IMG_2942.jpeg

Well that's what I thought but you said it never been dry ? I guess this year it dried out ?
I guess so we're in a two year drought with half the state burning along with Louisiana.
We're only 30" behind in rain this year. Most herds have been sold off, very few cattle left .

Mine went dry a few years ago and I dipped them out with the tractor. A couple have not filled in much, but one is needing it again. I put a salt block in the bottom/middle for the cattle to tramp the bottom in good and they held good when mother natured refilled.

I dug that originally with a track hoe and dressed it with a 25 Hp Kubota.
I cleaned it out with a 25 HP Kubota.
Handy little tractors almost as handy as a Bobcat and a lot cheaper.
I was going to rent a D-4 bottom wouldn't have held it.
View attachment 34895
I just bought a 3710. I've never had anything with a hydrostatic transmission. Sure makes it nice when working in tight spots. Fitting it with a grapple this weekend. But man that engine spools up and sounds like and egg beater!

My father dug one about that size with a 2wd tractor and a 3 pt dirt scoop on back in the late 70s or early 80s, but over 12' deep.
Had to hook another tractor in front to pull it out when he got pretty deep, as the slope coming up with a full load of dirt in that old scoop put the front end up in the air.
It was solely for the kids and grandkids to fish and swim in. I measured back around 2017 and it was still over 9' deep after all those years. A friend of mine made a too tight turn in the middle of the night and came close to losing a trailer and bobcat off in it. Trailer caught on a stump and stopped the slide. I had to pull truck, bobcat and trailer out with a Case backhoe.

DSC00044.JPG

Last edited:
What tank ?
Is it buried ?
Looks like a dry pond
That's what they call ponds in Texas.....tanks. Like you, when I hear it or see it, first thing that comes too mind is an actual tank like the rubber, plastic or metal ones you buy at TSC. And when they say shredder, they don't mean the office machine used to get rid of paper documents. They mean bush hog. :)

We did it in Vermont also when I was a kid at the property my family had... spring into a little pool... right below the spring/ was diverted into a "tank"... cistern we called it.... piped all the way down the side of the mountain to the cabin... which was more of a log sided lodge.... had gravity fed running water in the bathroom with it... and everything got drained and winterized after hunting season and closed up until spring... They used to leave the water trickling so the pipes wouldn't freeze up inside if it was real cold outside during hunting season...

Mine went dry a few years ago and I dipped them out with the tractor. A couple have not filled in much, but one is needing it again. I put a salt block in the bottom/middle for the cattle to tramp the bottom in good and they held good when mother natured refilled.
That's a good idea.

Ken

Latest posts