speaking of butts

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Look at the growth on this 6wk old heifer. She's from the bull I asked about earlier, and the herf/gert cross I started with 3 years ago
scaled.php

scaled.php

i know your learning just like i am,, but when you evaluate a animal dont get hung up on their strongsuits things like bigbutts get talked about alot on here but thats not always a plus,, if overall the animal has faults , start at the feet and work your way up

I was just impressed with her growth and but more than anything. Personally, I don't see how the set of the legs affects the marketability of a beef heifer. As long as she ends up producing calves that grow well and have good yield. While I appreciate everyones input, I really do, I'm beginning to think sometimes people put too much stock into how a beef animal looks. Personally, I'm not raising show animals, just trying to raise good producers with either good maternal qualities or good yield

hooknline":1kdwk78b said:
I was just impressed with her growth and but more than anything. Personally, I don't see how the set of the legs affects the marketability of a beef heifer. As long as she ends up producing calves that grow well and have good yield. While I appreciate everyones input, I really do, I'm beginning to think sometimes people put too much stock into how a beef animal looks. Personally, I'm not raising show animals, just trying to raise good producers with either good maternal qualities or good yield
nope that may be your snap judgement of what i was saying but not the case,, you can build a house to last, or a temporary dwelling

If I'm wrong about what you were saying, I apologize. But I'm a big boy (getting bigger every day). So call it like it is.
But.......it still doesn't change how I feel about how cattle are viewed. While I agree with your analogy, I disagree too. If all the cattle that don't meet some of the requirements of some of the members here were sent to slaughter, there sure wouldn't be very many cattle left in this country.
Your response was just an opening for me to voice that opinion of mine. Don't take it personal.
Who knows..in a few years my viewpoint may change on the issue.
Thanks again for your input. Wether I agree or disagree, I'm still learning

The reason why "some" of us place as much emphasis on soundness is because we know what a replacement costs and we want our cows to have a long productive life.

But in essence I agree with you, as long as a cow is sound, milks well and is fertile there ain't many issues that cannot be addressed by the correct bull in a single generation, BUT the less cow you have the more bull you'll need, so you might as well start somewhere to select for what you want your herd of the future to be (and look like)

I'd be pretty happy with her to. I wish I could find a bunch of mommas just like her, bmf with a little ear.

Knersie is right. The purpose of being critical of your cows is to set yourself up with long lasting animals. That being said, for Florida, I don't see any early signs that she won't turn into a great, long-lasting cow. Knowing that there's some gert in there helps as the longevity seems to increase with the size of the ears regardless of conformation. :D The time to be critical for imperfections is when you pick a bull to mate her to.

Knersie and CP, I get what you're saying. So far she's the best looking and growing calf we've had. Its going to be interesting to see what she ends up at. The herf/gert's last steer calf is a dud. Looks good, just dinky. Different bull, and her first calf. He's almost 20 months and just on grass and hay. That's him in the background of the 1st pic. Ill start finishing him once these temps drop.

She definitely has promise Hook ! Keep us updated ,especially when she is about 6 months old . :D Love the markings on her head .

BTW I have a 6 year old that front feet tow out like your calf a bit and she is one of my best moms and usually in the top 5% for WW's ;-) Her calves make me money $$$$$$ :tiphat:

Hey Hookandline. I see nothing wrong with your heifer. I have about 6 more that look like that. I plan to grow out to make mommas.I like black baldies. I guess I will be put down because I like black baldies. I don't raise show cattle. I want what sales good at the commerical sale barn. When I did raise reg. cattle I never got 1 cent more at the commerical sale barn. Those papers don't mean nothing when the packers knock them in the head. I've seen the barn throw the papers in the trash. The last time I made a post on here I was told I was stupid, because I said let people raise what they want. It is their money. I don't care if I raise 2 headed and 4 eyed cows . It is my money that feeds them. Not some rich breeder.
Blue goose1

ALACOWMAN":wki50jru said:
shows how thing can be taking out of context, wasnt running the heifer down.. was saying not to concentrate on just """one""" strong point...

I was saying that I liked her too, she has a lot going for her, besides the big butt . ;-)

bluegoose 1":1vlphtx9 said:
Hey Hookandline. I see nothing wrong with your heifer. I have about 6 more that look like that. I plan to grow out to make mommas.I like black baldies. I guess I will be put down because I like black baldies. I don't raise show cattle. I want what sales good at the commerical sale barn. When I did raise reg. cattle I never got 1 cent more at the commerical sale barn. Those papers don't mean nothing when the packers knock them in the head. I've seen the barn throw the papers in the trash. The last time I made a post on here I was told I was stupid, because I said let people raise what they want. It is their money. I don't care if I raise 2 headed and 4 eyed cows . It is my money that feeds them. Not some rich breeder.
Blue goose1
never seen that breed,, got any pictures ?

ALACOWMAN":2x6c6brr said:
bluegoose 1":2x6c6brr said:
Blue goose1
never seen that breed,, got any pictures ?

sort of reminds me of my ex-wife!! :devil2:

well, I think you can have beautiful flawless lemons and productive, long-lived turds any way you go... maybe we've been doing it ass-backwards, and I know that we started out with really poor stock (20/20 hindsight), but now that I've been doing this for 20 years, I can see patterns in the bloodlines, I have records of each cow, and use it to anticipate what to expect in the future.

We had 1 herf X (simm/RA?), she was built like a tank, ate like a hippo, and made big strong calves, but her granddaughters are becoming skinny and hard keepers, though they still milk well... On the other hand, one of the smaller cows who produced average, or just above, her granddaughters are build far better and live much longer... that cow was called "the ugliest cow I've ever seen" on here by someone, but most anyone would like to have any 3 of her granddaughters in their herd. Our first 3 bulls, which we kept for an average for 5 years each, were all grand champions, and no doubt that plays a role when you haven't developed an eye for what's good, and I'm only starting to get it...

Breeding cattle is a long road, and if we were to start over, we would have looked at a breeder who was in the business for 50 or more years

Latest posts