steer trying to mount bred cow

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Well, just when I thought I was starting to get things figured out, I saw this. booger has been trying to mount his momma for the last hour. She not letting him. She blood tested positive bred, but I never did retest later as suggested. She's not showing signs of heat. He may just be playing or she's in heat. Looks like Ill have to run another test and see if she slipped it.
Thought on this?

Thanks dun, I hope your right because I don't want to be set back 6 months. Ill pull a sample anyway and send it in. He sure is sniffing her backside a lot. Maybe its just the cool weather

hooknline":3d5lfppa said:
She just tried to ride him twice
That's not a good sign. Our steer calves try to ride their mommas if they're bored but thew cow riding sucks.

pray for a false heat. I have one cow that without fail comes into "heat" no less than 3 times during each pregnancy but she is always bred.

A cow has two ovaries. They cycle independantly of each other. When a cow becomes pregnant the other ovary is suposed to build a corpus lutiem to help mantain the pregnancy in the other horn but that doesn't always happen. Nutrition is a big factor. I've had cows that become pregnant and then show estrus at regular intervals right up until calving.
That being said, I would take the opertunity to learn about the inside of a cows rectum if I were you. If she's in heat, you should have a hard ball in the palm of your hand and if she's bred you won't be able to hold her uterus in your hand. Pretty cut and dry with a six month calf and cheaper than bloodwork.

cow pollinater":381tbmhx said:
A cow has two ovaries. They cycle independantly of each other. When a cow becomes pregnant the other ovary is suposed to build a corpus lutiem to help mantain the pregnancy in the other horn but that doesn't always happen. Nutrition is a big factor. I've had cows that become pregnant and then show estrus at regular intervals right up until calving.
That being said, I would take the opertunity to learn about the inside of a cows rectum if I were you. If she's in heat, you should have a hard ball in the palm of your hand and if she's bred you won't be able to hold her uterus in your hand. Pretty cut and dry with a six month calf and cheaper than bloodwork.

CP once you've done a few it's even easier than that. A novice should be able to find a 3 month calf with just a little coaching.

Samples went off today, should have results Thursday. I wish I could get someone over here to walk me thru what I'm looking/feeling for. But until that happens, I'm not comfy with stickin my arm up her chute to feel blindly. She goes into the chute easy enuf if anyone wants to come over and walk me thru it. Hint hint...

Jeanie, funny you mention that. There's 2 other ranches within spitting distance. That same morning both me and my wife commented how a neighboring cow was bawling excessively long. I dunno..well find out soon enuf I guess.

hooknline":1jwadkv5 said:
Blood test came back as open.

That stinks. Happens to everyone. I'm sure it's worse when it happens to your whole herd. Hard part now is deciding what to do or why it happened.

Well, I'm going to put her back with the bull for just one cycle, then blood test her again 45 days after pulling her. If she comes back open again I'm gonna eat her. If she turns up open again at all she's freezer bound

Just got a call that the bull is all over her. He tried to nail her to the fence, so I may have to fix the fence for him.

With the price of beef right now you could probably haul her to the sale and bring a close-up home and break even. If you're willing to eat her then the attatchment isn't strong enough to trump cold hard cash.

True CP. If she comes back tested open in 45 days, I'm just going to send her to the butcher. I only have the 3 head. Her, her steer calf( 8 months) and another steer (12 months) and I'm dang near out of beef. So beef in the freezer takes priority.I'm not doing this for profit, more just so I know what I'm getting, and my beef taste far beteer than what I can buy at the grocery store. So, we'll see what happens in 45 days from now

Since you have a breeding date, you don't have to wait 45 days. You can test at 30 days, but since she's already slipped one early pregnancy you would probably want to check again a couple months after the first test.

Latest posts