Spraying 10% permethrin on cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Sorry I duplicated this post because I did not see it this morning and thought it didn't go thru. It would then not let me delete the second one. Sorry.

True Grit Farms":2zfk1gkx said:
I use one oz of 38% permethrin and 1/2 oz of crop oil to a gallon of water.
I only have the 10% permethrin. Where do you get the 38%?

True Grit Farms":3gfsp8ni said:
Tomcolvin":3gfsp8ni said:
True Grit Farms":3gfsp8ni said:
I use one oz of 38% permethrin and 1/2 oz of crop oil to a gallon of water.
I only have the 10% permethrin. Where do you get the 38%?

https://rwgriffin.com
10% works too but the mixing ratio is different. Instead of an ounce you need to use 4 ounces. usually 38% is cheaper to use....something like $20 vs $30 for 4 times the power.
Here is the label for 10%.
https://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/SP ... _label.pdf

I'd say you are less likely to over use 10% in sensitive situations.

My directions call for 1.5 oz of 10% concentrate per gallon of water. I didn't end up mixing in any oil.

kentuckyguy":2zv6cfdt said:
My directions call for 1.5 oz of 10% concentrate per gallon of water. I didn't end up mixing in any oil.

It will still kill the flies just won't stay as long. I make a pour on with 1gal corn oil, 6.5oz pbo8, and 6.5oz permethrin it's a generic for ultra boss. It'll keep flies off for a few weeks, sometimes longer.

True Grit Farms":2b9z5epi said:
kentuckyguy":2b9z5epi said:

It will still kill the flies just won't stay as long. I make a pour on with 1gal corn oil, 6.5oz pbo8, and 6.5oz permethrin it's a generic for ultra boss. It'll keep flies off for a few weeks, sometimes longer.
From the 38.6% permethrin

From the 10%

When we work cattle we pour it down their back. When the cattle are in pastures that don't have access to pens I cube them in a line and drive the Mule down the line with a sprayer on back and spray them. They let me get real close on the Mule.

I keep saying that I am going to rig up some thing to do one of the hanging ones but I never do. Its always so hard when you are rotating and moving cattle. I've see portable mineral feeders that have spots built on to hang fly stuff.

True Grit Farms":1awcvblv said:
kentuckyguy":1awcvblv said:

I did a mix like that this weekend with lambda-cy.
Used a little higher rate of lambda though.
Poured it on their backs, got some on me and it ate me up for 2 days. Usually lambda only burns for a day.

jedstivers":2bcagw9u said:
True Grit Farms":2bcagw9u said:
kentuckyguy":2bcagw9u said:

Poured it on their backs, got some on me and it ate me up for 2 days. Usually lambda only burns for a day.

Jed, I thought you were supposed to use less Lambda Cy than Permethrin? This is off label but mixing a little Baythoid doesn't hurt either.

True Grit Farms":1w9uvsei said:
jedstivers":1w9uvsei said:
True Grit Farms":1w9uvsei said:

Jed, I thought you were supposed to use less Lambda Cy than Permethrin? This is off label but mixing a little Baythoid doesn't hurt either.
I like to be sure and get them.
I'll change to baythroid later. I swap up a lot.
Also Imidacloprid is good for ticks.
It's safe for dogs. I spray them with it and permethrin. Don't use lambda on dogs, I do spray their beds with it.
Also don't use lambda on horses.

Douglas":8cqkk01w said:
works fine. It might spook them at first. So you need them shut up in a small pen so you can finish.
Problem is rain washing it off. I use a rub now where premethrin is mixed with diesel. The have to go under it to get to the minerals.

I would NOT use diesel in the permethrin mix. Use mineral oil, organic oil, or even vegetable oil. For label instructions see https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_se ... 130129.pdf

jedstivers":cd5jxl9p said:
Diesel has been used for years and years. What's wrong with it now?

First, diesel is not environmentally friendly to your farm or ranch. Secondly, it's not approved for use, per label. Thirdly, "years and years" ago today's recommended oils didn't exist. But...use what you want. I trust the experts. :tiphat:

garyws":2rgh00bd said:
jedstivers":2rgh00bd said:

First, diesel is not environmentally friendly to your farm or ranch.[/b] Secondly, it's not approved for use, per label. Thirdly, "years and years" ago today's recommended oils didn't exist. But...use what you want. I trust the experts. :tiphat:

Why's that? Diesel fuel is excellent to mix with herbicides and insecticides. The experts know what a book says and nothing about the real world uses of fuel and oil.

garyws":3f1es1r4 said:
jedstivers":3f1es1r4 said:

First, diesel is not environmentally friendly to your farm or ranch. Secondly, it's not approved for use, per label. Thirdly, "years and years" ago today's recommended oils didn't exist. But...use what you want. I trust the experts. :tiphat:

The container of 10% Permethrin that I have, contained in the literature/instructions for use, it does list Diesel as one of the emulsifiers that can be used. I purchased this bottle, less than a week ago, so, post-2013.

(this does not necessarily mean that I will be using Diesel)

garyws":z1vrahzz said:
jedstivers":z1vrahzz said:

Mineral oil and vegetable has been around all my life, 48 years.
Every product I've used in those years has diesle on the label. Maybe this one particular product your talking about doesn't, I don't know.
In all those years and years diesle hasn't been a unenvironmentally friendly product at all. I but it on the rub, not spray the entire farm with it.

Latest posts