Starving for Fuel- white smoke and power loss

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5

Reaction score
AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
A month or so ago The new tractor I bought had a power loss and puffing white smoke. I spoke with a couple of mechanics and searched on line and it was eluded too that the problem was in fuel system. I drained the water separator on filter and the problem stopped until this week. My neighbor came to borrow the tractor and called me with the tractor was blowing white smoke and would not get above 1000rpm. when I got in I went to his place to figure it out and there were excessive bubbles in the clear inline filter , I changed both filters and did not correct the issue. I did notice the fuel line had was not as tight on the barb as I like and had taken the barb shape. I had intentions to replace the line but the dealer did not have the line nor the pickup tube in stock yesterday. I went to auto parts got new line and new clamps. When I got home I decided I would first blow back thru the line and remove an 1" or 2 of old line and try that before I started replacing things. This cured it and tractor had no air in filter and running like it should. I believe there was an obstruction in the pick up tube that caused the pump to find some where to suck air. I can only assume the PO had trash or debris enter the tank because he has only filled the tractor with jugs all of its life. I will drain and flush tank when it get down to 4 or 5 gal. Maybe this will help someone else if they run into a similar situation in the future.

How old is the tractor? Has it been sitting? When I bought my NH the tank had black algae in it the dealer had to clean the tank and gave me a box of filters.
Algae is a problem here especially if you leave the tanks less than full for a period like on the lot.
Everybody around here uses a diesel algacide in there bulk tanks.

I think that may be an issue CB the inline filter was very dirty. The tractor is a 04-05 model - If you take the hours on it and vs the age it was only used 100 hrs a yr. will the algaecide eliminate the algae ??

M-5":21w7vp89 said:
I think that may be an issue CB the inline filter was very dirty. The tractor is a 04-05 model - If you take the hours on it and vs the age it was only used 100 hrs a yr. will the algaecide eliminate the algae ??
Yes but you better have plenty of filters on hand it gave me fits on my Massey
Finally pulled the tank cleaned it and blew out the fuel lines still went through a couple of fuel filters after that.
I religiously keep Power Service diesel clean the green bottle in my bulk tank now. I shouldn't say this haven't had a problem since.

Just had the problem with the in tank filter on my Massey.
Now my 4020 is giving a similar problem. As long as I keep the tank good and full no problem. Get down around a quarter tank and it will start losing power, and bubbles start showing up in the filter. Going to have to get into it and see what's going on

We fought something similiar with neighbors tl-90 last spring. Tractor would work well for about 30-40 minutes, then lose power and finally quit. Replaced filters, cleared tubing, etc, etc. There was also a screen on pump to filter debris. Pulled some junk out of there.

Fence, does your Massey have a lift pump?

Your symptoms sounds like what happens when the lift pump isn't working. You have the tank full and enough pressure for the engine to run, but as the fuel level drops you loose pressure (from gravity).

I have a 40HP Ditch Witch trencher, and it would do that. It was gravity feed. I added a 20 dollar, 3PSI fuel pump into the system and it's ran fine since. It is a Continental gas engine, but the same happens to diesel.

D2Cat":202455ka said:
Fence, does your Massey have a lift pump?

Your symptoms sounds like what happens when the lift pump isn't working. You have the tank full and enough pressure for the engine to run, but as the fuel level drops you loose pressure (from gravity).

I have a 40HP Ditch Witch trencher, and it would do that. It was gravity feed. I added a 20 dollar, 3PSI fuel pump into the system and it's ran fine since. It is a Continental gas engine, but the same happens to diesel.
Massey is fixed ,dirty sock filter in tank.

Jd4020 I'm dealing with now but yes it has a lift pump. I'll look into it thanks.

M-5":h627zugv said:
I drained the tank yesterday and not alot of algae but did get some out , the new filter has some in it already also.
It sticks to the tank walls the stuff you got it what breaks free it is a real pain to get a fuel system cleaned up from the stuff.

M-5,

I was coming to this forum today to ask assistance with this exact issue that I experienced with my tractor over the weekend. Thank you for the initial post. This gives me some things to check into.

Latest posts