Stupid question on AI.

Help Support CattleToday:

bobrammer

Reaction score
I've just gotten started with Registered BA. I've been thinking of trying AI to get best quality without bringing in a big dollar
bull. AI seems like a reasonable way to get what where I want to be.

Obviously, if you bring an AI tech in you want as many ready cows as possible. How do you get all of the girls ready to breed at the same time? Thanks!

Isn't advice with herd syc part of an AI tech's services?

semon demon answered alot of my questions about AI'ing. He'll help you out soon.

Depends on if he/she is from one of the studs or a independant technician. The ones that work for the studs, all of them that I know anyway, do it. One guy is an independent and all he does is inseminate cows, not very well at that!

dun

bob...,
If you have several cows and plan to AI much taking an AI course should be considered. We use an AI tech/vet student because she is good,near by and reasonable. But, even then sometimes she is not available,we don't want to miss the cycle and we/I must fill in. At a lessor success rate I hasten to add.

Preston, I agree I am new at this too and even if I have to do them 2 times each to get them all, it is still much cheaper than buying that high dollar bull.

Select Sires is a great place for the school (if they can find a farm to host the school) and they come to your farm on a scheduled basis to deliver supplies and semen and will give you all the advice you need.

So how does that work?
Does Select Sires supply all the semen to breed your cows? is this like getting your cows semi-bred for free?

Aero, Nothing is for free, They sell semen and offer trainiing and do an excellent job helping you with advice and answer question about your breeding program.

They have a truck that makes regular runs though the southeast and will deliver the semen and supplies that you order and fill your LN tank.

Aero":2i3fun8v said:
So how does that work?
Does Select Sires supply all the semen to breed your cows? is this like getting your cows semi-bred for free?
The other companies work the same way that C. HOLLAND stated that Select Sires does, if they have a rep in your area. All you have to do is contact the different Co.'s to find out if they have a rep in your area that services customers, besides AI'ng their cows.

so you give them the facilities to run their business and they charge you for their expenses? seems like a mediocre scam to me, but i understand why it is necessary.

Aero":1b6mg1hv said:
so you give them the facilities to run their business and they charge you for their expenses? seems like a mediocre scam to me, but i understand why it is necessary.
You're probaly understanding it wrong.

la4:
which is why i am asking about it. :)

i dont know anything about the process. hence, the question.

Aero":1zdismdj said:
la4:
which is why i am asking about it. :)

i dont know anything about the process. hence, the question.
Tell us what you are understanding, and maybe I or someone else will help you. We can't read your mind.

Aero":12xfakyy said:
So how does that work?

we arent getting mixed up. this is just a late development. :D

Why do I feel I have missed something..was there a post taken out of sync....? :help: :roll: Or is it that I have arrived in Florida and the few hours of sun is already having an effect? 8).

Aero":2zqw7byg said:
So how does that work?

If you are talking about the on farm training, you don't actually place the semen in the cow. That is the easy part, once the gun is in the right spot! They will teach you when and where to place the gun.

Aero, I think I know where we took the wrong turn.

Select Sires does not have their own cows to AI and when they find a farm that will let them teach AI, They will tell people that are interested in the school where it will be and the date.
Each student will pay $250.00 for the 3 day school and Select Sires will provide the supplies and semen to practice AI the cows. when I went through it we did not use good semen and it was only a class to teach us the fundamentals of AI.
They do not charge the farm anything, but if you actually wanted your cows AI, the students would not be the best choice to do them. SS will do the cows for you if you sync them and make arraingements in advance, but not normally during the AI school.

Does this help with the confusion

Latest posts