Spring '06 EPDs for Red Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmgirl

Reaction score
Just saw the spring EPDs are out. Buf Crk Romeo's maternal numbers look good. I guess they reflect performance of his first calving daughters. We have a heifer that is about to calve from him. His accuracies are getting up there too!

Farmgirl

Pretty solid numbers with high accuracy. I hope they are good, I bred my heifers to him. I wasn't impressed with his calf picture, but liked his mature picture.

kvcanes":88uww96s said:
What does anyone know about Major League? Is he as impressive as everyone says?
Seems like everyone thinks he is very impressive by his frontal pic in Jim's catalog, but ones that have seen him in person are not as impressed. So I guess a person needs to see him or his progeny.

la4angus":3eag6frr said:
kvcanes":3eag6frr said:
What does anyone know about Major League? Is he as impressive as everyone says?
Seems like everyone thinks he is very impressive by his frontal pic in Jim's catalog, but ones that have seen him in person are not as impressed. So I guess a person needs to see him or his progeny.
Impressive is as Impressive does! Neither Genotype NOR Phenotype can be determined by a picture, or fifty pictures! Pictures can give one a CLUE - only! Granted, a picure is worth more than what Billy Bob down to the store thought he heard somebody tell somebody - but "Seeing is believing" and a mature animal is a heck of a lot more predictive than a 830# calf. Accuracy is determined by the number of progeny and records of ancestors. It is true that EPD's can be jury-rigged, however not EVERY breeder is a liar and a crook, and given a reasonable period of time the accuracys will even out, and a logical and pragmatic result will emerge. Even a good, long drink of water will change the appearance of an animal, therefore it is rather foolish to plan an entire year's breeding plans on a picture of a bull who is full of water! Not to say pictures are not valuable - but they are only a tool, just as is everything else one uses for making decisions. Knowledge and what you do with it is the important factor. What a Bull's Mama has accomplished is more important than a digital camera.

DOC HARRIS

There were some Major League offspring at Agribition. One of his daughters won Reserve Intermediate Calf Champion Female. She's a great heifer. He had a few others that did really well and a few that placed last or close to it in their classes.
I don't love him but with the right cow he'd do well. There was a discussion about Major Leage as well as a side picture of him awhile back on this board:
http://cattletoday.com/forum/about9896-0-asc-0.html

Latest posts