Stockpile ? for Fescue Fans

Help Support CattleToday:

Bringing an old topic back up. Tomorrow is Dec 20 and I should start strip grazing the stockpile fescue but I still have a couple days at least of Diakon Rasish mixed in with some grass. Will start strip grazing the fescue by Wednesdays and hope it will last a couple months +. I know it's not for everyone but the strip grazing really works for me.
Thanks for the info. This thread is an interesting read. Nice to see the feed tests. Next fall I plan on testing some of my standing grass to get a better idea of the feed value. I assume because the cattle were content and would leave more than adequate hay to graze the stockpile must've been better but I like to confirm and run everything through my ration software.

Fescue pastures are flash grazed in summer to avoid damage and to remove weeds, other grasses, ... Started strip grazing on the 16th. Will strip graze through the winter. I do not fool with hay and buy some for management, bad winter weather, weaning and mostly for sheep. Fed the cows one bale last year. No cheaper feeding. Animals are adapted.

I don't think I ever asked, do you buy the hay you feed in the mid-late fall? Do you supplement with anything else during the winter like tubs or commodity mix?

Also, did you meet that goal on the well, waterers, fencing ect?
I actually only fed a few rolls this fall. Had lots of extra grass and only fed a roll occasionally when I wanted to get cows near the lots. I always put up a little hay but buy some also. This is for bought calves and trade cattle.
I have used Chrystalyx tubs in the past but with 17-18% protein fescue that's kinda a waste.
As for the fence, well, and water system I installed everything in 2018. I spent more on the water system than i originally figured because had to rent an excavator with a Rock hammer to put some of it in.

I actually only fed a few rolls this fall. Had lots of extra grass and only fed a roll occasionally when I wanted to get cows near the lots. I always put up a little hay but buy some also. This is for bought calves and trade cattle.
I have used Chrystalyx tubs in the past but with 17-18% protein fescue that's kinda a waste.
As for the fence, well, and water system I installed everything in 2018. I spent more on the water system than i originally figured because had to rent an excavator with a Rock hammer to put some of it in.
Did you get some Conservation assistance on the well and water system?

Fescue pastures are flash grazed in summer to avoid damage and to remove weeds, other grasses, ... Started strip grazing on the 16th. Will strip graze through the winter. I do not fool with hay and buy some for management, bad winter weather, weaning and mostly for sheep. Fed the cows one bale last year. No cheaper feeding. Animals are adapted.
There is currently no profit feeding hay to commodity cows in most of the snow country. We can grow fescue here, with occasional winter injury, but the snow may get too deep after Thanksgiving. Folks have been trying to graze standing SS or corn. SS is too brittle. Corn stands much better. Not sure how well grazing corn will pencil out in 2021. Lots of talk about $5/bu grain.

There is currently no profit feeding hay to commodity cows in most of the snow country. We can grow fescue here, with occasional winter injury, but the snow may get too deep after Thanksgiving. Folks have been trying to graze standing SS or corn. SS is too brittle. Corn stands much better. Not sure how well grazing corn will pencil out in 2021. Lots of talk about $5/bu grain.
We rarely have any snow and its super rare we have enough that they can't graze. If I had snow it would totally change how I do things. Our ground rarely freezes so that's a huge difference also.

Every place has a down side and up side. I think SGF called it the unfair advantage. I am on the bottom rung of the fescue belt. Many around me hate fescue and manage it into oblivion. Some are trying the novel renovations but they would be a small % I would think due to costs and management needed to maintain those stands. But I carry no cost or labor on hay equipment and that is a money saver. Some say the land is a cost but I have it, do not plan to sell it, so there is the basis. Our worst winter weather is seldom snow but sleet and freezing rain. That will also stop grazing on the dime.

We are losing some hay ground in 2021, and we were very dry this fall. Looks like I should cut cow herd by about 1/3 if I stay with all cows. Looks like I should cut the cow herd by about 2/3 if I get get aggressive grazing yearlings during the spring flush.

On paper - - I should then be able to extend the cow grazing season by a couple months.

Last edited:
Based on that setup, have you ever thought about using those tumble wheels? I am just thinking about having to move all those step-ins if it is really cold and raining. I have no idea what they cost though.

That is some good looking grass. At what point, if at all, do you brush hog it during the summer? After the first grazing?

Based on that setup, have you ever thought about using those tumble wheels? I am just thinking about having to move all those step-ins if it is really cold and raining. I have no idea what they cost though.

That is some good looking grass. At what point, if at all, do you brush hog it during the summer? After the first grazing?
If the fescue tops get ahead of me I will bush hog to get the tops. And some paddocks always do. The one in the picture actually was not clipped this summer.
Adding to that the hill in the background is much steeper than it appears. It takes a 4x4 tractor or truck to get up it.

Latest posts