Stirring the pot on the LH/corriente topic

Help Support CattleToday:

I just really don't understand how selling corriente crossed calves would be unscrupulous. If you buy a head cow at the same sale you take the same exact chance. You're buying without knowing any history or if they have had health issues. If I get burnt on a cow trade then that's on me. It's my obligation to train my eye and increase my knowledge not for somebody to fully disclose the information. That's just capitalism and a free market. Education isn't free and you better learn fast or you won't be in the cattle business very long. I would still bet them feed lots are making money on those corr crossed calves. Maybe not as much as they'd like... Seems like the people raising and selling the cattle are the ones getting paid the least anyway.
I'll explain the difference as best as possible.

If you come on here and say I bought some corriente type cattle I'm trying to breed up to an Angus. I had x amount of dollars to work with or hell even if you say I got a good deal on them and wanted to see if I could make a buck you probably won't hear much. You might get a comment or two. Some one might suggest breeding up to maxize your dollar, but all in all most will just keep going. In fact, I would like to see some one bring honest numbers forward on it. I think we all enjoy seeing posts like Murray's or some others that do that.

BUT, if you come on here running your mouth trying to bet people how "your" cattle can beat every one else's, with cattle you don't even own, and made up stuff we all know isn't true... it's going to start a chit storm.

It's a pretty simple deal.

Well. Skippy, dunno where you are getting your false info from, or are you just making it up after a session with the pipe or the bottle? I have never seen one calve at 500 lbs, but I have at 700 or close to it. Clay's boss raises about 400 a year, and buys 500-600 more from people he has supplied a bull to and contracted to buy those calves. They are weaned at 6 mos old, and spend 120 days at his feeding facility. He hauls off the spent mash from the Budweiser plant here, gets all the seed as well as the "trash" from the gin across the highway from his place, puts up about 400 acres of sorghum and sudax silage. He has 8 chicken houses himself, and does the cleanup for other people, probably close to 100 houses. He mixes all this together, and grinds it up with whatever trash hay is around.....soy bean, wheat straw, etc., and feeds this to them free choice. When he sends them to the feed lot in Oklahoma, they are 10 months old, and heifers are 800-900 lbs, steers 900-1000. They feed them out there for 120 days, I think. Then he sells them direct to the processor at 1200-1300lbs.
14 Months and 1300 lbs. is where the problem is.Selling cows that will always produce these calves with miracle performance is what I call bs on.

There are a lot of non members that on line searches send here to read. They are the ones that are hurt by wild claims made in the battle of the keyboards.

14 Months and 1300 lbs. is where the problem is.Selling cows that will always produce these calves with miracle performance is what I call bs on.

There are a lot of non members that on line searches send here to read. They are the ones that are hurt by wild claims made in the battle of the keyboards.
1100 is probably the top end for the heifers, and 1300 the top end for the steers. If they cant put 200-300 lbs on a yearling in 4 months then you need to change feed lots. And if you have a 2200# bull, that can't produce a 15 months old steer that weighs half of what he does...especially one that is fed the way Mike's are for 9 months... then you need to grind him into hamburger.

Like most of the nay-sayers on here, that are all mouth and no knowledge of cattle, I doubt you have the resources to back up your mouth. But if you do, would you be interested in making about $99k+, proving me wrong? The way it works, is he pays the feedlot so much per pound on what they gain. They weigh them when he gets there with them, and weighs them again when he carries them to the processor. So, it should be very easy for someone who can read and do simple math, to determine the weight gains. Any month you want to, I can let you know when he will be there. Each month he carries truck loads to the lot, and picks up the ones that are finished, and carries them to the processor. So, if you are so sure this is al BS, why not make a year's salary by taking a day or 2, and driving to Oklahoma? Bet me $100k that you are right and I am wrong. Or, if that is too rich for your blood ,bet me $10k. Or whatever amount you can afford to lose. Put up or shut up. .

How much can a person really be hurt by buying the cheapest cows around?
Far more people are hurt going to registered sales paying elevated prices for fancy high "breeding value" cattle that don't have to rough it.

1100 is probably the top end for the heifers, and 1300 the top end for the steers. If they cant put 200-300 lbs on a yearling in 4 months then you need to change feed lots. And if you have a 2200# bull, that can't produce a 15 months old steer that weighs half of what he does...especially one that is fed the way Mike's are for 9 months... then you need to grind him into hamburger.

Like most of the nay-sayers on here, that are all mouth and no knowledge of cattle, I doubt you have the resources to back up your mouth. But if you do, would you be interested in making about $99k+, proving me wrong? The way it works, is he pays the feedlot so much per pound on what they gain. They weigh them when he gets there with them, and weighs them again when he carries them to the processor. So, it should be very easy for someone who can read and do simple math, to determine the weight gains. Any month you want to, I can let you know when he will be there. Each month he carries truck loads to the lot, and picks up the ones that are finished, and carries them to the processor. So, if you are so sure this is al BS, why not make a year's salary by taking a day or 2, and driving to Oklahoma? Bet me $100k that you are right and I am wrong. Or, if that is too rich for your blood ,bet me $10k. Or whatever amount you can afford to lose. Put up or shut up. .
As usual you wrote a nice post ignoring what was written. I was questioning the daily gain from birth, not the gain in the feed lot.

At one lot, a third of our best steer calves weighed 1458 lbs at 13 months. The other 2/3 had already gone to the plant. There weren't any southwestern exotics mixed in them though.

At one lot, a third of our best steer calves weighed 1458 lbs at 13 months. The other 2/3 had already gone to the plant. There weren't any southwestern exotics mixed in them though.
The people I bought bulls from for years retain ownership on about 400 head. These are February / March born calves. They go the feedlot after weaning in October with a target date for harvest in April. So 13-14 months at slaughter. These are well bred 3/4 Angus 1/4 Simme calves.

Sliding in some LH or Corriente crosses in the local sale might work for some. The further you are from the major feedlots the better this probably works. But if you have a lot of them and you are close to the feedlots they will remember what you have and either discount your calves or simply not buy them.

I do remember posting on here some sale results from Superior a couple years ago. Selling on Superior these are semi load lots. The Superior reps are going to tell the truth about your cattle because they have a reputation to up hold. There was 3 lots of heifers which were roughly the same size. They were all within about 30 miles of each other. One lot of LH Charolais and 2 lots of Red Angus. The Red Angus out sold the LH cross calves by 70 and 90 cents a pound. I don't care how cheap the cows are. On a semi load of 450 pound calves that is a lot of money.

As usual you wrote a nice post ignoring what was written. I was questioning the daily gain from birth, not the gain in the feed lot.
Well, are you a liar or do you have a touch of dementia? . You did NOT ask how much the daily gain from birth was. You just said : "14 Months and 1300 lbs. is where the problem is. Most of us would love to have a problem like that!

So Clay went with them to carry two truck loads last week. They picked up the ones they had carried out there in August and carried them over to the processor. Those were 82 head, and went on the lot there Aug 16th. They weighed 81,589. when they arrived Aug 16th. When they took them to the processor last Thursday they weighed 109,854. They billed Mike for 28,267 in weight gain. Aug 16th to Dec 20 is 126 days. so they averaged gaining 353 lbs, or 2.82 lbs. per day. No one weighs them at birth, nor at weaning. But, if you wanna use 70 lbs as an average birth weight and 500 as the average weaning weight, you can probably get someone to help you figure what "the daily gain from birth" is.

Last edited:
Well, are you a liar or do you have a touch of dementia? . You did NOT ask how much the daily gain from birth was. You just said : "14 Months and 1300 lbs. is where the problem is. Most of us would love to have a problem like that!

So Clay went with them to carry two truck loads last week. They picked up the ones they had carried out there in August and carried them over to the processor. Those were 82 head, and went on the lot there Aug 16th. They weighed 81,589. when they arrived Aug 16th. When they took them to the processor last Thursday they weighed 109,854. They billed Mike for 28,267 in weight gain. Aug 16th to Dec 20 is 126 days. so they averaged gaining 353 lbs, or 2.82 lbs. per day. No one weighs them at birth, nor at weaning. But, if you wanna use 70 lbs as an average birth weight and 500 as the average weaning weight, You can probably get someone to help you figure what "the daily gain from birth" is.
It would be interesting to compare feed conversion, yield and grade with "beef breed" calves. I know not what the feed conversion was on load I mentioned but those calves left here at 522 lbs on a November 3 and the last 45 of 115 weighed 1458 lbs the following May 15. That would make the poorest gainers doing 4.87 lbs per day.
The lot that is finishing our calves now have a different program and don't push as hard. Our calves went to the plant through Sept and Oct. Canadian grading system different from US but they graded 30% Prime, 60% AAA and 10%AA, all Y1 or Y2. They are happy and so am I.

LOL...

Stackin' **it deep.

Wow! You really need to get the doctor to adjust your meds or something. Is your handle mwj?!!! Or, you have two accounts and forgot which one you were on! ROFLMFAO!!!
Can you carry on any conversation without resorting to insults? It is said if you can't dazzle with Brilliance you need to baffle with bullsh!+

ROFLMAO! This?!! Coming from you?!! Well, right back at you, Hoss.
Then come up with some real number facts from your own herd, maybe add some pictures!

To tell the truth Hoss, I think you are very well read, have a vivid imagination and the ability to lay on the bs as good as anyone I have come across. Writing what a great horseman you are in one thread and telling about running you best old horse nearly to death in an earlier one negates the latter for me.
Running off about the big money deals you've made on handfuls of cattle don't ring with truth to me, people that make big money don't tell everyone else. That's a fact.

Happy New Year Sam

Latest posts