I have noticed a new Way to market heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm certainly not saying there's no good animals that go through there, it just makes me wonder what the nice looking ones are there for... were they witches at calving?... Look the part but raised a dink?
Not speaking for others, when I take a cow to the stockyard it means I have culled her from the herd..one reason or other...like the commercial says,if your a free range chicken, you roam free, it's what you do

ALACOWMAN":rg33kqhj said:
I'm certainly not saying there's no good animals that go through there, it just makes me wonder what the nice looking ones are there for... were they witches at calving?... Look the part but raised a dink?
Not speaking for others, when I take a cow to the stockyard it means I have culled her from the herd..one reason or other...

like the commercial says,if your a free range chicken, you roam free, it's what you do

not to hijack this thread but in fact it doesn't mean that at all..........

I have sold some good cows and heifers at the sale barn when I sold some of my commercial cattle. Going to run two black heifers through the barn this year they should be bred to my Beefmaster bull and they are half Angus half Beefmaster the last of my commercials.

John SD":318glxtv said:
TexasBred":318glxtv said:
Contrary to what some think and say, the sale barn is not a dumping off place for junk animals. Realistically it's the only place most small cattle operators have to sell and week in and week out you'll see a lot of really good cattle come through the sale barn.

:nod: While there are a few small cattle operators, i'd say the majority of consignments at sale barns are from longtime reputation consignors who have sold at the same auctions for years. A sale barn simply doesn't market 5-10K head of cattle on sale day, sometimes 2 or 3 days per week in season, from a bunch of part-time operations.
WEll first off we don't have any auctions around here that EVER sell that many cattle at one time but a majority at any sell in this neck of the woods are made up of cattle being sold by locals who are part timers or "hobby farmers" as some say. Keep in mind some of these hobby guys will have a herd of 300 cows as well so big and small is relative. You've always got a few traders but most of them are local as well. If your sale has a good reputation for doing things right folks will drive 50-60 miles to sell cattle with you.....and they bring dam good cattle when they come. Right now some are running 1500 head a week but most are having small runs of only 3-400 every week.

As usual I am late to this party. But I tried to sell some bred heifers on Craigslist two years ago. They were the cut offs from a pot load that I sold. Nothing at all wrong with the heifers. Well bred, well vaccinated, AI'ed to a calving ease bull. They were just the smaller end of the heifers. I asked a little less per head than what I got for the ones that went on the load. I got a couple email replies to the ad but no one even came and looked. The weather finally broke and I hauled them over the pass to the Toppenish sale. I got more money for them than I was asking on Craigslist.

Nesikep":2b02i0hs said:
Ojp.. I don't see that holding up in court unless he claimed (in writing) that they had been vaccinated. 3 months later especially.

I've seen some darned nice looking animals go through the sale barn here, and it made me wonder why they were there...
I usually don't have enough quality replacement heifers that I would feel good about putting my name behind after I take the few best ones I want.

Temperament is mostly learned, but partly genetic too I think... I know in my one line of cows that were from my first 'pet', they're all much easier to handle, easier to halter break, and I never need to worry about them being mean at calving time.. then there are other lines that just *have* to constantly push, fight and bicker over everything, the ones that grandma, mother, and daughter all have their heads on the wrong side of the fence...

Occasionally an entire estate will go through the sale barn. Really nice herds with years of culling going into their genetics. Seen it with both commercial and PB. Practically everything I sell goes through the sale barn here.

Nesikep":1075tnlz said:
[
I saw a old school Simmi cow there, what a tank she was, nothing shy of a full ton, deep, long, and a huge bag. I'd have made money on her the way the market went, I'd have bought her at $70cwt and sold for $140 now, and maybe had a couple good calves.
There were some nice looking young limo cows there, and a gelbvieh weaning heifer that really looked nice, but she was really flighty.

When we raised registered cattle we consigned cattle to a number of large on the ranch sales around the state. Even with a thousand or more good registered cattle for sale there would always be 50-60 old junkers somebody was hoping to get rid of. There is a reason everyone of those good registed cows are there. Guess they figured everybody would get so use to giving big money for the good stuff they would still give it for the older and lower quality stuff. Somebody bought'em so guess it worked.

Rafter S":2kxyo38e said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2kxyo38e said:
Does anybody here sell on Cattle Range?

http://www.cattlerange.com/A-Cattle.html

I bought a bull there last year, but haven't sold anything.

We bought 15 bred heifers on Cattle Range in 2012 and calved them out in 2013 with great success. The little old man I bought them from still runs his ad and sells lots of cattle that way. He's an interesting guy and in terrific shape for 87 years of age.

I always get tickled when someone brings trashy "registered" cows thru the sale. No one is bidding and they don't understand why. They have papers up there waving. Trash is trash. Paper doesn't make 'em good.

TexasBred":dcx5w6ry said:
John SD":dcx5w6ry said:
TexasBred":dcx5w6ry said:
Contrary to what some think and say, the sale barn is not a dumping off place for junk animals. Realistically it's the only place most small cattle operators have to sell and week in and week out you'll see a lot of really good cattle come through the sale barn.

:nod: While there are a few small cattle operators, i'd say the majority of consignments at sale barns are from longtime reputation consignors who have sold at the same auctions for years. A sale barn simply doesn't market 5-10K head of cattle on sale day, sometimes 2 or 3 days per week in season, from a bunch of part-time operations.
WEll first off we don't have any auctions around here that EVER sell that many cattle at one time but a majority at any sell in this neck of the woods are made up of cattle being sold by locals who are part timers or "hobby farmers" as some say. Keep in mind some of these hobby guys will have a herd of 300 cows as well so big and small is relative. You've always got a few traders but most of them are local as well. If your sale has a good reputation for doing things right folks will drive 50-60 miles to sell cattle with you.....and they bring dam good cattle when they come. Right now some are running 1500 head a week but most are having small runs of only 3-400 every week.

Starting this time of year through early summer is about as slack as it gets when it comes to cattle sales "here", unless cattle are selling because of drought. Some auctions go to an every other week schedule. Sometimes on short notice as the sale scheduled for today in Faith http://www.faithlivestock.com/upcomingsales3.html was postponed until next week because of the winter storm.

We certainly needed and are thankful for the precip and I did not hear of any losses because of the storm :banana: :banana: :banana: It was starting to look like a lot of cattle would start moving but this gives us an excellent start on grass and hay 8) 8) 8)

Slow in Faith this time of year, so they go to an every-other-week schedule, but things certainly perk up in the fall with 3 sales per week for a couple weeks in October. Likewise Philip http://www.philiplivestock.com and Ft Pierre http://www.ftpierrelivestock.com start cutting back this time of year into the light summer runs. Usually the way they do it is to sell feeder cattle one week, and sell weigh-ups the next week, in order to bring in more numbers for the buyers.

Starting this time of year through early summer is about as slack as it gets when it comes to cattle sales "here", unless cattle are selling because of drought. Some auctions go to an every other week schedule. Sometimes on short notice as the sale scheduled for today in Faith http://www.faithlivestock.com/upcomingsales3.html was postponed until next week because of the winter storm.

We certainly needed and are thankful for the precip and I did not hear of any losses because of the storm It was starting to look like a lot of cattle would start moving but this gives us an excellent start on grass and hay

Slow in Faith this time of year, so they go to an every-other-week schedule, but things certainly perk up in the fall with 3 sales per week for a couple weeks in October. Likewise Philip http://www.philiplivestock.com and Ft Pierre http://www.ftpierrelivestock.com start cutting back this time of year into the light summer runs. Usually the way they do it is to sell feeder cattle one week, and sell weigh-ups the next week, in order to bring in more numbers for the buyers.
Wasn't there even a few sales that quit selling in the summer out there? We used to buy a lot of heiferettes out there when my grandpa had both of his feedlots going and they seemed like they got really hard to find this time of year.

Ojp6":10tyskhs said:

We certainly needed and are thankful for the precip and I did not hear of any losses because of the storm It was starting to look like a lot of cattle would start moving but this gives us an excellent start on grass and hay

Wasn't there even a few sales that quit selling in the summer out there? We used to buy a lot of heiferettes out there when my grandpa had both of his feedlots going and they seemed like they got really hard to find this time of year.

Don't think the sales quit altogether, but numbers certainly drop and with less frequent sales would tend to make whatever you're looking for harder to find. Lot of folks ultrasound preg test yearling heifers starting in August or so in order to take advantage of the traditionally better market than when the big runs start in the fall. :idea:

Yeah I remember one spring we couldn't find many and Belle Fouche called and said they had a bunch of our kind coming. One guy had 75 3 and 4 year olds in there that had lost calves and that's what we were feeding mostly. 8 hour drive later we got 5 pot loads bought cheap and they made more money than anything we bought the rest of the year. They get some huge runs out there compared to some places closer to home. I remember watching 3000 kill cows sell in Fort Pierre in one day in the fall. Around home your lucky to see 250 slaughter cows sell in a day.

John SD":1f3r8o4y said:

I read the market reports for several sales around here. I don't see how some keep the doors open running 2-300 head a week let alone keep the order buyers coming. Hardly enough to pay the bills.

3waycross":1txe8ehl said:
ALACOWMAN":1txe8ehl said:
Not speaking for others, when I take a cow to the stockyard it means I have culled her from the herd..one reason or other...

like the commercial says,if your a free range chicken, you roam free, it's what you do

not to hijack this thread but in fact it doesn't mean that at all..........
:lol: like it makes a dam..