Any good info on how to take a crazy steer???

Help Support CattleToday:

"Most" cattle can be gentled and halter broke - but, this person does not sound very experienced - and I am going out on a limb and guessing this is for a 4-H project. As I said before, I would bet this calf will never be able to be broke good enough to be trusted with a junior.
BTW - I halter break 600# calves every year. We "try" to get our nursing heifers halter broke to "tie" but too many shows keeps us from accomplishing this, soooo - we halter break the remaining ones after weaning when we have finished show season.

Thank you everyone for giving me some fine advice that I outta listen to. Sending him to the sale barn seems just about the smartest thing to do. Never had a crazy steer before and haven't ever been seriously hurt. I may be considered a wuss in my family since they all stick to the old ways of handling stuff and if you can't do something right to get out of the way and leave. Once they notice that I'm not giving up or that I don't want to put the work forward and saving my dad future hospital bills they will understand. Once again thank you everyone!!

just need to find a better choice..younger is usually better...get one that isn't spooked so easy..youll now when ya pick one out..kinda like going to the pound for a dog..pick the curious one

dieselbeef said:
just need to find a better choice..younger is usually better...get one that isn't spooked so easy..youll now when ya pick one out..kinda like going to the pound for a dog..pick the curious one

Some just aren't wired right.
Had a really nice heifer loose it the other day and bought a ticket.

I can't understand why you're even thinking of messing with that calf. And the couple of folks here encouraging you to not give up have me flabbergasted. What's the point? A minor personal victory in life? You get hurt, or someone else does, and it will cost you way more than the loss you'll take at the sale barn. I'd get it gone. Figure out how to load him up (grain training works miracles) and take him in or get a mobile butcher out there and have yourself some hamburger.

Caustic Burno said:
dieselbeef said:

Some just aren't wired right.
Had a really nice heifer loose it the other day and bought a ticket.

What I hate is when the flip gets switched mid-stream. I had one that was really nice for 2 years and then one day just refused to get on the trailer. She gives a heck of a calf, the two she's given me, but I'm thinking it's not worth the hassle. She's a real pain in the butt.

I halter train a lot of calves. But if i don't start them early, it usually doesn't turn out so well. Not all are made equal. Some are easier than others and some will never come around. Some are just not friendly. I have one that is similar to yours. I tried to train him but he just didn't come around. I put him with my most friendly steer and now he is much better. But, i still dont trust him. Even though i raised him the exact same way i raised the others he is for whatever reason dangerous. So i sold him to a beef raiser...not worth the effort or the possible injury.

Holm25 I bought him from an Iowa breeder. The way he talked my father and I have come to a decision he probably still has one ball and we were lied to about some of the stuff that was said. Pretty sure the guy made some crap up to get the crazy thing gone. He has gotten better since he first got here but is still jumpy, I don't want to take him to a sale barn because I won't get crap for him. The breeder said he'd drive back down here with a trailer and another steer if I wanted to trade him out. The only reason I took the one I have is because the guy said he looked better, the other one is supposedly bigger and halter broke but doesn't look as good. I'm calling bs but I won't say names.

don't be scared ..call him out so nobody else gets burned.

he lied once..the next one wont be any better..sell it and cut yer losses and shop somewhere else..

once bitten twice shy

Sorry, I didn't realize this was YOUR project. Good luck on your decision.
Seller should stand by his program and replace it. If he is willing to swap it out at his expense, what do you have to lose. Some "time" is about all I would think. If you paid the price for a "show" steer, then you are definitely going to get killed at the sale barn. Even if the 2nd calf isn't as good looking, at least you will have a finished steer to sell next year if his temperament is better.

Ribelintomboy said:
Holm25 I bought him from an Iowa breeder. The way he talked my father and I have come to a decision he probably still has one ball and we were lied to about some of the stuff that was said. Pretty sure the guy made some crap up to get the crazy thing gone. He has gotten better since he first got here but is still jumpy, I don't want to take him to a sale barn because I won't get crap for him. The breeder said he'd drive back down here with a trailer and another steer if I wanted to trade him out. The only reason I took the one I have is because the guy said he looked better, the other one is supposedly bigger and halter broke but doesn't look as good. I'm calling bs but I won't say names.
So you didn't see this crazy steer before you bought him, and you are considering taking a swap out that you've never seen before either?!?! There are plenty of good steers out there and plenty of breeders who will bend over backward to help out youth, there is no reason to deal with sub par breeders/traders or sub par cattle. Ship the nut job, cut your losses and do some serious homework on who and what to look for in the future. Trust me, that steer doesn't care if he kills you and no steer is worth that risk.

Ribelintomboy said:

Trust your gut. I think part of the problem was you started off on the wrong foot having this steer in a wire pen. I would use panels on a hot one. Once they figure out they can get away from you if they work hard enough then they will work themselves up faster to get away.

We have had similar problems twice. One we bought off the ranch with dog gentle cow by side and he was a little spooky but warmed up by the time we left. The guy delivered him and he went batshit crazy being unloaded. We had panels set up but they weren't tied to the trailer so he flips the whole pen, went through a wood gate, a barb wire fence, then ran to the far end of our 50 acres until he stopped. He said he would give me a refund but we could never get him back up to the barn to load him (even with 4 people and 2 quads). We let him settle in with our cows until he was ready for eating but we had to shoot him at a distance.

The second time we bought a heifer from a local futurity auction. She was gentle, moved easy and never showed any signs of being nutty. We took her home and after a couple days realized she must have been on Ace. We tried working her for months before turning her out for the winter to get bred (and figured she could bond with our other cows). We worked with her for 3 month in the spring and took her to one show. Realized that nothing would work for her at the show. Calf calm, cruise control halter, strong 250 lbs man got dragged down the aisle when he took her to water the first day. They would not release us from the show because it wasn't due to medical reasons. We had to have 2 people (one halter on each side) to take her to and from water. I won't do that again. Only buy from breeders you trust.

Boot Jack Bulls said:
Ribelintomboy said:
So you didn't see this crazy steer before you bought him, and you are considering taking a swap out that you've never seen before either?!?! There are plenty of good steers out there and plenty of breeders who will bend over backward to help out youth, there is no reason to deal with sub par breeders/traders or sub par cattle. Ship the nut job, cut your losses and do some serious homework on who and what to look for in the future. Trust me, that steer doesn't care if he kills you and no steer is worth that risk.

That is what I think too. From what I gather the steer or stag or whatever it is was misrepresented and should never have been considered appropriate for a youth project. I would definitely not switch the calf out for the other one either. There should be plenty of reputable places to find a suitable.

Quote by TwoByrds: "Only buy from breeders you trust." This is sooooo important.
Another option, see if the breeder will reimburse you the different of the cost of the steer and the income from the sale barn. This would get your money back and save the seller from having to make a trip to your place. This is what I do if I ever sell something that is unacceptable once it arrives at the new buyers place - or take it back at full refund.

If your a vegan, or do not like the idea of eating the meat, then sell him to someone who wants him.

I have a heifer that kicks, she looks good, will prob make agood mother, so, if I want to keep her, I need to keep away from her roundhouse kick zone, simple as that, it is just her, a similar make up steer will let you do anything too him, but that wont change her.

If a sheep, I would prob say ok, but cattle just end up too big, often clumsy, and if they start running you down or stomping, or whatever, you will come off second best.

They also need to know your the boss, even my kung fu expert knows to move away when I am coming, if this animal is showing you at a young age that they wont be second to you, well, do you want to be arguing that one out ?

TwoByrdsMG said:
Ribelintomboy said:

Trust your gut. I think part of the problem was you started off on the wrong foot having this steer in a wire pen. I would use panels on a hot one. Once they figure out they can get away from you if they work hard enough then they will work themselves up faster to get away.

We have had similar problems twice. One we bought off the ranch with dog gentle cow by side and he was a little spooky but warmed up by the time we left. The guy delivered him and he went batshit crazy being unloaded. We had panels set up but they weren't tied to the trailer so he flips the whole pen, went through a wood gate, a barb wire fence, then ran to the far end of our 50 acres until he stopped. He said he would give me a refund but we could never get him back up to the barn to load him (even with 4 people and 2 quads). We let him settle in with our cows until he was ready for eating but we had to shoot him at a distance.

The second time we bought a heifer from a local futurity auction. She was gentle, moved easy and never showed any signs of being nutty. We took her home and after a couple days realized she must have been on Ace. We tried working her for months before turning her out for the winter to get bred (and figured she could bond with our other cows). We worked with her for 3 month in the spring and took her to one show. Realized that nothing would work for her at the show. Calf calm, cruise control halter, strong 250 lbs man got dragged down the aisle when he took her to water the first day. They would not release us from the show because it wasn't due to medical reasons. We had to have 2 people (one halter on each side) to take her to and from water. I won't do that again. Only buy from breeders you trust.

lol...shoot him from a distance...classic...you should have charged them an agistment fee and any damages...lol

I am not sure about buying from trusted people, for a few reasons, but a lot of cattle (and sheep, or any livestock) people seem right up there with used car sales IMO :)

The second reason is, I just remembered a bull the family was going to sell, was very quiet and gentle, anyway, once loaded onto truck, went ape, they just were hoping the crate would not come apart, it was sionara for him, not sure what happened after. I will have to ask in the holidays.

If he lets you put a halter on him without being in a chute and only walks away from you, he is not that wild. He's definitely not something you should try showing, but he'll feed out just fine with no worries of being a dark cutter.

I can't get within 10 feet of any of my cattle without them walking away, and if any of them are penned up in a small area by themselves I wouldn't dare go in the pen with them. Yours' sounds like the majority of cattle raised without a lot of human interaction. The one thing that does make me wonder though is your statement about him charging at you while on the other side of the fence. If that is while he's in a small confined area, it isn't that unusual, but if it is in a big pen where he has an opportunity to run away but instead comes at you, then I would agree he is wild.

You can't fix crazy! Livestock projects are great learning experiences, I hate that what your learning with this one is that sometimes you need to cut your losses, it isn't worth getting injured.

Gizmom

Latest posts