Stolen Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

I think we are going to start seeing a lot more stolen cattle with these markets being what they are.

Especially in states where there are no brand laws.

The Cartels are the biggest players in the cattle business south of the border. As they move into south and central Texas you will see more of this happening. I have noticed a large increase in beat up pickups from south Texas driving around this area pulling empty cattle trailers.

[Musing in the AM]

Every time I hear of something awful (abuse, shooting, etc.) at a public school, I think homeschooling sure seems to make a lot of sense.

In a similar vein, I'm wondering if adding horns to your cattle (or having cattle that are something other than solid black) would make them less susceptible to theft.

[/Musing in the AM]

Again, I'm sorry for your loss. I'd be just sick if it happened to me...

Post and repost this all over your local craigslist and any facebook pages you may have that relate to livestock. It is amazing the power of social media and people who will take a personal interest to look out for these animals for you. Include a picture of your brand so folks know what to look for.

Shanghai":pvzjnv74 said:
That's kind of like going to the emergency room without insurance, they'll help and won't refuse you, but it aint right ;-)

I was talking to one of their Cattle Rangers and he said " They help non member because they see it as preventing something from happening to one of their members or a lead on catching someone who has stolen from a member."

Shanghai":1lie0vl5 said:
TexasBred":1lie0vl5 said:
Shanghai":1lie0vl5 said:
That's kind of like going to the emergency room without insurance, they'll help and won't refuse you, but it aint right ;-)
Buy'em a 30 pack.

Is that legal, I mean while duty ?
I'm going try that he next time the highway patrol pulls me over
Him : sir is there a medical emergency ?
Me: Naw I'm just trying to get to the beer store before they close. I have a couple left though. Here take one and git in and go with me :D
If you know the HP he won't take it but he will ask you to pick him up a quart next time you go to the liquor store. He folks from Texas and southwestern probably would appreciate the 30 pack for "after work". :nod: But you knew that !!!!!

Try to get the sale barns in your area to announce it at the start of the sale. Cattle thieves are almost always caught when someone in the crowd or a neighbor notices something's not right.

So we have contacted the major sales around us. Milano, West and Gatesville. Spoke with authorities yesterday and they let me know that there was a spread of 3-4 within two days across our area. Everyone has brands and tags on the cattle. They felt confident they would show up somewhere even if we dont get ours back. Even if we dont get them back I want to see the people just thrown in jail at least. . Thank you all for the support.

cloud9cattle":y3kucoie said:
Not a related topic but we had 7 of our replacement heifers stolen tuesday night. We had them all penned to work wendesday afternoon. We had plans on adding to the group and working them all at once wends. evening.
Cant believe some people...Im afraid the more and more this market goes up and the public is made aware of the rising $$$$$ this may become more and more common. I feel so sick. All heifers are carrying our cloud nine brand with tag#'s 20-27 in the right and purple tags with DOB in the left. Worth a shot letting everyone know never know who may see this.
Cloud9 -- Do you have pic or diagram of your brand?

Kathie in Thorp":188cr03k said:
cloud9cattle":188cr03k said:
Not a related topic but we had 7 of our replacement heifers stolen tuesday night. We had them all penned to work wendesday afternoon. We had plans on adding to the group and working them all at once wends. evening.
Cant believe some people...Im afraid the more and more this market goes up and the public is made aware of the rising $$$$$ this may become more and more common. I feel so sick. All heifers are carrying our cloud nine brand with tag#'s 20-27 in the right and purple tags with DOB in the left. Worth a shot letting everyone know never know who may see this.
Cloud9 -- Do you have pic or diagram of your brand?

Ill Post A Couple Pics Of The Heifers And The Brand Drawings Tonight.

Cloud I am sorry for your loss I hope they catch them and get your cattle back.

inyati13":n47f28hv said:
Sorry. I despise a theif above anything. Stealing a dog or livestock is the most despised theif of all. I can understand why early Americans despised a horse theif!

I hate a thief as well but if its a horse thief that anyone knows of please send them my way :D

Recieved A Call They Found One Of My Heifers Last Night In Hugo Oklahoma. Apparently the person who had her showed proof of purchasing her over the weekend from a so called broker. Saw the tag in her year and called the number directly to me to find out her history. We both contacted the authorities and they are on the Hunt. Say A Prayer they find The Others.

Calhoun Farm":1x5lh67a said:
Good luck cloud.

Thanks! Anxious and nervous how everything is going to play out. Anyone know if I will get them back if they were sold? What about the pople who bought them not knowing? Are they at a loss?

Around here if you buy stolen property the authorities will return the item(s) back to the original owner. The buyer is SOL unless cops can find the thief and get the unknowing buyer his money back.

cloud9cattle":16kzirl8 said:
Calhoun Farm":16kzirl8 said:
Good luck cloud.

Thanks! Anxious and nervous how everything is going to play out. Anyone know if I will get them back if they were sold? What about the pople who bought them not knowing? Are they at a loss?
Different states have different laws about recovery. I recently learned that in our state if a person buys something legitimately, legally purchased, then it is theirs. For it to be considered receiving stolen property then the person has to know it was stolen.

Tim/South":17hx0lkf said:
cloud9cattle":17hx0lkf said:
Calhoun Farm":17hx0lkf said:
Good luck cloud.

Different states have different laws about recovery. I recently learned that in our state if a person buys something legitimately, legally purchased, then it is theirs. For it to be considered receiving stolen property then the person has to know it was stolen.

Im really praying this isnt the case.

Latest posts