Help Support CattleToday:

bward

Reaction score
DSC01484.jpg

DSC01480.jpg

DSC01482.jpg

DSC01483.jpg

DSC01486.jpg

The stackliner has got to be 30 years old. It does'nt get much use cause we only put up a small amount of squares. But before the advent of round bales it was all done in squares. Talk about back breaking work feeding cows by loading squares by hand.

We got that one field done and then the rain came. They are calling for more rain today and possibly more during the week. The day before yesterday the forecast was for dry and sunny through the next two weeks. go figure

Alberta does have a wonderful hay crop this year. We were like Texas not that long ago.... I know your pain very well.

We did all extruded cubes and square bales. Bad enough feeding squares, but stacking them on the trailer in the field by hand was a killer.

dun

were the round bales going to be wrapped or is that how green your hay is? It might be just the picture too.

Can you drive those stackers on the road do they go fast enough?

No wrap, thats how green they are.... took a pic so I can remember that they were once green.

That stackliner goes about 30-35 mph down the road loaded. I imagine the newer ones are faster.

Hey this reminds me of a story. It happened many years ago with this stackliner. I was square baling and hubby was pickin bales with the liner. He was zooming back and forth and we would give smiles and love waves to each other. It was slow going for me, and I finally reached the end of the field, and turned around. I looked at the sight before me and could not believe what my eyes were seeing. The stackliner half loaded was going askew heading straight for the cooley and then I saw hubby running full bore after it, legs and arms just a windmilling. " What the Heck is he trying to do now?"

I watched in awe and in slow motion as the stackliner dove into the cooley and out of view. A split second later, 2 dozen bales of hay shot up into the air, and again disappeared out of view. Hubby was still running after it and he also disappeared into the cooley.

I stopped my baling and zoomed over there to see the pickup of the stackliner buried into the opposite side of the cooley. Some of the metal up front had been bent back, but for the most part it was largley undamaged. It did need some repairs before it was usable again.

Apparantly what had happened was Hubby stopped and got out to turn a bale, and while he was doing that he heard a clunk. That was the emergency brake releasing itself, and off it went. I am grateful to this day that he never managed to get close enough to catch it. One trip and he would be squashed.
I laugh now but it was scary at the time.

I was telling my wife the other night that when i was a boy. My brother plus a friend of mine and myself use to haul hay for ten cents a bail using our own truck and trailer. Now that was ten cents a bail for the three of us to split after we took out the money to pay for gas it took to haul the hay. This was in the early 70's.

We now pay a friend of ours 15 year old boy and one of his friends fifty cents a bail to haul our square bails and we furnish the truck trailer & gas. But that is fifty cents a bail well spent for no more than we have to put up. We only put up about 400 square bails.

The last hay i hauled when i was a kid we were getting fifteen cents a bail That was like in 1976 or 77. And we would haul hay all summer. It was a heck of a way to earn a little money.

Haying was good way for boys to make spending money in the summer. Always had boys asking if I needed help in the hay. Now you can't find anyone who will work in the hay. Times are changing.

rkm":2tjhzmuq said:
Haying was good way for boys to make spending money in the summer. Always had boys asking if I needed help in the hay. Now you can't find anyone who will work in the hay. Times are changing.

I have 3 younger sisters. Dad always said the best way to tell if a boy was worth keeping around was if he was willing to go all day with the old man putting up hay. 1500 squares a day was an ok day for Dad. The fellers that wouldn't come back to help the next day was not allowed to take us out the next night.

Great pictures bward!

rkm":wk50qpc9 said:

Now it's hard to find anyone who is even willing to work, be it hay or whatever. Cert's, I think your Dad is a very wise man. ;-) :)

I wonder how many sq bales I've handled :shock:
I actually enjoyed it, but I could never do the one man operation I do now with the little squares. :)

mnmt

We used to haul hay all summer when we were kids. I hated it. Sure didn't enjoy it. People say,"thank God for round bales." I said that when we stopped using a wire baler. They would kill your hands and they always seemed to weigh 135lb a bale. You are right about getting kids to work in hay now a days. We took up about 1000 bales last week. Had a hard time finding help.

When I was about six, granddaddy sat me down and told me he knew I had been wanting a knife. He said he thought I was old enough to have one and asked if I thought I was too. I wholeheartedly agreed that I was. He pulled out a little box and gave it to me. Inside was a Barlow knife just like he had. I was on cloud nine. He then said if you old enough to have a knife your old enough to bale hay with me. I became the string cutter and have been working ever since. :lol:

Latest posts