Stray calf in my yard

Help Support CattleToday:

mjdtexan

Reaction score
34594172714_0_BG.jpg

64594172714_0_BG.jpg

This calf keeps showing up in my back yard. It wont let me get close to it. They people who I think own it havent been around since hurricane Ike. Would it be wrong to trap it and feed it until someone shows up?

no trapp the calf.im sure he needs water an feed.but know that the people may not come an claim the calf.an that youd have a feed an hay in the calf.

Looks like there's plenty of grass out there; if the calf isn't causing problems I'd be inclined to let it run free since he's not going to starve to death out there.

bigbull338":b6hs9utk said:
no trapp the calf.im sure he needs water an feed.but know that the people may not come an claim the calf.an that youd have a feed an hay in the calf.

Yeah, I'm gonna trap him. He has been drinking from the pond in our pasture. Getting ready for a barbed wire fence in the back yard anyway. We were planning on getting some steers in march. Ifin the guy does not claim the calf I guess I will be that much ahead. I would rather the guy know where the calf is.

Contact the Sheriff and inform him what you have so someone doesn't accuse you of rustling.

I agree with backhoe, pen them and take care of them but inform the authorities. Sorry I didn't make that as clear as I was thinking.

mjdtexan":7jao9zdc said:
This calf keeps showing up in my back yard. It wont let me get close to it. They people who I think own it havent been around since hurricane Ike. Would it be wrong to trap it and feed it until someone shows up?

When we had all the fires running through here, they called me and told me my place was on fire but they saved my home.

All of my hand dug fences with wood posts were gone. I still had pens on the left side of the house and driveway. The fire department was cutting fence and fighting fires all over the county. Livestock was everywhere.

We began running the livestock up the driveway and putting it in the pens I had left.

Most of my hay was lost in the barns that burned but I still had some. We salvaged water troughs and fed and watered some pretty scared animals.

Most everyone that came and claimed their animals were grateful. One guy showed up about 5 days or so (I really don't remember exactly) and was very upset with me and acused me of taking his stock.

The animals needed to be protected calmed and fed. Even tho that one guy made me madder than a firecracker, it was not the animals fault. I did the right thing.

If he had called law enforcement, I had about 6 neighbors who would have testified that I cared for their animals etc. No big deal.

Do the right thing and you won't regret it.

bought hay, he likes it. He also likes the well water pretty good. That ole boy really likes the grass though. I went and put a note on the guys door. There are other cows at his place, somebody is coming around and caring for them as there is fresh water and hay about and what looks like some sort of feed. Remember I am the newbie so I am kinda guessing at a lot of things. His neighbors say there is a strange truck that comes by and deals with the rest of the herd. I left my phone number and address on the note. I imagine that who ever is caring for the animals will read it and come take the calf. You guys cant see the pictures that I posted huh?

I'm the only place down my stretch of road but have plenty of cattle in pasture south of me.I mend fence and put up gates and round up critters all the time for folks.it never hurts to help out with or without any thanks.
Do the right thing and you'll be rewarded...whether you realize it or not.

last year was headed for town on a back road a few miles away and came across a down gate and a couple of hundred head crossin the road into standing oats.Took some whoopin and arm wavin but got them turned around and back into the pasture before the main body came through.Wasn't sure I had em all so I left a note on the door of the house with my name and number,what had happened and to maybe check for any I'd missed...never heard a word.
strange thing...the gate was opened in,not blown out...
do what you think is right(but cover yer butt),even if it's just for the sake of your own karma ;)

Well somebody came looking for the calf. A steer and a younger calf came looking for the calf. So, they are all happily eating grass in the pasture. I am not sure how the guys cows are getting out. He still has some in his fenced in area, and I cant see any holes in his fence. In our "neighborhood" you can only get in and out by one street. We live in a big circle. This guys property is catycorner and behind our. The note I left is gone though. There is fresh food in his dogs bowl. We'll wait and see. Maybe i'll have cows before March after all!!!! Thats doubtfull really, I am sure he has a sizeable investment in his cattle.

Well, the steers and heifers are back at their home. Their owner turned out to be a nice guy and was grateful. I now get to go over there at will (within reason i'm sure) and see how things go. He's even gonna help me fence in the back pasture

Oh, and how come all of the avatars are now on the right side of the page?

Avatars?? I don't know,but it annoys the HECK out of me!!
Glad your calf problem had a good ending

Latest posts