soybean hulls and distillers grain seem kind of pricey

Help Support CattleToday:

simcross

Reaction score
I was pricing feed the other day, soybean hull pellets were 12.50 a hundred distillers dried grain was 12.00 a hundred corn at 3.90 bu. A 6000 lb batch of 1/3 soybean hulls 1/3 distillers grain and 1/3 cracked corn would be 629.28

I was pricing feed the other day, soybean hull pellets were 12.50 a hundred distillers dried grain was 12.00 a hundred corn at 3.90 bu. A 6000 lb batch of 1/3 soybean hulls 1/3 distillers grain and 1/3 cracked corn would be 629.28
I fed the same triple third mixture for years. Finally switched to mixing ddg and corn at home to save money. Ddg is a quality product. I have irreconcilable differences with purchasing it locally. They'd rather send it down the train tracks than fool with locals. That's fine, I understand the economics of that, but we were sold the bill of goods locally, that the plant would benefit everybody. I'll be feeding shelled corn this year. If it doesn't work out, I'll swallow my pride and buy ddg. Every 3 tons I feed, saves $250. I'll have to see what my gains look like and come up with a comparison.

Can you feed a protein supplement every other day or every third day to go with the shelled corn? Seems I've read on here before something about that.
Don't know enough about it to say, just throwing that out there. Maybe TB will see this.

I fed the same triple third mixture for years. Finally switched to mixing ddg and corn at home to save money. Ddg is a quality product. I have irreconcilable differences with purchasing it locally. They'd rather send it down the train tracks than fool with locals. That's fine, I understand the economics of that, but we were sold the bill of goods locally, that the plant would benefit everybody. I'll be feeding shelled corn this year. If it doesn't work out, I'll swallow my pride and buy ddg. Every 3 tons I feed, saves $250. I'll have to see what my gains look like and come up with a comparison.
Several years ago I would see people hauling it out of there in pickups, trailers or whatever as they couldn't get rid of it.

9.50 a hundred here for the soyhulls and 10.00 for the DDG.

Can you feed a protein supplement every other day or every third day to go with the shelled corn? Seems I've read on here before something about that.
Don't know enough about it to say, just throwing that out there. Maybe TB will see this.
I always feed cracked corn with a little protein, last year they talked me into feeding 1/3, 1/3 and 1/3 but now the price is to high, I just wondered if the price was high all over

Sim corn is probably even higher today. That price for distillers still looks like a bargain though it may be higher than you're use to. Wish I could get it at that price.

Latest posts