Steer throwing up

Help Support CattleToday:

Byrdy

Reaction score
Hi - I have a 10 month old steer that throws up every night. He was real sick about two weeks ago with what we believe may have been acidosis or an infection in his stomach. He is better now with normal eating and drinking habits, no more runny poops, but now every morning I go out and he has thrown up sometime overnight. He doesn;t throw up at all during the day and like I said he eats just fine. I still have him on the sodium bicarb and probiotic. He finished his antibiotics about a week ago. Is this normal after being so sick? I didn't even know steers could throw up. I have him only on grass hay for now. Should I just keep doing what I'm doing?

Are you sure it's just not excess rumen material? You realize how cattle eat - they swallow a lot into the rumen then bring it back up to chew at some later time. I have one or two that get a little sloppy the second time up, especially when they are on corn stalks. If he is no longer sick I would stop the sodium bicarbonate and antibiotics which may have changed his internal balances. As long as he is not sick, he should be getting back to normal internally. jmho as a beginner also.

on edit - listen to Angie more than me.

What I am wondering if you gave him the antibiotics and they cured some infection, but did not take care of the cause ~ for example, maybe something is lodged in his throat (this is just an example), and it created an infection. You cleared up the infection, but the problem is still present and will potentially (probably) re-present as infection. See? This one has been skipped for awhile which leads me to believe that no one really feels confident enough to guess, and neither do I. What did your vet say?

He was not vomiting when he was sick a couple weeks ago. The vet checked his mouth and throat real well when she was here. Nothing found there. He was only on antibiotics for 6 days and finished that a week ago. I'm thinking after reading some other things that I might have had him on Bicarb too long. So I won't be giving him that anymore. I will keep him on the Probose a little longer though. He hasn't thrown up all day, it's just at night or early morning.

Latest posts