Stolen in 5 minutes...

Help Support CattleToday:

Joy in Texas

Reaction score
Yesterday was bad day .I swear just about ready to throw my hands up and quit everything. We got 15 of our heavy bred heifers moved to their new home. All went well, I took feed over and the hubby went to pick up a round bale. He took the first bale to the older cows, brought one here to the house. Decided to take one to our yearling heifers. They are about 7 miles from the house. He got the bale over there,but somewhere on the way back the hay buggy came off the truck.We found were it came loose on a dirt road. But it was gone. Can you believe with in a matter of 5 minutes someone stole it ? We just put 2 brand new tires on it. Oh I was so mad. We drove all over the place looking. Like we really were going to find it. That is just sad ,the way some people are.
A few months ago we found a hay buggy on the side of the road. Did we steal it no. We put in our place up by the front gates. Because we knew someone would come back looking for it. About 2 hrs later a friend of ours came over and said. I think I lost my buggy. We all laughed, And he thanked us.

I lost a 5x5 bale last Sunday going through town to a leased pasture. I didn't realize I had lost it until I got down to the pasture. When I came back into town, I could see where the bale had hit the pavement but it was gone. I'm still trying to figure out how someone got it loaded and gone so quick.

I was going slow-I was in town. I didn't hear or feel any commotion when it fell. I don't even know how it came off the trailer as I had it packed on pretty good and strapped down. This bale came out about middle of the trailer. I had two rows of four on each side of the trailer. I doubt if this one came apart but I still don't know how any body had time to go and get something to lift it.

Rustler9":s183ld1e said:
I was going slow-I was in town. I didn't hear or feel any commotion when it fell. I don't even know how it came off the trailer as I had it packed on pretty good and strapped down. This bale came out about middle of the trailer. I had two rows of four on each side of the trailer. I doubt if this one came apart but I still don't know how any body had time to go and get something to lift it.

Aren't ya' glad it didn't land on somebody tailgating you...then again, it might have been worth the price of admission to see that happen.

Seriously, it's hard to imagine how anyone could have snagged that huge bale in town. Thieves are getting slicker and slicker, I guess...jerks!

Alice

Just about everybody round here has a spear on the back of their truck. Wouldnt take long to snag up a bale.

As far as the bale buggy; you guys dont use safety chains?

Carlos D.":1ulfe5i3 said:
Just out of curiosity how much is that bale worth???

carl

I don't think enough to make it a felony...but almost!

Alice

I've never seen a single bale buggy with chains - although it's a good idea.

Just be glad that bale didn't hit somebody and you get into a heck of a mess being sued or something - more then that bale was worth for sure.

I see stuff on the side of the road all the time. A couple weeks ago I saw one of those big green creep feeders, brand new except it was dinged up pretty good from coming off a truck. I can't imagine losing something that big off a truck and not knowing it.

They haul quite a bit of hay by our house and it gets sent over seas. We had a semi com around the corner below our house pretty fast and he lost the entire load off of the 16 foot pup he was pulling. The neighbor was right behind him, truck driver stop and so did the neighbor. Truck driver said " You didn't see me", and take all you want. These were 150 pound three string bales, we went down and got two ton and the neighbor got two ton, we were worn out by then. Went into town about an hour later and the rest was completely gone. Word of mouth traveled fast.

Bobg

Bobg":12f9f5tq said:
They haul quite a bit of hay by our house and it gets sent over seas. We had a semi com around the corner below our house pretty fast and he lost the entire load off of the 16 foot pup he was pulling. The neighbor was right behind him, truck driver stop and so did the neighbor. Truck driver said " You didn't see me", and take all you want. These were 150 pound three string bales, we went down and got two ton and the neighbor got two ton, we were worn out by then. Went into town about an hour later and the rest was completely gone. Word of mouth traveled fast.

Bobg

So how did he explain his missing load?

sidney411":9oieaudp said:
I've never seen a single bale buggy with chains - although it's a good idea.

Around here if it doesnt come with chains you better put some on it. The state troopers were very adimate about that at the county ag conf.

...Not to mention its just a good idea and a lot cheaper than the possible results of a loose buggy.

Bobg":1pjdfn3c said:

Bobg

If I read this right,

(a) truck driver gave you "permission" to take what you wanted of someone else's hay
(b) you and your neighbor helped yourselves to what you could of someone else's hay

If that is correct, then I'd have to say that all three of you are dishonest...and that's putting it politely. You might have helped him reload his trailer, secure the load properly, and sent him on his way so that someone else would get what he'd paid for. What if this had been hay you had purchased and two low-lifes stole it?

It was probably cheaper for the trucker to pay for the hay than to pay the ticket for losing his load. That is why he got out of there.

Gale Seddon":25pi2fdy said:
Bobg":25pi2fdy said:

Bobg

If I read this right,

(a) truck driver gave you "permission" to take what you wanted of someone else's hay
(b) you and your neighbor helped yourselves to what you could of someone else's hay

If that is correct, then I'd have to say that all three of you are dishonest...and that's putting it politely. You might have helped him reload his trailer, secure the load properly, and sent him on his way so that someone else would get what he'd paid for. What if this had been hay you had purchased and two low-lifes stole it?

I am not condoning this act for one minute, but the owner was probably compensated by his insurance.

that's how and why premiums go up. :roll:

We have our beef expo coming up this weekend. That's always a free for all. Have to keep everything chained up and even then half the people have bolt cutters and help themselves.

Well we still have not located the missing buggy yet. I put up a sign yesterday morning right where the buggy came off. It read .Lost Hay Buggy. If you have any information please call this #. I had to check on a couple of cows yesterday evening. And guess what ! They stole the sign too. So pretty much I figure it someone that lives down that road or close by. I have half the county looking. Not that I even believe we will ever find it. It seems that we have a crime spree going on anyway...they are stealing flatbed trailors,tractors,riding lawn mowers ect.ect......

Safety chains are indicated for all items pulled behind a vehicle.

Should it come off and hit an oncoming or following car and kill someone one could be charged with negligent manslauther.....or some similar charge.

Have to live with the accident, costly defence and maybe jail time. All prevented with a couple chains.

Not good.

unfortunitly, not even chains can help if you lose what it's attached to. had "new" used truck, with hitch attached, checked out hitch, looked good. couple yrs later, driving truck, trailer and mini horses to show. have someone wave to me and say "losing trailer", i pull over, only one inch of metal is holding trailer to truck!! :eek:

whole piece underneath rusted out, thank god someone waved me down, didn't feel the trailer coming loose because momentem kept trailer even til i started to slow down, then it hit the pavement. pulled over just in time. needless to say, trailer hitch is now securly attached to good metal and my brother welded the hec out of it, won't be going anywhere now!

Latest posts