Starving calves

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I asked a couple of weeks ago about two calves I lost. Today I found another one, this time an angus, in almost the same condition, somewhat weak and unable to get up. I thought it had been stepped on while the cows were trying to stay warm. The vet came out and had barely walked up to it and just said "This calf is starving to death."

My question is, how do you know that a calf is starving to death when it looks like it is healthy? The calve was born in April and her mother died in Sept.

[email protected]

I think it would be impossible for a starving calf to look healthy. Also, if you are feeding them what they should be getting, then it would be impossible for them to be starving unless you noticed that they weren't eating.

Call your vet and ask them to specifically tell you what it was about the calf that made them say "starvation". Ask them to point out to you which bones should be sticking out and which ones shouldn't. Ask them to point out what other signs to look for. Poorly fed calves can get potbellies. That may have thrown you off, but a healthy well-fed calf shouldn't be all potbelly.

Ask the vet to help you figure out what to feed them, or else ask the feed store. Start feeding them. Did this calf get any other feed after it's mom died? What are you feeding any of them?

I am trying real hard not to sound too harsh, but ignorance can be just as cruel as someone who intentionally mistreats their animals. You need to get better informed about caring for cattle if you want to have them.

[email protected]

> I think it would be impossible for
> a starving calf to look healthy.
> Also, if you are feeding them what
> they should be getting, then it
> would be impossible for them to be
> starving unless you noticed that
> they weren't eating.

> Call your vet and ask them to
> specifically tell you what it was
> about the calf that made them say
> "starvation". Ask them
> to point out to you which bones
> should be sticking out and which
> ones shouldn't. Ask them to point
> out what other signs to look for.
> Poorly fed calves can get
> potbellies. That may have thrown
> you off, but a healthy well-fed
> calf shouldn't be all potbelly.

> Ask the vet to help you figure out
> what to feed them, or else ask the
> feed store. Start feeding them.
> Did this calf get any other feed
> after it's mom died? What are you
> feeding any of them?

> I am trying real hard not to sound
> too harsh, but ignorance can be
> just as cruel as someone who
> intentionally mistreats their
> animals. You need to get better
> informed about caring for cattle
> if you want to have them.

You don't sound too harsh - if I didn't want answers and questions then I wouldn't ask for advise. I have talked to a few who are more experienced and they told me even though the calves were eating hay regularly, they needed more nutritional substances. So now they have mineral blocks, protein buckets and medicated creep feed to go with the hay. Any other suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

[email protected]

Latest posts