Speaking at graduation

Help Support CattleToday:

Yet so many jobs now want you to have at least a BA from college..... they want to see some sort of college on mortgage applications, you name it and it seems that practically everything wants a reference to college, and your credit score. And we go on and on about how we can't get good help in the "trades". When I was going to school and the big push was for a "college degree" and "trade school" was looked down on. Nowadays, I sure would like to see a lot more "trades" and less of these dumb college degrees that don't seem to help with the practical.

Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, and Larry Ellison were college dropouts. They did pretty well without a sheepskin. Steve Jobs passed away in 2011 from Pancreatic cancer.

herofan said:
sim.-ang.king said:
Also tell them college is pointless unless you just want to work for someone else the rest of your life.

;-)

On the other hand, if you want to be a dentist, pharmacist, vet, lawyer, doctor, school teacher, or optometrist, just to name a few, it would be pointless not to go to college.

😅 I think I could pass out pills, drill people's teeth, stitch up cuts, etc without college 😅 I saw it on YouTube. 🤣🙌🏽🤡

Seriously I'm joking!!!

When the eye dr. lady was about to do my cataract surgery I asked her if she had ever done that before.
She said she had watched a video. :help:
I asked the retina man the same thing when he was getting ready to stick a needle in my eye to clean out some junk.
He assured me that he had read the manual. :hide:
They both did ok.

Chevy said:
herofan said:
sim.-ang.king said:
Also tell them college is pointless unless you just want to work for someone else the rest of your life.

;-)

On the other hand, if you want to be a dentist, pharmacist, vet, lawyer, doctor, school teacher, or optometrist, just to name a few, it would be pointless not to go to college.

😅 I think I could pass out pills, drill people's teeth, stitch up cuts, etc without college 😅 I saw it on YouTube. 🤣🙌🏽🤡

Seriously I'm joking!!!
Several years ago I had to have surgery for a blocked intestine turned out okay problem was from scar tissue from a ruptured appendix that decide to grow in my old age. The surgeon wanted to have me come to his office two weeks later to see how I was doing. On the wall and the only credentials he had up there was his degree in veterinary medicine from Texas A&M.

Something along these lines. Replace R & D with millennial , snowflake, etc if you wish.
Heck leave in open-ended and ask which one are "you" (?) A or B.

ending with we are leaving this country in your hands...…apologize for the point "we" have let it to at this point, ask them to please right the ship for future generations, and at the least "don't screw it up." (any more than we have)

(copied from another forum)
"If you ever wondered which side of the fence you sit on, this is a great test!

If a Republican doesn't like guns, he doesn't buy one.
If a Democrat doesn't like guns, he wants all guns outlawed.

If a Republican is a vegetarian, he doesn't eat meat.
If a Democrat is a vegetarian, he wants all meat products banned for everyone.

If a Republican is homosexual, he quietly leads his life.
If a Democrat is homosexual, he demands legislated respect.

If a Republican is down-and-out, he thinks about how to better his situation.
A Democrat wonders who is going to take care of him.

If a Republican doesn't like a talk show host, he switches channels.
Democrats demand that those they don't like be shut down.

If a Republican is a non-believer, he doesn't go to church.
A Democrat non-believer wants any mention of God and religion silenced.

If a Republican decides he needs health care, he goes about shopping for it, or may choose a job that provides it.
A Democrat demands that the rest of us pay for his.

If a Republican reads this, he'll forward it so his friends can have a good laugh.
A Democrat will delete it because he's "offended".

Jeff Foxworthy

sstterry said:
College is not for everyone. Some do it, some don't. It is in no way a measure of someone's intelligence or success.

Very true.
I don't see success in dollar signs, material stuff or a college degree. Mine is 2 and 4 years old and a handsome husband 😍. I like to give heck! 😉😅
Its the things money can't buy the small things.

herofan said:
TexasBred said:
Bigfoot said:
Surprisingly, I have been chosen to speak at our local graduation. Understandably. I'm dreading it. Due to the Covid 19 crisis, it will be tapped. I guess that helps, we normally have about 5,000 in attendance. That would be nerve racking.
Couple questions:
1. How long should I speak?
2. Throw out a couple of subjects to speak about.

If I had been invited to preach, I could have gotten very excited about the opportunity. This is much different.

Like a well delivered sermon no more than 15 minutes.

15 minute sermon? I'd guess you are not an old time Missionary Baptist like me. Fifteen minutes would just be getting started.
My great grandpa was a Baptist preacher, great grandma said any preacher couldn't get said what needs said in fifteen minutes wasn't worth his salt. My uncle on the other side of the family was a Baptist preacher too, his sermons were kinda like a tornado. You know it wasn't gonna last long, if you could hold out long enough to survive the blast! Both men got with it in the pulpit.

BFE said:
herofan said:
TexasBred said:
Like a well delivered sermon no more than 15 minutes.

15 minute sermon? I'd guess you are not an old time Missionary Baptist like me. Fifteen minutes would just be getting started.
My great grandpa was a Baptist preacher, great grandma said any preacher couldn't get said what needs said in fifteen minutes wasn't worth his salt. My uncle on the other side of the family was a Baptist preacher too, his sermons were kinda like a tornado. You know it wasn't gonna last long, if you could hold out long enough to survive the blast! Both men got with it in the pulpit.

Even among Baptists, I suppose things are often different. The Baptists I am accustomed to don't prepare their sermons. Their preparation just consists of praying and asking God for a revelation, and a lot of that praying takes place at home. God isn't always done in 15 minutes at our churches.

jltrent said:
Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, and Larry Ellison were college dropouts. They did pretty well without a sheepskin. Steve Jobs passed away in 2011 from Pancreatic cancer.

jl you will have to admit each of those you listed are the exception not the rule

hurleyjd said:
Chevy said:
herofan said:

Seriously I'm joking!!!
Several years ago I had to have surgery for a blocked intestine turned out okay problem was from scar tissue from a ruptured appendix that decide to grow in my old age. The surgeon wanted to have me come to his office two weeks later to see how I was doing. On the wall and the only credentials he had up there was his degree in veterinary medicine from Texas A&M.

Mr. Hurley I have a friend who's daughter was accepted to the Univ of Texas medical school twice while "waiting and hoping" to get into A&M Vet School. She never got in so finished her PhD and went to work as a Ruminant Nutritionist.

TexasBred said:
jltrent said:

jl you will have to admit each of those you listed are the exception not the rule
Agreed.......

TexasBred said:
Mr. Hurley I have a friend who's daughter was accepted to the Univ of Texas medical school twice while "waiting and hoping" to get into A&M Vet School. She never got in so finished her PhD and went to work as a Ruminant Nutritionist.

It says something about Medical Dr.'s vs Vets.

sstterry said:
TexasBred said:

Does it? Or was it the luck of the draw?

Ryder said:
sstterry said:
TexasBred said:

Does it? Or was it the luck of the draw?

Some of both I'm sure but I do know that only the very top few get into the School of Veterinary Medicine at Aggieland.

Bigfoot said:
Surprisingly, I have been chosen to speak at our local graduation. Understandably. I'm dreading it. Due to the Covid 19 crisis, it will be tapped. I guess that helps, we normally have about 5,000 in attendance. That would be nerve racking.
Couple questions:

If I had been invited to preach, I could have gotten very excited about the opportunity. This is much different.

So, Bigfoot, did you make the speech yet? If so, how did it go?

herofan said:
Bigfoot said:
Couple questions:

So, Bigfoot, did you make the speech yet? If so, how did it go?
Recorded the speech back some time ago. It's not been played yet. I honestly don't know when it will be available, and what format it will be in. I had hoped they would have shared that by now.

It wen "ok". I'm far more comfortable talking about agriculture, or preaching.

It was strange to give the speech in a gymnasium, to a camera. There were also several distractions going on in the gym.

Spoke about 12 minutes I think they said.

Talking points were along the lines of we can't let adversity define us, how we deal with adversity must define us.......That sort of thing.

Glad it's over, and hope I never have to do it again.

TexasBred said:
hurleyjd said:
Chevy said:

Seriously I'm joking!!!

I was not trying to disparage the doctor. I am sure that he had to intern and finish enough education criteria to become a Medical Doctor. We had another Veterinarian in our area that went back to school to be able to practice medicine. Medical doctors salary is a good chance better than practicing as a veterinarian. Only problem is if he had moved 2 inches away from my navel I would not have the hernia I have now. But giving all things as Minnie Pearl would say I am just glad to be here.

Latest posts