Starting a new business

Help Support CattleToday:

Doesn't take long to lose the "peace and quiet", and privacy that we all really appreciate about living out here by ourselves, if the back country is getting overrun by campers and Abnb's. That said, we've got a second farm with an old farmhouse on it that we've considered doing the same with... I've got mixed feelings about it... but like most, in the end, you gotta make that property pay for itself somehow too, and so the dollar wins out in a lot of cases.
That's where we're at. We have a somewhat inconvenient situation, in which we have two homes literally across the driveway from each other. My wife and I live in a house that was remodeled from what was originally a two story garage/workshop. The house my parents built is right in front of it. It's setting is such that we can't very well split it off and sell it, so the other option is to rent it. I don't really enjoy the thought of having long term renters in that house, so the short term rental concept is much more appealing to me.

We have considered this.... tried to weigh the pro and cons. We had someone wanting to give us a free mobile home. We have a lot close by a lake with lake access would be okay for fisherman nothing fancy. Than it boiled down to somebody would have to clean the place.... I'm not looking for a job. I have 2 bosses 3 and 5 full time job no weekends, holidays off, overtime, and nights. Bahahahahaha. We also consider another location we could do for hunting. I agree it would make money. Just not wanting to invent more jobs and work right now.

I've noticed lots of farmers have rental houses. Any advice on this?

We have considered this.... tried to weigh the pro and cons. We had someone wanting to give us a free mobile home. We have a lot close by a lake with lake access would be okay for fisherman nothing fancy. Than it boiled down to somebody would have to clean the place.... I'm not looking for a job. I have 2 bosses 3 and 5 full time job no weekends, holidays off, overtime, and nights. Bahahahahaha. We also consider another location we could do for hunting. I agree it would make money. Just not wanting to invent more jobs and work right now.

I've noticed lots of farmers have rental houses. Any advice on this?
Our rental houses are both on our farm properties. We have one old house that we rent out as a traditional hopefully long term rental. We had good renters in it for 7 years. Still have a good relationship with them they bought a house is why they moved. Some folks we kind of knew moved in after that for a year. That situation didn't work out, and we have just rented it out again. Hoping that will be a good fit. My advice would be to be real careful about who you rent the house too. With the right situations rental properties can be good investments. I really wish that I had of invested in some other rental properties over the years instead of some of the things I did which either didn't end well or were a wash.

I watch a YouTube channel where the wife inherited a large cattle ranch. Part of the property extends across the road and has another house on it. He fixed the old house up and put in RV infrastructure. The main part of his channel is a working cattle ranch, and he will occasionally mention the house and RV hookups. He doesn't often talk about it but in his videos you can see different vehicles at those spots, so I figure he is busy enough. Sometimes he will have a customer that wants to offer some free labor feeding and stuff.

Is this going to hurt the hotel/motel industry? How much more growth is out there?

When we were 23 wife and I bought a building in a town of 6,000 for a business for her. Building also had 3 rental offices. Few years later we bought a 4-plex in another small town (that had a power plant nearby). Then bought 50 acres of farm ground with no house, just barn. Eventually acquired two more houses.

I get a kick out of people who say they couldn't own rental property and put up with those people. I've been self employed except for about 9-10 years of my life, and working in a factory, office, warehouse or anyplace where you have to show up on time, eat at a certain time, be back at a certain time to get a break again.... I can't see where that's better!

I have rent houses and have considered going the Airbnb route myself. I've also got a piece of land away from my home place that has a nice spring fed pond back in the woods that I've thought about putting RV sites on. People could bring their kids and pond fish and if you kept it stocked and the fish fed I think kids would enjoy that, most places around us that have RV sites are on the lake and it's not really a good place to get kids into fishing. We're in a tourists area with a large lake ( greers Ferry lake) nearby and also have the little red river nearby for trout fishing. I've even seen advertisements on airbnb for old school buses fixed up to camp in on a farm for around $100/night.
Is that what is going on the North side of I40 just as you cross the Mississippi river bridge heading East ? There is alot of school buses, travel trailers etc.... set up there.

We stayed in one last September while seeing the sights in Montana and Wyoming. I am guessing it was 10 x 20. Rented for $110 a night and was booked up nearly solid.

Attachments

• P9231654.JPG
    P9231654.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 15
  • P9231656.JPG
    P9231656.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 15
  • P9231657.JPG
    P9231657.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 15
Ever since that stay we have discussed the idea of building a couple cabins here. I am sure It would pay. Power is right there. There is a spring that would provide enough water, although I am sure a person would need to install some sort of filter system. The road in front doesn't average much more than one car per hour. It is about 5 miles from the exit on the interstate. Down sides are dust from that road and there are rattle snakes. Wouldn't be able to have much of a lawn area around the cabins. And at 69 and 68 do we want to take on a project like this.
First picture is the site of the woould be cabins. About where that big juniper center left is at. Spring is at the far right in this picture. The other two are what the view would be. Only house in site would be our place about 600 yards away.

Attachments

• P3152405.JPG
    P3152405.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 4
  • P3152406.JPG
    P3152406.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 4
  • P3152407.JPG
    P3152407.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 4
We stayed in one last September while seeing the sights in Montana and Wyoming. I am guessing it was 10 x 20. Rented for $110 a night and was booked up nearly solid.
What were some of the sights you saw in Wyoming and Montana.

The last few years we have vacationed in and around Colorado. Never get tired of tired of seeing that country. But have wanted to try some place new.

Ever since that stay we have discussed the idea of building a couple cabins here. I am sure It would pay. Power is right there. There is a spring that would provide enough water, although I am sure a person would need to install some sort of filter system. The road in front doesn't average much more than one car per hour. It is about 5 miles from the exit on the interstate. Down sides are dust from that road and there are rattle snakes. Wouldn't be able to have much of a lawn area around the cabins. And at 69 and 68 do we want to take on a project like this.
First picture is the site of the woould be cabins. About where that big juniper center left is at. Spring is at the far right in this picture. The other two are what the view would be. Only house in site would be our place about 600 yards away.
I am just thinking out loud here and probably won't be much help. Something I would consider is what would attract people to your location ? I can tell it is beautiful country from the photos. But outside of that what else or why would someone want to spend time there ? And just out of curiosity what kind of rattle snakes ?

Dave, that is beautiful country. You could always build a couple of cabins and advertise for a rattle snake hunt to reduce the population. Being out in the open you don't need other attractions for people these days. They just want away from city life and others.

But if you're not up to it, that's understandable.

Dave, If I rent it what is your eviction policy when I refuse to leave?😎

Bet you would stay filled up more than your empty. The nice thing with AirBNB is the guests get a ranking if they have been a guest before and you get a rating as a host. It helps filter out some of the rifraff. We stayed in one in January visiting my son in Savannah GA and it was great.

Dave, that is beautiful country. You could always build a couple of cabins and advertise for a rattle snake hunt to reduce the population. Being out in the open you don't need other attractions for people these days. They just want away from city life and others.

But if you're not up to it, that's understandable.
I agree you don't have to have other attractions. I would say that alot of people look for attractions to go see to and from their destinations. Anyway i do. I don't think all thoes $ 100k motor homes owners pay that kind of money just to go see pretty scenery only. Reminds me of the San Louis Valley in Colorado with the Rio Grand mountain range on the West Side of the valley and Blood Mountain range on the East side of the valley. Very pretty sencery but not something I would drive a thousand miles to see by itself.

There are still all kinds of destinations out in the country to go see. But alot of people aren't just looking for a place out in the boon docks to roost for a few days. Exspeally if they are going to travel a 1000 miles or more to get there. If they travel less than a 1000 miles they are pretty much familiar with what is in the area. Really not going to have much reason to want to travel that far to see a pretty location.

If you live in that location to begin with why would you want to pay to stay where you live at ?

There is a wide spot up the road a mile or so past our place. It is the community swimming hole. The only place deep enough in the river to swim in. During the summer there are people camping there nearly every day. Some stay several days, some just the night. Most have out of state plates. I have no idea how they find this spot.
There is no huge population of snakes but they are out there. Probably average 2 a year get killed on the road at that location. They are those smaller western rattlers. Most are under 30 inches. One over 36 inches is considered big. Over 40 inches are real rare and considered huge.
We are about half way between Portland and Salt Lake. I think mostly a person would get travelers who want a break and would prefer to do it in a peaceful rural setting. The Oregon trail went through here. Over in Baker there is the National Historical Oregon Trail Interpretive Center. Lot of old history here related to the trail and the gold rush of the 1860's. All close enough to use this site as base to explore from.

What were some of the sights you saw in Wyoming and Montana.

The last few years we have vacationed in and around Colorado. Never get tired of tired of seeing that country. But have wanted to try some place new.
We went to Yellowstone, Cody, Wyo, the Little Bighorn Battle field, Virginia City and lots of lesser know sites in between. The cabin was in Fishtail Montana. That is just east of Red Lodge. It made a good base for our exploring. I had been all over that country a number of times over the years. The wife had never been to that part of the world.

We went to Yellowstone, Cody, Wyo, the Little Bighorn Battle field, Virginia City and lots of lesser know sites in between. The cabin was in Fishtail Montana. That is just east of Red Lodge. It made a good base for our exploring. I had been all over that country a number of times over the years. The wife had never been to that part of the world.
Thoes kind of lesser sights are what I like seeing the most it seems like. They are like hidden gems. I like National parks too except the crowd's is what i don't like about them.

Yellow stone I hear is really something to see. I hear also it is really packed with turoist. More turoist there than most others from what i understand.

We went to massiverdi national park ( probably spelt it wrong ) but out side of all the turoist I was glad we went to see it. It was about the Hopi Indian cliff dwellings. Really interesting.

Another National Park in Colorado called the Great Sand dunes located in the San Louis Valley was great too.

Black Canyon near Montrose was really something. Don't think it was a National Park but was just as nice as anything else.

There were alot of lesser sights that I enjoyed as much if not more than the national parks. What I was calling hidden gems. Like near Fulton New Mexico their is a volcano. It's I think a National monument instead of a park. I drove by it and didn't know it was there.

Then we stopped at a state road side rest area in the pan handle of Oklahoma that was I thought very interesting. We stopped about an hour before the sun had started to set.

Where you pulled off the high way there was some bulliten board's under like a pavillian that had a map of the rest area.

Didn't realize until I was looking at the map the main part of the rest area that had the rest rooms was located a little futher off the highway down a little access road.

The wife had already read the map and walked to the rest rooms. When i read caution signs saying stay on the trails, stay on the side walks, watch for rattle snakes !!! Lol !!! I thought boy I better catch up with the wife before she gets snake bit !!! There isn't much telling how much of a fine I would have got for every rattle snake that would have died if it had of bit her.

So luckily I caught up with her before anything like that happened and explained to her about staying on the trails before she got snake bit.

That little place was called glass mountain near I think Edmond Oklahoma.

Thoes little hiddie holes are are pretty good sights to see in them selfs if you happen onto them in my opinion.

Latest posts