Square Bale Feeder

Help Support CattleToday:

Large square or the old standard bales?

The hay cradles built out of the trampoline frames would support a large square.

For the small ones, just buy them at the equipment auctions. Most of them just go for scrap metal prices these days.

Thanks for the reply bhb. I feed the small squares. I have been trying to come up with a good plan to use up some of my scrap lumber and make a good feeder. I am currently using an old rubbermaid water tank, that I took off my brothers junk pile. (It was split, so I drilled holes in the bottom for drainage and then fixed the split with holes on each side then used nylon rope to lace it together :oops: , I know but it worked for a while) It won't last too much longer and was hoping someone had an idea on how to build something that works for them that I might copy.

edit: okay, I'll give you a giggle. Here is what I have been using. You can't really make out all of my "handywork" but it won't last much longer as they have added about 3 more splits.
PGgirls_1-08.jpg

When we fed squares I made a fencline feeder that was 2 2X4s top and bottom with 2X4 Vs from the top to the bottom then finished off the part below the V with planks. Left about 2 foot wide area at the bottom and built up a sloping wall on the outside out of shiplap.

dun":2x8a6tvp said:
When we fed squares I made a fencline feeder that was 2 2X4s top and bottom with 2X4 Vs from the top to the bottom then finished off the part below the V with planks. Left about 2 foot wide area at the bottom and built up a sloping wall on the outside out of shiplap.
Sounjds like this one http://www.ag.ndsu.nodak.edu/abeng/plans/5377.pdf

novatech":1obdzdld said:
dun":1obdzdld said:
Sounjds like this one http://www.ag.ndsu.nodak.edu/abeng/plans/5377.pdf

Nope, mine the cows stuck ther heads in through the V and the bottom was the ground on the other side. The bottom of the V was about 18 inches above the ground.

Caustic Burno":2xhihw87 said:
While we are on bale feeders this is one we built for round bales saves lots of hay.
PICT0012.jpg

I like that! Both the son and son-in-law are welders..... Hum, need to get the boys to go thru their stock and see what they can come up with.

CKC1586":o9y6i31r said:
I like that! Both the son and son-in-law are welders..... Hum, need to get the boys to go thru their stock and see what they can come up with.

I've said this before so if you've heard it, just go on to the next post.

Cuastic's plan does indeed save me a lot of hay. It left me beholding to him. He saved me a lot of nickels.

I took that idea of Caustic's and used an old trampoline frame. Made two of them - portable. Then folks started giving me trampoline frames. It seems a new trampoline mat costs about $165 and you get can a whole new trampoline for about $200 at Sam's. Folks just buy new trampolines. I have made several. If your son is a welder, put him on it. It will cost you rod, a piece of cow panel, and if you use scrap like I did, that's it. One bale feeding will save enough to buy a lot of material.

The trampoline legs are skidded (U shaped). Use two of them for the upright with a piece of angle across. Lay the bows across the center just like CB did. Gussets to the corners and CB told me to add gussets to the center. It was a good idea.

One person can load them in a pick-up. They are that light. They will hold a round bale and a half. I haven't put any more load than that on one.

The big thing is the hay savings. My hay waste percentage was cut versus the rings I was using. The rings let hay touch the gound even if you put a pallet in the center of them. Once the cows eat the rounds down, they push the rings off of the bale, lay in it, poop in it, tramp it down into the ground or mud. None of that happens with the cradles. If they push on them, they just slide.

When hay prices are sky high, these are significant savings. You can place squares in them if you use the cow panel in the bottom of the cradel.

Edit: here is a pic of the first one I built. Lots of pms came from others who have done this http://cattletoday.com/photos/showphoto ... puser=3162

The one in pic you need the tractor to skid it over, it was built to hod two 5x5's.
There are three of us that have went to using them here the hay savings is amazing.
The benefit of the heavy one is they can't move it, any hay that falls under they eat it as well as it hasn't been walked pooped or peed on. The disadvantage is it is heavy and you have to have the tractor to skid it over if a spot starts getting muddy.

Caustic Burno":1rx06f9j said:
The disadvantage is it is heavy and you have to have the tractor to skid it over if a spot starts getting muddy.

If I didn't use the tampoline frames, I'd go and buy the material to build ones like you built CB. Savings would pay for the material in no time. I am beholding to you.

backhoeboogie":llgu67ik said:
Caustic Burno":llgu67ik said:
The disadvantage is it is heavy and you have to have the tractor to skid it over if a spot starts getting muddy.

If I didn't use the tampoline frames, I'd go and buy the material to build ones like you built CB. Savings would pay for the material in no time. I am beholding to you.

No your not, glad I could help. Several of us got together because of a drought we had here and said we have to come up with a way to save hay. I started out using log skidder tires then a neighbor saw a square bale feeder for horses somewhere. We all got in the shop one cold rainy night and drew up the plans. We each just made one at first to see how they worked and were amazed.

Caustic Burno":2dgmhhtl said:
We all got in the shop one cold rainy night and drew up the plans.

Another one of those ideas born out of desperation? I do my best innovation under pressure.

I still have the old ring feeders. They would work for the bow in a cradle if need be. Think I might keep a couple and sell the rest. TSC is getting a lot of nickels for those ring feeders. You can build a cradle much cheaper than you can buy the rings.

I started building one of those cradles last winter and quit because I figured out my 135 MF wouldn't lift a bale high enough.

Will it still work as well closer to the ground?

Dan

danl":32cujjz1 said:
Will it still work as well closer to the ground?

Dan

Dan I'd think six inches off of the ground to the bottom of the cradle would save hay. You could lift it that high with the three point on the back. They would have a harder time getting the hay that falls through but you could slide the cradle over later. The stuff enderneath wouldn't be trampled in. You could even pitch fork it onto the next bale.

Thanks Backhoe.
I think this weekend will be a good time to finish it up. I have the cradle part welded together I just quit when I got to the legs.

I already pitchfork the leftover hay off the ground back into the ring when I put a new bale out, it can get pretty heavy when it's wet. It's one of those freezing to death sweating at the same time jobs.

Latest posts