Spayed heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

G. S. Chase

Reaction score
I noticed on a market report that there were quantities of "heifers spayed" being sold. Assuming that a "spayed" beef heifer means a "neutered" beef heifer, as it does in reference to other animals, where is the advantage in neutering a heifer?

Heifers will come into heat about every three weeks until they are bred. Spayed heifers don't cycle, therefore they will settle down into the business of eating, growing and gaining weight more efficiently for slaughter much like a steer. Feedlots spay them. Once a heifer is spayed it's permanent, you can't decide later that you want to keep her for breeding.

Rustler9":iresn579 said:
Heifers will come into heat about every three weeks until they are bred. Spayed heifers don't cycle, therefore they will settle down into the business of eating, growing and gaining weight more efficiently for slaughter much like a steer. Feedlots spay them. Once a heifer is spayed it's permanent, you can't decide later that you want to keep her for breeding.

Thanks, Rustler9; that makes sense, but I wouldn't have guessed that spaying would be economically feasible for the purpose of enhancing weight gain. I don't know what it costs, but I would think at least a couple of hundred dollars.

I don't know how the actual process works or the cost but I do know a guy in Montana who was interally doing hundreds of them in a single day. I assume that it is a fairly simple procedure the way they do it.

Dave

G. S. Chase":1f89a091 said:
I don't know what it costs, but I would think at least a couple of hundred dollars.
Depending on how many you have, I think it is more like $3-5/hd.

How do they spay 'em? Can't be that complicated if it only costs $5 a head.

milkmaid":qr4fshuq said:
How do they spay 'em? Can't be that complicated if it only costs $5 a head.

They go in through the vagina, insert a tube and let the ovaries fall into the belly.

Instead of the old way they would cut her open on the side and stitch her back up.

Latest posts