Sprayer problems

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmgirl

Reaction score
Went out to spray yesterday evening. Sprayer wouldn't build pressure. Used it about a month ago with no problems. No leaking lines. Pump runs. Bought I last year, only used a few times. Reseated the pressure gauge with Teflon tape. Fimco 40 gallon 3 point, 12 volt boom sprayer.

Where would you start troubleshooting?

Thanks,
Farmgirl

I would start with taking the hose off the pump intake and seeing if you can blow through it. If you can I would take the impeller end off of the pump and see if it is broken or gummed up. First is always the intake.

Thanks for the input. Will report back after I have a chance to troubleshoot this afternoon.

Farmgirl

Also check the filter at the bottom of the intake tube. Another thing is make sure the valve that recirculates the fluid isn't open. This maybe the same thong D2 is talking about.

callmefence":28uekprt said:
Fim co uses two pumps the high flow...throw it away. Get the delavan 3.8 or 4.0 pump. It will save you tons of frustration.
Just don't leave the Delavan out in the weather when you aren't using it (off season). They aren't sealed well enough to take a lot of rainfall for several months at a time and the motor end will give ya problems.
I had to replace a 3.8gpm Delavan for that reason. Inside the case was all rusted up.

Great pumps otherwise tho.

How about Remco pumps, Anybody have any experience with them for spot spraying. They are made in the USA and only cost $40 at Atwoods for a 2.2 gpm.

It's lost its prime, if pickup line is flexible pull it up to fill hole take a water hose and turn pump on use your hand to seal around hose and water hose when primed just drop back down in water.

M-5":2sv3sii1 said:
It's lost its prime, if pickup line is flexible pull it up to fill hole take a water hose and turn pump on use your hand to seal around hose and water hose when primed just drop back down in water.
I believe those are diaphragm pumps. I've never had one lose it's prime, they're completely self priming.

greybeard":2wultuz5 said:
M-5":2wultuz5 said:
I believe those are diaphragm pumps. I've never had one lose it's prime, they're completely self priming.

I have gotten one a pumping before with a squirt of dish washing detergent in the inlet.
Priming it might get it pumping but you can bet if that's the case it's on its last legs

callmefence":2kyegc7o said:
greybeard":2kyegc7o said:
M-5":2kyegc7o said:

I have gotten one a pumping before with a squirt of dish washing detergent in the inlet.
Priming it might get it pumping but you can bet if that's the case it's on its last legs

Dang don't say that , I got one I have to prime ever time I start to spray , it's fine after you prime it . now your saying it's Been on its last leg for 8 yrs or so. I guess I should throw it in the burn pit tomorrow.

M-5":ua7bvi9h said:
callmefence":ua7bvi9h said:
greybeard":ua7bvi9h said:

Dang don't say that , I got one I have to prime ever time I start to spray , it's fine after you prime it . now your saying it's Been on its last leg for 8 yrs or so. I guess I should throw it in the burn pit tomorrow.

Got old Maintainer with the ring gear broke off the flywheel. Gotta pull start it every time you
Use it. Not on its last legs I guess. But a pia

Checked all connections and no leaks. Started with input side of the pump. Nothing was blocked. Same on the output side. Replaced with a Delavan pump. Good now. Apparently was the pump. Input line is not flexible so M5 was not feasible to prime as you described.

Thanks for the help.

Farmgirl

I'm not real familiar with that model but there is an inlet screen somewhere that could be clogged, but I'd think if it's pumping but not building pressure then the valves may be worn.
A repair kits pretty cheap and easy.
That is If it's not building enough pressure to shut off the pressure switch.
If the switch is shutting it off before the set pressure then it's may be the pressure switch

I'd fix it for a spare

Farmgirl":2hfmexyo said:
Checked all connections and no leaks. Started with input side of the pump. Nothing was blocked. Same on the output side. Replaced with a Delavan pump. Good now. Apparently was the pump. Input line is not flexible so M5 was not feasible to prime as you described.

Thanks for the help.

Farmgirl
Best solution!

Greybeard,

When you say don't leave the Delavan pump out it the weather, do you mean remove it from the sprayer and take to a temperature controlled location. Usually store my sprayer under a shed but not enclosed or temperature controlled.

Thanks,
Farmgirl

Farmgirl":1osvqkbv said:
Greybeard,

When you say don't leave the Delavan pump out it the weather, do you mean remove it from the sprayer and take to a temperature controlled location. Usually store my sprayer under a shed but not enclosed or temperature controlled.

Thanks,
Farmgirl

What are you spraying with it?

Latest posts