I have noticed a new Way to market heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Would be a hard job just finding 1100 good purebred bulls a year to sell. BTW saw yesterday where another good young man was murdered while making a visit concerning another Craig's List item for sale.

I may be a bit late but... All the sale barns in my area have auctions during the week usually starting mid-morning. Most people that want to buy 2-3 calves work full time jobs and simply can't make it to the sales.

cowboy43":21k7054m said:
i see a lot of heifers for sale on Craigslist, they are asking 4 to 5 hundred dollars over auction prices, and do not have to pay the 4 per cent commission to the auction house. If yo don't mind dealing with the public And want to make more money this may be the thing to do. Their are a lot of city people or people without cattle knowledge that are looking to buy cattle and do not want to go to the auction. :cboy:

Its not just "city people". There are tons of threads in this forum with people convinced the evil sale barns only deal with culls or injured cattle.

I do not know what he IS paying , that is a too personal question to ask, I used the $500 as an example ,as this is an example : if he bought yearling Bulls in volume from ranchers for $2000 to $2500 and I know he gets $3500 plus that gives him $1500 to $1000 for expenses and profit. Like I said I used those figures as an example but I do know he gets $ 3500 plus .
I do not see how if you go to the extra care and expense of raising good replacement heifers how that could be taking advantage of people. Same as if you buy a Chevy car or a cadillac . Their is a lot cattle on Craigslist that are under quality and overpriced, Someone asked how do I know if they sold, I have called several that I thought were good replacements and they have been sold already in a short time after listing. Their are more ways to sell cattle than on Craigslist I used that as an example also as one way to list your cattle. I still believe raise good quality replacements and develop a good reputation a person could make above market value selling private treaty.

Just food for thought on people talking about sale barn diseases and exposure... I could sell off my farm everything looks neat good grasses overall good environment however you would never know which cattle came from the barn herd vs my herd.. I keep them in 2 different locations. Just because it appears they are in a good environment you may not know what you are truly getting either way. You also do not know what diseases exist in the herd you are buying from. I see these over priced cattle on Clist all the time however I see them relisted and prices drop and drop till someone buys them. I also do not want people poking around that may come back and clean me out so I don't advertise cattle on Clist.

I was not inferring that a "mutt" is a bad animal. To me a mutt is just a mixed breed. Sure, there are quite a few decent cattle at the sale barn. I used to sell commercial Brangus calves at our local sale barn on a regular basis.

Nothing wrong with private treaty sales and premiums are usually had but it's not everyone, particularly if you don't have time or just don't want strangers around your place.

If someone has registered cattle, their association almost always promotes special auctions that they can participate in if auctions are your main interest.

oh yea I was just giving a friendly reminder to the sale barn haters out there :) James you know we are good.. Now let me come get a few of yours on credit though I can't afford to buy anything from you private treaty.. I will write you a big I.O.U :lol: :lol: :lol:

fenceman":1espe5qe said:
Yeah buddy, you could call it cowboy 43 heifer depot. Get you a sign out on the highway. Some balloons. One of those crazy tube thinks that mounts on a big fan and flops around way up in the air. You could get a slick talking salesman with a big hat. You could even let people trade in their old cattle. Then you haul them to sale and make money on the flip...... ;-) ;-)

:lol: :lol: :lol: That reminded me of a movie I once saw, but can't remember the name of it now, funny.

cowboy43":387jdn6i said:
I do not see how if you go to the extra care and expense of raising good replacement heifers how that could be taking advantage of people. Same as if you buy a Chevy car or a cadillac . Their is a lot cattle on Craigslist that are under quality and overpriced, Someone asked how do I know if they sold, I have called several that I thought were good replacements and they have been sold already in a short time after listing. Their are more ways to sell cattle than on Craigslist I used that as an example also as one way to list your cattle. I still believe raise good quality replacements and develop a good reputation a person could make above market value selling private treaty.
I guess maybe I was confused by your original post, but you do realize that there are a lot of people, including folks here, that make a living doing exactly what you're talking about? Whether seed stock or commercial, selling replacement animals isn't a new idea. However, your original post implied just taking run of the mill feeders and selling them on CL to unsuspecting city folks for above market prices. At least that's how I read it.

M.Magis":3rfx14cm said:
cowboy43":3rfx14cm said:
I guess maybe I was confused by your original post, but you do realize that there are a lot of people, including folks here, that make a living doing exactly what you're talking about? Whether seed stock or commercial, selling replacement animals isn't a new idea. However, your original post implied just taking run of the mill feeders and selling them on CL to unsuspecting city folks for above market prices. At least that's how I read it.

Me too.I guess I was confused as well. :cowboy:

That is why it is hard sometimes to communicate on this board or any social media no matter how hard you try to get your thoughts communicated your thoughts can still be mis-interrupted , that is why I kept the dialog going to try to get my thoughts understood, Just like someone said auctions worked hard to get you top dollar which may be so in certain parts of the country, but here you drop your cattle off and they are run through the ring as fast as they can go, the majority of the cattle are bought by the order buyers ever the replacement cattle, the few they do not buy are bought by the ones that come from south of the boarder, they just hold their hand up till they get it, so it is very hard to buy replacement cattle here at the auction. The number of replacement cattle coming through are very few. That is why I believe in this area private treaty sales would be good for the rancher and the buyer.
By what I meant by saying ( thinking outside the box was) finding another way to market your cattle in this area because 99.9 per cent are going to auction because that is the only way people know how to market their cattle, the majority of our old ranchers have died off or retired, Each part of the country has unique ways of doing things and different problems. Thanks for all your responses.

Not one thing wrong with the sale barn. I have bought good cattle at the sale barn and I have sold good cattle there as well. Most of the sellers are smalltime ranchers selling a few head at a time. They have good cattle, but don't want to mess with private sales. People get in a cash crunch they sell a few cows. Couple gets divorced, the cows are sold. Grandpa dies, his cows go to auction. This is the majority of the cattle being sold at the barn.

Private sales are great if you have the time to buy/sale privately. Lots of folks don't have that kind of time, or feel comfortable with it.

When I have done private sales I have had mixed experiences. Some get down to business and buy or don't buy the animal. Others want to ask a jillion dumb questions or they want some sort of iron clad guarantee that the animal is going to be stellar. And when I set a price there is no negotiation. So lowballers really irritate me. And you get a lot of those.

At least with the auction, you know that you got MARKET PRICE for that animal on that day. As high as anyone was willing to bid.

talltimber":38dxbtkr said:
fenceman":38dxbtkr said:
Yeah buddy, you could call it cowboy 43 heifer depot. Get you a sign out on the highway. Some balloons. One of those crazy tube thinks that mounts on a big fan and flops around way up in the air. You could get a slick talking salesman with a big hat. You could even let people trade in their old cattle. Then you haul them to sale and make money on the flip...... ;-) ;-)

:lol: :lol: :lol: That reminded me of a movie I once saw, but can't remember the name of it now, funny.
It was good.

I met a guy earlier this year his main business is heifers. All his heifers are sold before they are even born. People sign contracts to buy all his heifer in one of his 3 herd. They are all F1 crosses he runs like 75 Brahma cows with Hereford bulls and another 75 Brahma cows with Angus bulls and 50 Brahma cows with Char bulls. Most of the heifers go to contract buyers and all the bulls get cut go on oats along with any cull heifers then to feed lots. Pretty impressive operation.

My daughter tried to sell a bull on craigslist. She got tons of calls, but most were from idiots. Even though they were wanting to buy this bull, she wasnt willing. The bull is mean, he's crazy if you lock him up by himself and some of the people were going to put him on a couple cows in their backyards and had no working pens... He's a nice looking bull, but i was shocked to hear we bought him. He's down at our corral right now and any time you walk by he paws the ground snorting...lol...Oh well..Big bull shortage around us right now. We used this bull last year for free, he's ok in the pasture with cows, just a nut locked up alone. Glad to have a 6 foot metal fence between him and me right now.
We had a group of heifers we culled. Thought about selling them on craigslist as open heifers. ...Someone comes and gets cows from your place and something doesnt go right, they can come back. I've see conversations on FB cow groups where a heifer they bought lost a calf and they blamed it on the seller...Too many noncattle people getting cows right now.