starting a young pup

Help Support CattleToday:

BettyLandercasper

Reaction score
we have a new English Shepherd about 4 mos. It has plenty of instinct and power. Would like some tips on how to get the pup to chill around the cattle. I don't want it doing "herding" until I get a handle on him, the pup seems to have so much power that the cattle are freaking out, makes it a little dangerous. My cattle are tame (OR THEY WERE!)
Thanks

I would work on basic obedience right now. Sit, lay down, stay, come and heel.
Work it on a leash when you are around the cattle. Get the dog listening to you first.
Congrats on the new pup.

I hope that you know. . .
b3r02r.gif

:D

I think you were given some good information. I don't really start working my dogs until they are
about a year old. With that said, I do haul pups with me from a very early age. I don't let them off
a rope until I can trust in their recall. My older dogs are loose around my stock whenever I am
there because they have earned the trust.

I would also never pen a young dog where they can see stock. It sure can create some bad habits.

Lane

I gotta 4 month old red heeler, that I am now training. I have ONLY taken her around my cattle a few times. She has alot to learn before I turn her loose around em. Not that I am afraid of her stirring up my cattle, but I want her around to last a few years so she CAN work them.
I would say if you are going to take your dog around them at the age it is, then use a leash and limit the time. Gotta be very firm with the aggressive types. They need to know who is boss.

BettyLandercasper":3qz5vbzd said:
we have a new English Shepherd about 4 mos. It has plenty of instinct and power. Would like some tips on how to get the pup to chill around the cattle. I don't want it doing "herding" until I get a handle on him, the pup seems to have so much power that the cattle are freaking out, makes it a little dangerous. My cattle are tame (OR THEY WERE!)
Thanks

All good advice from others.

While many might not do it our way, this is what wife does. And - will do again as the newest Border Collie is about to hit the ground in early September. I am sure the others will agree with many of my additional comments.

Our new dogs will never work the cows and sheep until they become a "one man" or perhaps I should say in this case a "one woman dog". It will be velcro'd to her until it mirrors her every move.

Wife goes anywhere, she takes the dog with her - town, field, photo shoots - you name it. It rides right up front with her. It needs to be a good herd dog everywhere and anywhere - and it might just happen in a place that spooks the dog - so it needs to be happy anywhere as long as the person running the dog is around. That worldly experience has prevented a lot of mishaps in our past with dogs and roads and trucks and people and noise and new smells and sale barn escapes and whatever else you can think of. It might not only be working animals on the home place.

Also - Before the training on animals starts - It will have mastered the come, heel, sit, stay, down and so on - especially the rule of "not everything is to be chased!" - to the point it will do this out to her maximum voice range. Whistle work does not happen until the dog is quite mature and trustworthy - sometimes it is delayed until about 18 - 20 months of age.

Mind you with many Border Collies you lock them in a room for about three days with food and water - and throw in the Encyclopaedia Britannica - when you let the dog out they are usually smarter than you and your neighbour combined (just joking - a dew worm is smarter than my neighbour)

Keep it away from the animals until it listens to you - unless you want a wreck - bad habits come easy (really easy) and are a bear to break. Use a leash to keep it under control if you want to go visit the animals and are planning to take your dog along as a pup or "teenager" with too much pee and vinegar in it to keep it under control.

Your dog can hurt something and believe me - some animals might hurt your dog if you and/or the dog are not ready - no need to push it - and make everything fun. Wrecks are not fun. And in truth, while they might happen because of dog/animal interaction - it is often the handler or trainer that is to blame for the wreck when it does happen.

Trust me; they learn real fast if you do the above things - I have seen it myself.

Make everything you do fun and do not be too tough on the discipline - just be sure it minds you well.

And finally - patience, patience - have fun doing this - you get a good dog you will never want to go back to herding the old way again! Partner for life!

And a more forgiving partner you will never find - as an example - go ahead and lock your wife and the dog in the trunk of the car for an hour. Then go let them out. Guess which one is happy to see you? And which one wants to perhaps hurt you? LOL (and ducking!)

OK - this is what we do with our dogs - you will do what you want with yours - but it is pretty tried and true here.

And finally .....

Just be aware that working dogs are not all created equal - even within the breed. Some will do it and do it well. Some will not. If you want a pet then all is good - you will soon see how good the dog is around animals - but a working dog will not be your priority - and all is good

If you want a working dog and it does not work out - then find this one a new home and start again - and do not let sentimentality (if that is a word) get in the way.

A working dog can usually be a pet - but very often a pet cannot be a working dog. Yes, there is a difference. Know it ahead of time and you will not be in for a disappointment. And do not rush your dog into maturity - sometimes they can take up to two years or more to become a young adult.

Send pics when you can - love to see this pup in action!

Best to you and good luck to you AND the dog!

Bez

Bez,
That is excellent advice. Sounds like you really know how to train a working dog.

Limomike":1yhiil0m said:
Bez,
That is excellent advice. Sounds like you really know how to train a working dog.

Thanks

Actually I have watched the best do it for almost 35 years.

Wife has the patience of Job and the instinct for what will work and what will not work.

I could not do it - no patience.

Me? I just do as I am told.

Cheers

Bez

A working dog can usually be a pet - but very often a pet cannot be a working dog.

This is very true. My grandfather raised English Setters. They were working dogs - hunting and field trials. When I was little I used to go with him to work them. They were all business and not treated like a pet. They were treated well and rewarded for a job well done, but they were not "loved on." He was nominated to the Pointer/Setter Hall of Fame at the Bird Dog Foundation in 1967. It was sad because he passed away shortly before receiving the honor.

good luck with your pup!

Latest posts