Added a Heifer Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Very nice lookin dude. Little too straight in the rear legs, and breaks a bit on topline. Should calve pretty easy with that smaller head, and smoother shoulders.

Nice bull, very square and looks to have good hormone production so should be a good worker. Cameras can give that straight leg look so hard to tell but he sure does stride out nicely. I'd be happy to have him in my paddock.

He has that heifer bull look.

The good full flecks I've been watching have went for between the cost of a new pickup truck and a good quarter section. Nice buy.

Fleckvieh and Fleckvieh influenced cattle are hot now. Every sale has a few pass this year because of drought but the Fullbloods are going for crazy money. Black baldy Simmentals are hot too. Have watched a few sakes where they bring two in the ring together. The better solid black passes or brings a lot less than the baldy.

Looks like he hasnt missed a meal.
As far as the CE EPD, I've been using DNA through Neogen Beef panel to have some relatable number for my breeds that don't really have any EPDs that can be tied to more known data set. I'm still not sure if the Neogen test is too Angus specific but it's better than just an eyeball guess to me.
Where is this bull coming from?

Looks like he hasnt missed a meal.
As far as the CE EPD, I've been using DNA through Neogen Beef panel to have some relatable number for my breeds that don't really have any EPDs that can be tied to more known data set. I'm still not sure if the Neogen test is too Angus specific but it's better than just an eyeball guess to me.
Where is this bull coming from?
He is a locally raised bull. He may never have missed a meal but was never pushed. Maxed out at 8 lbs. of grain per day. The guy that sold him had kept all of his heifers last fall with the plan to sell them as breds this fall. He figured the grass market was too good to pass up so sold a bunch and no longer had a requirement for this bull.

He is a locally raised bull. He may never have missed a meal but was never pushed. Maxed out at 8 lbs. of grain per day. The guy that sold him had kept all of his heifers last fall with the plan to sell them as breds this fall. He figured the grass market was too good to pass up so sold a bunch and no longer had a requirement for this bull.
So he's a proven heifer bull. Nice! He looks pretty young, must have been a true yearling when he was turned out.

As long as you are feeding you calves similarly to the way the bull was raised, that works. Some folks buy a feedlot fed bull for a grass/hay-only operation and think their calves will look like the bull.

As long as you are feeding you calves similarly to the way the bull was raised, that works. Some folks buy a feedlot fed bull for a grass/hay-only operation and think their calves will look like the bull.
Yep, we are a grass hay operation and I do expect his calves to look like him.

Latest posts