spraying 2,4d around cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

alexduhe

Reaction score
I have a neighbor that claims that by me spraying 2,4d along the fence line it is causing his calves to get sick and die. He has about 20 cows/calves in about a 15 acre area. Has anyone ever heard of this before?

I suppose it's possible. Mixed correctly I spray with them in the pasture. By the second day when the weeds start to wilt the cows AND calves eat them to the ground. Haven;t had one get sick yet.

I mix 2 oz. per gallon and spray my whole yard for clover and other broadleaf. The chickens and rabbits don't seem to be affected either. I think his calves are dying because they don't have enough to eat. The pasture they are in is mudded over and he gives them 1 bale of hay a day and maybe 50lbs of feed. And that's for all of them.

Mixed and applied at label rates, 2,4-D poses little problem in and of itself. It has a relatively low order of toxicity for mammals, and has a short half-life in the environment, degrading within just a few days.
However, it can cause some plants, as they are damaged, to take up/accumulate nitrates, which can be toxic to cattle, and there are multiple documented instances of cattle being poisoned by consuming toxic plants that they would normally avoid - something about plant damage by 2,4-D seems to make them more palatable.
I don't remove cattle when I'm doing spot-spraying for thistles or blackberries, etc. in fencerows, but if I were doing wholesale spraying, say, to knock back meadow buttercup, then I would pull the cows off the pasture for the recommended time frame.

I think there might be a restriction on grazing sprayed ground with 24d. To be sure I'd have to check. But since you didn't do that, no problem.

Did ya figure what this guy is feeding his cattle, five to six total punds of feed a day. They need to be picking up quite a bit of other grazing to survive.

I must also note that I am not spraying on his side of the fence, just on my side. His young ones keep getting through the fence and coming onto my property. All the way up to my house. Cow patty's all over my yard. What I am spraying is called 2-4D amine 4.

Looks like as long as he keeps blaming you he will never get to the root of his problem

not going to say if the spray is the culprit or not. i use to spray brush with brush killer ( with 2 4 d ) & i did lose a couple of calves, so now i don't spray a pasture until i move cows to a new pasture. like dun says something makes the calves or cows eat the plants after they are sprayed. & i am sure any chemical is not good for them. if they are low on feed these calves would digest more of the plants than normal

stockman12":o5vtf1o9 said:
I think there might be a restriction on grazing sprayed ground with 24d. To be sure I'd have to check. But since you didn't do that, no problem.

Did ya figure what this guy is feeding his cattle, five to six total punds of feed a day. They need to be picking up quite a bit of other grazing to survive.

I spray pastures and hayfields every year I have never pulled the cow's off or lost one. As many years that I have sprayed 2-4-d or Grazon which is 2-4-d with dang I forgot the ingredent to keep seeds from sprouting has been sprayed on pastures across the country. Grazon is touted as being safe to spray on grazing pastures with no grazing restrictions.
http://www.dowagro.com/range/products/grazonPD.htm

dun":1myrelg0 said:
Those listed are for dairy cattle. Beef cattle have no restriction

2,4,d is absolutely safe for beef cows. I know people that spray in pasture with the cows in it at the time and have no problems.

There is a 7 day before slaughter restriction and 30 days for haying.

I had a neighbor say that my spraying along the fence killed his cotton about 100 yards away. What happened is that he overlaped on his spraying and was trying to get me to submit a insurance claim for him to make money on.

Douglas":1exljpg2 said:
I had a neighbor say that my spraying along the fence killed his cotton about 100 yards away. What happened is that he overlaped on his spraying and was trying to get me to submit a insurance claim for him to make money on.
I have been told that in Cotton country if you open a jug of 2-4D that it is a hanging offense
that just a little D can drift for miles and wipe out Cotton

Douglas":bo659y4m said:
You don't say if you were spraying "D" or something else but if it was "D" you are lucky to be able to tell the story. The last instance we had of it we traced it for 7 miles and it can destroy a cotton crop.

As volitile as 2,4-d is and as strange as it works I can almost believe it. One year I sprayed about 150 yards from the garden with the breeze from the garden to me. Every plant in the middle of the garden wilted and died within a couple of days. The stuff on either side looked a little stressed but recovered and ended up doing fine.

Latest posts