Spring is here, at least temporarily

Help Support CattleToday:

Think we have another frost in store here in MO Dun? I'm thinking about spreading some more seed for my yard and putting down weed and feed this weekend. I need to get off my rear and get my fertilizer lined up for my hay field as well.

Wife's chomping at the bit to start landscaping our new house. Picked up several seedlings yesterday from the Conservation Nursery yesterday. My weekend plans have suddenly changed.

Today is March 10. Spring starts on March 20 this year. So we have 10 more days of winter.

The weather? Well I am certain that by the 21st the flowers will be blooming, birds singing, and the sun shining. In the mean time we could have a blizzard. It is still winter.

J&D Cattle":1xr7j09b said:
Think we have another frost in store here in MO Dun?
I'm sure of it. That's the temporary part. May even get some snow this month.

Where I live, we've had snow as late as June in the past. Over the last week and for the next 5+ days, rain and snow are expected.

Spring hasn't gotten here yet.

My grandmother used to say it could frost here until the 10th of May.
Have heard older people say that cold spells ruin peaches when blooming about 1 year out of 3 here.

Ky hills":hmhsi854 said:
My grandmother used to say it could frost here until the 10th of May.
Have heard older people say that cold spells ruin peaches when blooming about 1 year out of 3 here.
The last 2 years the only fruit that has made it was apples and walnuts. Even the pecans and hazelnuts didn;t do much. Killing freeze at easter will do that

I was thinking while out feeding cattle earlier this morning, about some terms some use here to describe some of the colder periods during springtime. I'm not sure if everwhere folks have similar terms or if it's just an east KY hills/mountain tradition. If it turns cooler and blackberries are blooming then we say it's blackberry winter. The same for redbud and dogwoods. Locust trees are I think last trees to bloom. I hear some people say it will be warm to stay after Locust winter. Also I have heard that if the locust trees have heavy blooms that it will be a good crop year.

Latest posts