Stupid Calf Syndrome

Help Support CattleToday:

Andyva

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a little disjointed, but here goes. My wife was reading an article off of her facebook feed about foal performance after assisted birth or C-section. My selective hearing tuned in on key parts of the conversation. Basically they have been researching horses, and they found out that at birth, they need significant pressure to turn off and on neurotransmitters. It would seem that in-utero fetuses are under the effects of "brain chemicals" that act as depressants and keep them from trying to run around in there. Pressure in the birth canal for certain durations cause these chemicals to get turned off. The idea is that with assisted births, they sometimes get pulled out too quickly and with C-sections of course, they don't even pass through the birth canal, so they are still "in sleep mode". This causes lethargic newborns that don't want to nurse, stand up, and so-on.
This reminds me of a lot of calves I have dealt with through the years, some pulled, some that got cold, some that had other problems. You know the ones, they don't want to stand up, you put the nipple in their mouth and they don't suck, real pains in the arse. Some of them just roll their eyes back in their head and try to push back at any resistence you put on them. Not chilled, not starved, just seemingly mentally deficient.

I found a way to deal with these, quite by accident. years ago. I was dealing with sheep, I had an old ewe that had one lamb she was owning, and another that was kind of dumb acting and she didn't want anything to do with it. I caught her and put her in the barn and was trying to get the bum lamb to suck, pinning the ewe against the wall and trying to get him on the teat. He just wanted to fight and spit the teat and suck anything but the teat. I got tired of trying to fight with them so I turned loose and the lamb flopped over in front of the ewe and she rammed him against the wall, I thought he was a goner. He stood up immediately and started going for the ewe. She bunched up to hit him again and I grabbed her, and he went over and latched on and sucked until his sides stuck out and he laid down. Had to do some convincing on the ewe, but the lamb did good from that point on. Here is the part where I'm going to get flamed. Ever since seeing how that happened, when I get a lamb or a calf that is acting retarded when trying to get it to suck, first I make sure that it is not chilled or dehydrated or already full, but if it has no reason not to suck, and after a reasonable amount of time trying to get it to, I pick it up, not real high, and drop it, and then try again. Many times this has been successful, I always thought of it as the reset button. Sounds bad, but seeing them fall out of a cow, they are designed to withstand it. When my wife read the article to me it kind of reminded me of this phenomenon, kind of makes sense that there are certain triggers that affect the brain of an organism that has been more or less dormant for most of it's existence. If anyone is interested I'll try to find the article.

That is interesting and I am sure there is a lot to it. (Just like the endorphins that are released during the dying process in humans that bring on a kind of a euphoric effect.)
I always thought the rough treatment of the calf dropping, licking, and falling trying to get up, assisted in clearing their lungs and stimulated them to release endorphins for respiration and brain activity. I guess that is close.

When we did a C-Section last year the calf wasn't really acting right and the vet did the same thing--kinda picked it up and dropped it. Didn't help much with getting him to stand because his back legs were really strange (possibly DS), but it did get him to start trying to stand/sit up.

Some times the cow pushes the calf over when it tries to rise and she is cleaning it. This does not seem to discourage the calf in any way. The calf needs some stimui to work right. Also, the calf tail is supposed to move from side to side while it is nursing, this signals that the milk is going where it should (into the abomasum). That start so much easier when the cow is able to groom the calf when it is nursing - those that graft calves can look out for this and possibly handle the calf like a cow would (more pressure when touching it).

This is similar to an article I just read about Dummy foals. Instead of dropping the foal though they wrap it with ropes and pull hard enough (simulating contractions) until the foal falls over. This is apparently enough to rid the brain of sleeper hormones. After that the foal just gets up and starts seeking mom.

Hey, on some of these dumb calves anything is worth a try!.. I think it can be from the opposite too though.. too long in the birth canal and starved for oxygen, which may be a more permanent "dumb calf".

I have one cow that literally throws her calf around when she's licking it off for the first time... a scary sight, but she's not the one with stupid calves.

Very interesting. Woodducks and other cavity nesters often lay in nests 100' or more high. The newly hatched ducklings simply plummet to the ground, and are so light that they bounce unharmed. Breeders who keep them in captivity have learned that dropping them even from a few feet has a benefit in the activity and behavior of newly hatched ducklings that those who are not dropped don't seem to have.

Latest posts