Splitting Slaughtered Beef with Sibling?

Help Support CattleToday:

Rahe Family Belties":29rhw7ef said:
Wholesale beef price this week in my area is $2.45/ pound based on hot carcass weight. Processing is .75-.85 pound.

Your steer should yield about a 700 pound carcass. 350 x $2.45 is $857.50
Plus the .76-.85 processing. And then you don't know what they ate, how they were handled, what the breed was. Yes. It all makes a difference to some

3waycross":21z4dimu said:
dieselbeef":21z4dimu said:
bez nailed it....

How do you figure that Bez nailed it. $3 is a subjective price. The solution I outlined is exactly fair market value of everything.

Nothing against Bez but $3 is just a number. It may have exactly nothing to do with the value of that calf cut and wrapped.

Please explain how Bez nailed it.

3way, the one who "nailed it" was you making the right call. I am not patronizing you as I find that practice unflattering, I just like a good call when I see one and I have nothing against Bez, either.

For family, I just figure my cost, if I have $800 in it and their getting half, I charge them $400 plus their half the processing. If selling half, they pay market price plus processing.

Thank you for all of the responses and opinions, and yes, I was able to glean useful information from the last 3 pages! :)

The best "documented" proof I have for pricing is a USDA Feeder Cattle sale report in my area from April 16th. For a 1200 lb. feeder steer, the price was 130.00 per cwt. or $1.30 per live pound. I am meeting with my sister tomorrow, and we will discuss the pricing and I will show her what I might have received for the steer if I had sold him at auction the previous week. I will likely knock that number down since Bobo would have been penalized for not having a black hide. We are also on the edge of Northern Virginia, and the cost of living here is much higher than in most of the country.

"Bobo" was actually a "Zac," as he was born in a Z year according to the American Tarentaise Association (they have an X year, too, but not a V year. Imagine.). I started him calling Bobo because he was big, friendly, and goofy. He is a son of the Genex AI sire Revolution (polled Hereford), out of my very first Tarentaise cow, and I am very proud of him. He is a beautiful specimen with an excellent temperament. I taught my daughter how to band castrate when Bobo was just a few days old, a fact I like to share with her boyfriend. He's had a good life, but I've lovingly raised him as a gourmet item, and he will taste great!

Thanks again for your comments.

MichaelB

Wholesale beef price this week in my area is $2.45/ pound based on hot carcass weight. Processing is .75-.85 pound.

Your steer should yield about a 700 pound carcass. 350 x $2.45 is $857.50
Rahe Family Belties Cowhand
Cowhand Posts: 73Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:10 am

The above wholesale prices are paid by the butcher for cattle that come from known sources, not unknown salebarn cattle.
Prime and choice beef will get a small premium, lesser grades get deducted. (all assuming the animal is not too big or too fat and low YG)

I base my beef prices on his daily wholesale price.

Butchers usually weigh the carcass to determine processing costs, so it is a fair gauge to sell it too.
Also, I don't have to weigh the calf on foot.

I sell to family too. They will get a price break.

Latest posts