Stockpile ? for Fescue Fans

Help Support CattleToday:

Douglas":3c5afos9 said:
The fertilizer also increases fall quantity more importantly
I'm gonna attempt to use a grazing stick and estimate the forage amount. Will try to post the results of that this weekend. It's an estimate but should give me some idea. It will also tell me how nany days of grazing i have.

kenny thomas":mkwgpozn said:
Douglas":mkwgpozn said:
I'm gonna attempt to use a grazing stick and estimate the forage amount. Will try to post the results of that this weekend. It's an estimate but should give me some idea. It will also tell me how nany days of grazing i have.
Those grazing stick usage is pretty neat and probably accurate. Do you have one?

jltrent":1wot89ss said:
kenny thomas":1wot89ss said:
Douglas":1wot89ss said:
Those grazing stick usage is pretty neat and probably accurate. Do you have one?
Yes I do. Somewhere in the mess behind my truck seat.

kenny thomas":24jpu8lk said:
Got the results from forage test today. Stockpile fescue that I spread Urea was 19.7% protein.
No urea 17.8%. I will post the results here if I can send them to someone. Anyone that can post the pictures care to share their email and I will send them.
Your test results are very impressive.

Banjo":hn1ipyr4 said:
kenny thomas":hn1ipyr4 said:
Got the results from forage test today. Stockpile fescue that I spread Urea was 19.7% protein.
No urea 17.8%. I will post the results here if I can send them to someone. Anyone that can post the pictures care to share their email and I will send them.
Your test results are very impressive.
Bring this back up for midtenn and any others that missed it.

Bringing an old topic back up. Spread Urea Friday on my stockpile areas. We are having lots of rain and lots of grass so unless we get some bad weather I think I will have enough grass on the rest of the farm to do the cows until Dec 20 when I start using the stockpile fescue. I think it could last until mid March so 20-30 days of feeding hay next spring I hope.

This has been the wettest August I can remember. We still haven't had a second cutting of hay (spread Urea after the first cutting). The grass is still growing here and we may have as much hay in the second cutting as in the first, assuming we can get some hay weather soon!

sstterry said:
This has been the wettest August I can remember. We still haven't had a second cutting of hay (spread Urea after the first cutting). The grass is still growing here and we may have as much hay in the second cutting as in the first, assuming we can get some hay weather soon!

Lots of very over ripe Johnson Grass in my area. Gonna be a lot of waste

Spread 100# of urea a couple weeks ago on two pastures. Got two moves to make before settling in for winter/weaning around thanksgiving/Christmas timeframe. Last move is stalks and stockpile as long as it lasts, will probably try to feed hay for 30 days before last move to hopefully avoid some hay feeding in the slop of January and February. Back to summer pasture in mid April to first of May if all goes well.

Cut it very first as hay graze it, rest it, graze it again, remove cows at labor day. Wean calves in oct put dry cows on for november to first of jan.

littletom said:
Cut it very first as hay graze it, rest it, graze it again, remove cows at labor day. Wean calves in oct put dry cows on for november to first of jan.

Sure wish I could hay the area I stockpile. It would make everything better.

MO-Ruminants said:
What happens in winter to 10" fescue that is being trampled now?

I strip graze so I try to graze it down to 4-6" in August and then take the cattle off till December. Then only give the cows a limited amount each day

Bringing an old topic back up. Tomorrow is Dec 20 and I should start strip grazing the stockpile fescue but I still have a couple days at least of Diakon Rasish mixed in with some grass. Will start strip grazing the fescue by Wednesdays and hope it will last a couple months +. I know it's not for everyone but the strip grazing really works for me.

Bringing an old topic back up. Tomorrow is Dec 20 and I should start strip grazing the stockpile fescue but I still have a couple days at least of Diakon Rasish mixed in with some grass. Will start strip grazing the fescue by Wednesdays and hope it will last a couple months +. I know it's not for everyone but the strip grazing really works for me.
I don't think I ever asked, do you buy the hay you feed in the mid-late fall? Do you supplement with anything else during the winter like tubs or commodity mix?

Also, did you meet that goal on the well, waterers, fencing ect?

Latest posts