Soybean meal vs. canola meal

Help Support CattleToday:

novaman

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has experience with both of these protein supplements. This is to be used in a lactating ration for dairy cattle. I am currently using SBM and was planning to stay with it. The only reason I'm asking is a neighbor dairy is switching to canola meal because it is cheaper. While I hate the big price tag with SBM I have a feeling it is worth the extra expense. The amino acid profile seems to work well with corn silage and corn grain. Anybody have anything to share would be appreciated.

As long as you reformulate and balance the ration I don't think you'll see any differences in the milk tank..might even get a small bump in milk protein.

TexasBred":2dmx9ma7 said:
As long as you reformulate and balance the ration I don't think you'll see any differences in the milk tank..might even get a small bump in milk protein.
What would be the reason for the bump in milk protein? I am already feeding distillers so if there is a higher amount of RUP I wouldn't think it would change much? I guess the thing that I was really curious on was the amino acid makeup of canola meal and how compatible and/or complementive it would be to a corn-based ration. I've heard from several places that you can balance a ration using alternatives that are cheaper and make it look all good on paper but in the end just doesn't produce the milk like would be thought. This is the concern I have. Some small little difference between the two that would bite me in the long run. Thanks!

First I will state that I am biased, as I'm a director on Ontario's Canola Growers Board. BUT, the research done in Western Canada on canola meal vs. soymeal would indicate that you can expect a milk production boost from using canola meal, when you re-balance your ration. It is a very complimentary protein source, with a very complete amino acid profile. I don't have the research stuff at my fingertips at the moment, but I can get it during the week. Cole's notes version: don't be afraid of the switch. Your nutritionist probably has some experience/advice for your specific situation.

novaman":aqn6wtos said:
TexasBred":aqn6wtos said:
What would be the reason for the bump in milk protein? I am already feeding distillers so if there is a higher amount of RUP I wouldn't think it would change much? I guess the thing that I was really curious on was the amino acid makeup of canola meal and how compatible and/or complementive it would be to a corn-based ration. I've heard from several places that you can balance a ration using alternatives that are cheaper and make it look all good on paper but in the end just doesn't produce the milk like would be thought. This is the concern I have. Some small little difference between the two that would bite me in the long run. Thanks!

Nova if you're already feeding the DDG then mik protein probably wouldn't change much. I fed canola for a while when it dollared out well and it worked great for me. Don't worry to much about the amino acid profiles as you're not balancing amino acids anyway. (Lowering protein and raising the price is a hard sell ;-) ).

I never had any problems with the change to canola nor when I would periodically switch to cottonseed meal. Many of the alternative proteins work very well in dairy rations with no negative effects and no sacrifices.

Latest posts