Stupid question on AI.

Help Support CattleToday:

preston39":2izh1yno said:
Why do I feel I have missed something..was there a post taken out of sync....? :help: :roll: Or is it that I have arrived in Florida and the few hours of sun is already having an effect? 8).

LOL Preston we all have been in the sun to long at one time, I think Aero was considering SS coming to his farm to teach AI and do his cows then. Thats not practical, I know I wouldnt want to do someones cows during this 3 day crash course. I am not that sure of my ability and only practice will help.

NO WAY would I EVER let someone come "teach" an A-I course at my place on my cows!!!!! I've been to A-I school, we worked on packer cows. Some of em were definately ruff around the edges, but that's why they use those old worn out cows. You get some guys up there that have never done it before and, I kid you not, they look they are tryin to shoot pool with the A-I gun stuck up there (which looks about like a knittin needle). I can just imagine all the extra holes that are punched into those cows before they learn how to "do it the right way".
Bovine Elite in College Station, Texas is where I went. And yes I was just as inexperienced as the next person, but bein female maybe I hadda lil more compassion for them cows. Just because they were goin from there to the packin house didn't mean you could be ruff with em. School was a week long deal, and the 4 days we actually got to work on cows, we got a new set. (bout 20 head) It's not for the squeamish that's for sure. I'd suggest finding an A-I course that furnishes the cows like this one did. That way no one's cows are gonna be injured in the process.
As for how it's done. Either you watch for natural heat cycles, and have all of your A-I stuff ready and waitin. Or you give them a shot of lutilyse (sp) to make them come into heat. Our local vet also A-I's. If you go that route, he can come out and give the shots, then come back when it's time to A-I. Hope this helps you understand a little better.

AMEN Lilly, I know the place we went to school at told us that the cows we worked on would be on the trailer the following week.

i just meant that if you had commercial cows that you would normally use a herd sire on, you might be able to host a school and get your herd AI'd for nothing.

and no untrained stranger is touching my cows. :D

Latest posts