Steer mounting heifers with penis

Help Support CattleToday:

DeereRunFarmPA

Reaction score
My bf noticed yesterday that one of our steers (banded at about 5-6 months old) was mounting one of our young heifers with penis. He has never seen a steer have a penis. I know nothing and looking to see if we should be worried. He moved him in with the mammas for now as a precaution. They should all already be pregnant. Thoughts??

My bf noticed yesterday that one of our steers (banded at about 5-6 months old) was mounting one of our young heifers with penis. He has never seen a steer have a penis. I know nothing and looking to see if we should be worried. He moved him in with the mammas for now as a precaution. They should all already be pregnant. Thoughts??
Welcome to CT.
Nothing to worry about. Some steers can still get an erection even though they are steers. More often in cattle that are casterated at an older age.

Uh, steers do still in fact have a penis. We don't take that part away. If you're worried you can check for a missed ball if you feel motivated but 1. If they're all pregnant then it wouldn't matter 2. Mounting is pretty normal hormonal behavior and 3. I wouldn't waste another thought on it.

I would highly encourage you guys to ask a lot of questions here instead of worrying about what you've "seen" if you're confused about the difference between danglers and dongs.

It is possible that the banding process was not done correctly or you may just have a steer with excessive testosterone. It is not unusual for a steer to mount a heifer or even other steers.

was mounting one of our young heifers with penis. Thoughts?
If he's a steer no worries.
IF he's a stag (1 nutter) usually 80% sterile as testicle is trapped too close to body and body heat lowers semen viability.
But it only takes one for an oops baby. IF you see penetration or see the penis erect (not just the tip) then you have worries.
Stags will have secondary sex characteristics from testosterone production and look bully (ie male neck) rather than looking
like a steer or heifer.

Last edited:
There goes Johnny with his pecker in his hand, he's a one ball man and he's off to the rodeo..
Late friend of mine wrote that song!

I had a stag this year, looked bullish, acted bullish. there was no way to get both nuts down into the band last year and I even waited a month and tried again, no way!

Latest posts