Steak Experts??? Info added

Help Support CattleToday:

Jovid

Reaction score
For all you steak experts out there let me know what you think of the picture below.

As you can see it is still attached to the carcass and has not been trimmed.

This was a 14 month old steer that weighed 1,100 lbs when he was butchered.

He did grade high choice so now the questions is.

Was he black and would have qualified for CAB or was his hide a different color?

beef002.jpg

ga.prime":trrcnvj5 said:
3waycross":trrcnvj5 said:
?

Definately overqualified for CAB
Bullsheit.

You can't just call bullshyt. Back it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you know what the spec is for YG for CAB. It is 4 that alone makes that steer overqualified and the marbling is moderate to modest which makes it at least upper 2/3 choice. It for sure is not select.

maybe between modest and small, has a touch more than small but not enough for modest. Easier to tell without the glare.

RD-Sam":nxxmvrnk said:
http://www.angusmeats.com/wholesale/content.php?id=16

I'm no expert that is why I posted the quick and asked for input but based on this link I would say it looks like the one that says moderate.

3waycross":2leswh6f said:
ga.prime":2leswh6f said:
3waycross":2leswh6f said:
?

Definately overqualified for CAB
Bullsheit.

You can't just call bullshyt. Back it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you know what the spec is for YG for CAB. It is 4 that alone makes that steer overqualified and the marbling is moderate to modest which makes it at least upper 2/3 choice. It for sure is not select.

There is no such thing as being overqualified for CAB. The marbling has to be Modest (Average Choice) or higher. It used to be that YG had to be 3.9 or higher, but that has changed. The key words being or higher. Therefore a Prime YG 1 carcass would qualify for CAB.

Certified Angus Beef (CAB):

For a carcass to qualify for Certified Angus Beef, they must meet live specifications (no dairy influence, no Brahma influence, at least 50% black hided) and then they must meet some additional carcass specifications. The marbling must be at least Modest 0 (the top 2/3 of the Choice grade or higher) and must be fine and evenly distributed. Another way of stating the marbling requirements would be to say they must be Average Choice or above. Prime cattle are eligible for the CAB program. However, only 3 packing plants are selling CAB Prime as of April 2005. Getting back to CAB requirements, the cattle must be young and the meat must be a bright cherry red color. Formerly, CAB required carcasses to be USDA YG 1, 2 and 3; no 4's or 5's. As of October 2006, they have removed that requirement and replaced it with a Rib Eye Area requirement of 10-16 sq inches. This is an attempt to answer growing foodservice & retail concerns about the size of cuts. You don't want an 8 oz rib eye steak to be so thin you can't cook it properly and so big it leaves no other room on the plate! Finally, the grader will again look for muscle/fat patterns indicative of no Brahma or Dairy influence.

well you would have the best notion since you saw it in person, hard to tell unless you can shade it in person. The glare makes spots look marbled that arnt and vice versa. How long did you feed it?

Do you know what the spec is for YG for CAB. It is 4 that alone makes that steer overqualified and the marbling is moderate to modest which makes it at least upper 2/3 choice. It for sure is not select.[/quote]

There is no such thing as being overqualified for CAB. The marbling has to be Modest (Average Choice) or higher. It used to be that YG had to be 3.9 or higher, but that has changed. The key words being or higher. Therefore a Prime YG 1 carcass would qualify for CAB.

Certified Angus Beef (CAB):

For a carcass to qualify for Certified Angus Beef, they must meet live specifications (no dairy influence, no Brahma influence, at least 50% black hided) and then they must meet some additional carcass specifications. The marbling must be at least Modest 0 (the top 2/3 of the Choice grade or higher) and must be fine and evenly distributed. Another way of stating the marbling requirements would be to say they must be Average Choice or above. Prime cattle are eligible for the CAB program. However, only 3 packing plants are selling CAB Prime as of April 2005. Getting back to CAB requirements, the cattle must be young and the meat must be a bright cherry red color. Formerly, CAB required carcasses to be USDA YG 1, 2 and 3; no 4's or 5's. As of October 2006, they have removed that requirement and replaced it with a Rib Eye Area requirement of 10-16 sq inches. This is an attempt to answer growing foodservice & retail concerns about the size of cuts. You don't want an 8 oz rib eye steak to be so thin you can't cook it properly and so big it leaves no other room on the plate! Finally, the grader will again look for muscle/fat patterns indicative of no Brahma or Dairy influence.
[/quote]

So it appears it would qualify for CAB?

GRTiger85":7x2unp7j said:
well you would have the best notion since you saw it in person, hard to tell unless you can shade it in person. The glare makes spots look marbled that arnt and vice versa. How long did you feed it?

He was on a modified intake feed feed for 7 months since he was weaned. It is 14% protein 2% fat and 28% fiber. They eat it along with grass & hay. They will eat about 2-3 % of their body weight a day. As you can see it is good ration for not making them over fat.

I would say the marbling is acceptable, yet I've learned, it should be dry aged if you want a truly perfect steak.
Now I'm totally hungry for a big steak with a nice glass of red wine, too bad it's time for bed.
I'll have to indulge in that tomorrow. :pretty:

Jovid":3geg7t13 said:
RD-Sam":3geg7t13 said:

I'm no expert that is why I posted the quick and asked for input but based on this link I would say it looks like the one that says moderate.

I would say it's close, it would probably make CAB, as long as it's black. :lol2:

bretsam":jhpvhcqa said:
I've learned, it should be dry aged if you want a truly perfect steak.
:pretty:

Why do you say that. There a great many folks out there that cannot stand the taste of true dry aged meat. Wet age produces an exceptionally fine steak and without the underlying (liver) flavor.

3waycross":1cdvb8z1 said:
bretsam":1cdvb8z1 said:
I've learned, it should be dry aged if you want a truly perfect steak.
:pretty:

Why do you say that. There a great many folks out there that cannot stand the taste of true dry aged meat. Wet age produces an exceptionally fine steak and without the underlying (liver) flavor.

I totally dislike liver.. eeww.. yet I love a perfectly cooked steak!
Matter of opinion I guess! ;-)

Bretsam
When you say dry age steak. What method are you refering to?

BTW I love liver and onions. The taste of true dry aged beef gags me. It tastes rotten to me.

RD-Sam":qstwyb3i said:
Jovid":qstwyb3i said:
RD-Sam":qstwyb3i said:

I would say it's close, it would probably make CAB, as long as it's black. :lol2:

So if it's hide was black it would be CAB?

Latest posts