Steer can't stand up...

Help Support CattleToday:

WYcowboy

Reaction score
Lately one of my 300lb steers has been acting lethargic and staying away from the herd. Well today i found him on his side and it's like he didn't have the energy to get his feet under him. When i walked up he started kicking around on his side but that's all he could do. I rolled him over so he got his legs under him and was laying down like he should. I gave him water, hay, and grain which he started eating as soon as i was some distance from him. His eyes are clear, and he's alert, but he can't stand up. If he does, he falls over off-balance. I noticed one of his back legs is swollen... Also he has these raw sore spots on his hide... It's not mites or anything like that... I think it may be some disease... I'm not sure though. :/ It's weird bc he is alert, doesn't act like he's hurting, and was keeping himself clean... If you have any ideas what the sore spots on him might be or why he doesn't have energy, that would awesome!

With his leg swollen could be blackleg. Has he been vaccinated for it? If not death is coming if it is blackleg. Call the vet!

Latest posts