I have noticed a new Way to market heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
i see a lot of heifers for sale on Craigslist, they are asking 4 to 5 hundred dollars over auction prices, and do not have to pay the 4 per cent commission to the auction house. If yo don't mind dealing with the public And want to make more money this may be the thing to do. Their are a lot of city people or people without cattle knowledge that are looking to buy cattle and do not want to go to the auction. :cboy:

TennesseeTuxedo":2rsuj0wm said:
fenceman":2rsuj0wm said:
Have at it. I'll pass.

Why?

I've sold lots of items on Craig's over the years and this fall I plan to offer 20 bred heifers on there for the reasons cited by Cowboy43.
Didn't mean that to sound short. I dont like the steady stream of yayhoos and tirekickers people looking for something to steal etc. If it works for you sir . thats great . I'll pass

20 head x $500 over market value = $10000 plus you save about $2000 on commission = $12000 over market value.
I know a man that paid $2500 for heifers 3 months shy of breeding age. It will be 20 months before he sells the first calf.

cowboy43":2y77ohqa said:
20 head x $500 over market value = $10000 plus you save about $2000 on commission = $12000 over market value.
I know a man that paid $2500 for heifers 3 months shy of breeding age. It will be 20 months before he sells the first calf.
That's real good i guess. This is probably a flaw in my own personality. But i have a moral objection to overcharging. I dont do it in my business. When i have sold cattle at private treaty I've taken them to the local scales and wieghed them , and sold them according to market value. I'm crazy that way i guess.

fenceman":2oamt40a said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2oamt40a said:
fenceman":2oamt40a said:
Have at it. I'll pass.

Why?

I've sold lots of items on Craig's over the years and this fall I plan to offer 20 bred heifers on there for the reasons cited by Cowboy43.
Didn't mean that to sound short. I dont like the steady stream of yayhoos and tirekickers people looking for something to steal etc. If it works for you sir . thats great . I'll pass

+1. IMO, your local competitive livestock auctions still work and strive to earn their way to bring top dollar to their customers. Commission is a strong incentive . More $$$ for you = more $$$ for the auction.

Someone wants to buy cattle off the internet, they can now do it at every sale barn from the comfort of their own home. Sale barns are bonded and with extremely rare exceptions, you are sure to be paid. Dealing privately with unknown individuals is anybody's guess if their check is good :idea:

fenceman":1duat7vg said:
cowboy43":1duat7vg said:
That's real good i guess. This is probably a flaw in my own personality. But i have a moral objection to overcharging. I dont do it in my business. When i have sold cattle at private treaty I've taken them to the local scales and wieghed them , and sold them according to market value. I'm crazy that way i guess.

My question is why would anyone knowingly pay $500 "over market value" on like weight and quailty livestock :?:

At the sale barn on a given day, you will see hundreds of animals sold the same day to compare. Bid accordingly, keep your hands in your pockets, or come back next week. Your choice.

Whatever the market is, sale barn lunch is always good :p

As previously said, many people do not want to buy cattle at the sale barn. I would prefer to buy off the ranch also. The cattle haven't been exposed to the sale barn diseases, I can see the environment that they come from, and look directly in the eye of the seller. :)
Personally, I don't buy very often. But it would not be from the barn, it would be private.

Every thing that I have sold off of CL that was cattle related, sold to the first person that came out. Never dealt with any "tire kickers." I think it is all in what you have to sell. Some things are just going to attract looky loos.

I have responded to some ads , they ask for cash, cashiers check or certified funds that way their is no concern that the check is good. As for who pays over market value, they have no experience buying at sale barns , also the commission buyers have their own little click and if they see an inexperienced buyer they play their little game of running the price up. The inexperienced buyer probably feels intimidated and would rather buy from an individual seller thus paying above market value. Also they have full time jobs and have attended very few auctions to know how to buy. It is a whole new clientele for the experienced beef producer.

cowboy43":1x8a0la9 said:
I have responded to some ads , they ask for cash, cashiers check or certified funds that way their is no concern that the check is good. As for who pays over market value, they have no experience buying at sale barns , also the commission buyers have their own little click and if they see an inexperienced buyer they play their little game of running the price up. The inexperienced buyer probably feels intimidated and would rather buy from an individual seller thus paying above market value. Also they have full time jobs and have attended very few auctions to know how to buy. It is a whole new clientele for the experienced beef producer.
I'll. Still pass. But i will say you posted a very good argument. With some very good points :tiphat:

Another thought is : The ranchers that have these heifers for sale have superior cows that are almost subject to registration, they purchase expensive registered Bulls to breed the cows, the heifers they produce are too good to go to the auction and made into hamburger and steaks . By producing a superior product , a over market value is justified. Just like when you purchase a registered bull you pay 2 to 3 times over market value. Raising good replacement heifers can be a very successful business and get above market value for your cattle. Now is the best time the ranchers have ever seen in prices and good replacement heifers are in high demand . Think outside the box and look at different ways to market your calves. It is too easy to sell at auction , give them a 4 percent commission which can be $60 or more per head . It may take a little extra work but the payout will be worth it. Dealing and meeting new people ( as buyers ) can be a positive experience and make new friends and sometimes you may learn something new from them. Raise good replacements and get a good reputation you will not even have to advertise the people will come to you to purchase. :cboy:

cowboy43":1eecte5q said:
Another thought is : The ranchers that have these heifers for sale have superior cows that are almost subject to registration, they purchase expensive registered Bulls to breed the cows, the heifers they produce are too good to go to the auction and made into hamburger and steaks . By producing a superior product , a over market value is justified. Just like when you purchase a registered bull you pay 2 to 3 times over market value. Raising good replacement heifers can be a very successful business and get above market value for your cattle. Now is the best time the ranchers have ever seen in prices and good replacement heifers are in high demand . Think outside the box and look at different ways to market your calves. It is too easy to sell at auction , give them a 4 percent commission which can be $60 or more per head . It may take a little extra work but the payout will be worth it. Dealing and meeting new people ( as buyers ) can be a positive experience and make new friends and sometimes you may learn something new from them. Raise good replacements and get a good reputation you will not even have to advertise the people will come to you to purchase. :cboy:
Yeah buddy, you could call it cowboy 43 heifer depot. Get you a sign out on the highway. Some balloons. One of those crazy tube thinks that mounts on a big fan and flops around way up in the air. You could get a slick talking salesman with a big hat. You could even let people trade in their old cattle. Then you haul them to sale and make money on the flip...... ;-) ;-)

Before counting your cash, I'd suggest finding out if they're selling many for those prices, or just asking for those prices.

We have a local bull dealer in the area that buys Bulls in volume from large registered ranches all over Texas . He buys them as yearling and sells at 16 months up. He does not sell them as registered but they all come from large registered ranches. They are all Good Bulls not scrubs , he sells from 1100 to 1500 Bulls a year and does not advertise , he sells from word of mouth and large volume repeat customers. He is out of Augus Bulls at this time, I do not know his profit per bull but if you figure $500 x 1100 head Equals $550,000 . That just shows if you think outside the box and look at different ways to do things their is money to be made. I believe the same thing can be done with heifers if managed correctly. Like The Mel Gibson movie Field of Dreams quote (If you build it they will come) you just have the right formula to fit you operation. I am 70 years of age and looking at my past mistakes and learning from them. This is a idea I been pondering on for the last year and something I plan to pursue. :cboy:

cowboy43":18hk0xxt said:

Well said!!
If I wanted run of the mill mutt or commercial cattle, I would check out the sale barn and would also sell the same there. It's convenient and easy. I have never heard of anyone getting a premium on a registered animal at the sale barn. I have met several people who sell private treaty by word of mouth, by using their website or fb page, special breed auctions, and through CL. The commercial and mutt cattle have been sold on CL for quite a while and now the registered stuff is coming through too. A fella I check in with near Waco ran $40k in sales through CL on his Beefmasters. One he collected on was just 3 weeks old and sold to a guy in Mississippi. So, yes, there are many other ways to market other than the sale barn and pick up a few extra dollars in the process. It takes extra time and effort but it could be well worth it.

cowboy43":2p11jlrd said:
We have a local bull dealer in the area that buys Bulls in volume from large registered ranches all over Texas . He buys them as yearling and sells at 16 months up. He does not sell them as registered but they all come from large registered ranches. They are all Good Bulls not scrubs , he sells from 1100 to 1500 Bulls a year and does not advertise , he sells from word of mouth and large volume repeat customers. He is out of Augus Bulls at this time, I do not know his profit per bull but if you figure $500 x 1100 head Equals $550,000 . That just shows if you think outside the box and look at different ways to do things their is money to be made. I believe the same thing can be done with heifers if managed correctly. Like The Mel Gibson movie Field of Dreams quote (If you build it they will come) you just have the right formula to fit you operation. I am 70 years of age and looking at my past mistakes and learning from them. This is a idea I been pondering on for the last year and something I plan to pursue. :cboy:

I don't understand what he's doing that's "outside the box". I also don't buy for a minute that he's averaging $500 profit in 4 months time for 1500 animals/year. Where are your figures coming from?

I said last night, cowboy made some good points. Because he did. It just not for me. Like I said y'all have at it. If you set out to take advantage of people because they are New. That's questionable to me. Now if you think a cow is sorry or a mutt because it's at sale barn. You must be New. Craigslist or sale barn have no effect on the quality of an animal. The fact every body knows a guy that did this or that means nothing. I state a few actual FACTS. The local sale barn has served my family for four generations. Cattle are a commodity. Their value is set by market demand. The auction barn is the arena were professionals trade their commodity. Not a trash dump.At our local auction the auctioneer regularly points out defects he sees. A lump a bad eye etc. Any body can tell the value of a animal by seeing were the pros are at on it. In my observation usually if a inexperienced buyer is bidding. The order buyers will back off And let him buy his few head. To get him out of the way.